“Great for a short break, with a range of rooms to suit different budgets.”
Review of Hotel Rembrandt

Hotel Rembrandt
Ranked #179 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed here with my partner for 3 nights, just for a short break in Amsterdam. I chose this hotel as it was one of the only ones available that had en-suite bathrooms - many in the 300-500 euro range have shared bathrooms.

We booked a basic room, which was perfect for us as we were getting up reasonably early and staying out all day, but if we had been planning to spend longer in Amsterdam, I probably would have booked a more expensive room, as the basic one was a little bit dark! It really could have done with some extra lighting in there, but that aside, the bed was comfortable, we got clean towels every day and the shower was particularly good! It was quiet at night, and felt very private. They also have a resident cat called Bink, who took the opportunity to bound into our room and have a look around (probably trying to sniff out our stroopwaffels!) as we were leaving one day, so if you are allergic cats... maybe not the best choice of hotel.

The location is good - there is normally a tram stop right outside the hotel, but because of roadworks elsewhere in the city, there is currently a temporary diversion, so we had to walk 3 minutes down the road to catch the tram. You could easily walk the distance to the city centre anyway - it took about 20/25 minutes (at quite a slow pace) to walk to the Red Light District. The hotel is also very close to the Artis zoo, a botanical garden, and an outdoor play area, so great if you have children with you.

There is free wifi in this hotel, which I tried to access from the room on my mobile phone, but it was so slow, I gave up.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and there was always someone around when we needed them. The door was only locked at night on one occasion - we just rang the bell and someone was there straight away.

There was a whole stand of discount vouchers and leaflets, for Amsterdam's main attractions, in the hallway, so if you haven't already booked anything, it could give you some ideas.

The breakfast was 10 euros, which we didn't sample, so I cannot comment on that, but there were some cheaper and delicious options nearby, such as "Bagels and Beans".

Overall, we had a lovely comfortable stay, and I would stay here again for a similar trip. If I had more money, I would go for one of the luxury rooms, as the basic one was not well lit, but this had minimal impact on our overall experience.

Room Tip: The basic rooms aren't shown in the pictures! If you don't mind a small room, go for a basic...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 May 2013

to be honest, we were only at the hotel to sleep but it looked like a nice place even otherwise. the rooms are good size ones and the guys at the reception are really helpful. if you've got a bit of money to spend, i'd recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Vriendelijke mensen, dichtbij het centrum. Echt Amsterdams. Great breakfast. Safe. Friendly and homey atmosphere. Bink the cat is a nice treat too. Stayed there for four nights. Highly recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We visited Amsterdam just before the Queen's day, that why the prices everywhere including this hotel climbed up. This hotel has a good atmosphere and located in a quiet but central region.
Staff was very friendly and helpful which is not always a case in the Netherlands. We have not tried their breakfast so I do not know about it. There is a big Albert Heijn supermarket not far from the hotel. We also liked small nice park just at the corner.
Our room was very big, there was a lot of light although it was at the ground floor. It smelled odd in the corridor at the ground floor but in the room it was ok.
The only minus was that they have very noisy pump. If you use water (toilet, shower etc) it makes a loud sound like someone is firing a machine gun.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Apart from the absence of a lift, this is an excellent hotel with pleasant and helpful staff. Breakfast is worth the extra 10 Euro just to start the day in such original surroundings. Room was clean and free internet worked well.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I’ve stayed a few times at this quaint little hotel located in Plantage on the main road leading east. This is a nice residential area with the Artis (zoo) nearby as well as the Hortus Botanicus and it is gentrified and very quiet place. There are a few bars and cafés located around the same block as the hotel, perfect for lunch or a morning coffee.
The hotel itself is typical dutch townhouse converted into rooms which are clean although some areas are in need of a little renovation.
I got a smaller double this time which was a little pokey and I felt slightly overpriced but still had access to the terrace and a charming little patio beyond. Watch out for Bink the cat who wanders around to say hello. I would recommend paying extra and getting the large double.

It’s a lovely place to relax and leave your windows open to hear the birds in the evening.
Internet is very slow and only seems to work on one side of the room. Even then it was very patchy. There is a computer in the lobby.
A little banging coming from the adjoining rooms in the evening.
The best part of the hotel of course are the excellent and attentive staff who were extremely helpful. Recommended

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Judo101
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel, in a great location (not too far from centre) with very friendly and helpful staff.

The only issue I had was the room size (so small I constantly had to maneouvre my suitcase out of the way to facilitate movement), but I still gave this 4 stars because the I enjoyed staying there so much - the breakfast room is really nicely done up, and they have a nice lobby with comfy chairs you can sit in and read.

One thing to watch out for if you are a light sleeper is it is on a very busy road, so my room at the front was very noisy (especially because I like to have windows open at night) - though its fine for me, it might not be for you!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business