“Good stay”
Review of The Bulldog Hotel

The Bulldog Hotel
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed here with a party of 20 split between three rooms. Both rooms were clean with lockers which could be locked with your own padlocks. The rooms were quite at night, we were on the third floor, and had enough room to be able to feel comfortable. The location was central, about a 10 min walk from the main train station, within a 2 min walk of the main square and the lady windows about a min around the corner (this could be a good or bad thing). The bar down stairs is very smoky, not surprisingly, and was quite lively the two nights we were there with music and a well stocked bar. Great place for people travelling around Europe or as part of a group.
TIPS: don't take pictures of the women in the windows and if you are booking out rooms for a group of people have your cash ready to pay as they don't accept individual payments - we had three rooms and the whole balance needed paying in one payment.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank loopylisalou
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I rented an appartment with some friends (guys only - but I bet we left the appt cleaner than how we found it when we arrived) about 1yr ago. I only write my review today...better late than never.
We liked the appartment, it was lacking a TV at the time but from the new pictures on the website it seems they have corrected this flaw and redecorated as well. The bathroom was a bit pathetic though...Hope they did something about it. The beds were old but I'm confident they have done something about it.
Secury/lock systems on doors and windows are poor which worried me during the day, knowing all my personal stuff was vulnerable in a "lively" neighboorhood (back window of the appartment).
Check-in was quick but quite rude !! I just hate when people providing a service show so much of a lack of professionalism; I do not care if the bulldog will never be out of customers, I do not care if it's not luxury and the price is not high, I do not care about anything except the fact that customers should be welcomed decently. I do not like to be looked as suspicious the second I arrived for the check-in. I do not like to be warned 2 or 3 times on all the many reasons why I could be kicked-off; I mean I'm a client not a teenager, so people behind the desk show some respect especially when you are adressing people older than you.
I came to Amsterdam to have a good time so deal with it or stop doing this kind of business!
I do imagine this kind of behavior comes from lack of training or just lack of motivation and management could always react if anything too serious was to happen but still there is a real attitude problem.
Besides that I will probably come back as the location is really great and I said, the appartment was not bad at all. One way to improve could be a small welcome package with instant coffee, one or two drinks and peanuts or I don't know, soap...easy to do and it demonstrates that management pays attention.
As for the restaurants, bar, terrace, whatever.. I did not try them as I felt so unwelcomed at the main hotel that I avoided it until I had to check-out.
I feel they are close to something special with this concept but not quite at it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
jimbulldog, General Manager at The Bulldog Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Thank you for your reply. Getting feedback from our guests is of the utmost importance to us and we value it highly even if it is 1 year later!.

In the past year a lot has changed; our lounge bar and apartments have been completely renovated and are more beautiful and popular than ever. Our security team is very good at their jobs and well known in the neighborhood to everyone, so our guests can feel safe and secure when they are staying at the Bulldog.

I apologize that you were not well received by reception. Our guests are everything to us and we do not take them for granted. I cannot speak about the day you arrived as it happened quite some time ago but our staff work hard to help all of our guests and treat everyone with respect.

Our staff, of course are human and can have bad moments like anyone, but this is not indicitive of our service standards. I believe that if you had used our other facilities you would have seen that our reception, housekeeping and bar staff are among the best in Amsterdam.

Had we known of this at the time, we would have immediately addressed your concerns or issues withe the hotel. Hopefully you will give us a second chance!

Reviewed 13 June 2012

have been going to Amsterdam since 2000, ever since The Bulldog chain opened their hotel in Amsterdam, we have been staying there. Location is excellent, 10 minute walk maximum from Centraal Station. Dam Square round the corner no more than 3 minutes away, which is an excellent starting/meeting point to navigate the city.

The staff is friendly, there is a 24 hour chill out lounge where there is plenty of seating and tables. Breakfast is included in the morning, vending machines for some late night snacks and there is also security at the door in the evenings, which is good, but you just need to remember to take your room card with you to prove you're staying there.

Food and drinks is also available during most of the day/night, however it's so central to everything, food and drinks is always a short walking distance away.

Rooms normally cost about 30-40 a night, with showers in the rooms. Shared dorms are cheaper, but no shower facilities. Still, if its just a stop over, the shared dorms are excellent value. They also offer "villas" located at the top of the hotel, works out about £250 a night, but if you get a group of 5 or more, it works out £50 or less each, again, excellent value for the facilities and location.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CheN686
Reviewed 6 June 2012

A group of 17 ladies have just returned from a fantastic hen party trip after staying at the bulldog. I think that we all can say what a great stay we had there in a great location with everything that we needed to hand. Very centrally located, safe, clean with good attentive bar staff that kept the bar open for us later than it should have been.
We were very pleased that at the end of our stay the manager sat with us ask for feedback and ensure that we enjoyed our stay. He had even walked some of the group to the metro!
We would all stay at the Bulldog again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I used to live in Amsterdam and when I decided to go back and visit, I had the advantage of knowing a thing or two about the area. The Bulldog was the best choice because of its prime, central location and even though it is in the Red Light district, I felt completely safe staying there as a solo female traveler. They were strict about who was allowed into the hostel and very accommodating to any of my needs. The bar/restaurant downstairs is a nice hangout and convenient and the beds were super comfortable. Liked the set-up and enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Book in advance if you can, this place fills up fast!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jordan J
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We had an apartment for 5 persons. It turned out to be a 1 bedroom with a double and a single and a pull out couch for 2. The beds were fine but the 2 on the pullout complained about lack of sleep due to it being so uncomfortable. In the whole it was a large apartment by european standards with a kitchen and 1 bath with shower and sink and seperate room (very small) for the toilet. As well as the large living area that looked right out to the canal. The location was good because it was within walking distance of every where in the downtown area.
However it was also within the Red Light district so any short cuts down the nearby alleys came with a view, be that good or bad? The staff were all good and let us leave our luggage in a locked room on arrival as apartment was not ready. All in all a good stay and while not cheap at over 200 Euro for 5 people not a bad deal.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Trying-4-100
Reviewed 22 May 2012

First of all, the beds and pillows are clean and super comfortable. I stayed in a private room en suite with my friends and everything was perfect! Don't forget the shower shoes though!

Reception was very courteous and there is security. Great to know!

The hostel has everything. You really don't have to leave the building to eat or smoke but you should so you could get waffles or other delicacies in the area.

Oh! And the Red Light District is just around the corner. Sweet!

Room Tip: If your traveling with a bunch of people, get a private room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends