“Fab hostel”

The Bulldog Hotel
Walsall
“Fab hostel”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This place was great. Central location. Beds clean and comfortable. Excellent friendly staff. Great food and even greater bar with very good food which was served very late into the night. Stayed for three nights while seeing Pearll Jam at the Ziggo Dome. Would I go again....definitely.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Anstruther, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

Disappointing stay at the hotel,moved to a house boat staff could not care less room poor view of a brick wall and not clean !!! Shame

• Stayed January 2012
Thurles, Ireland
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Did not have high expectations of the Bulldog due to being situated in the middle of the rld eg did not think it would be safe/secure.However my expectations were exceeded somewhat - excellent location just minutes walk from the central train station (don't make the mistake of getting a taxi easy walk), comfortable spacious dorm room mine had a ensuite towel and good quality bed linen provided heard minimal noise at night,Staff at reception were ignorant and found most of them had an attitude problem (I think the sign behind the counter was very apt next mood swing 6 minutes) Except for one of the staff who was an absolute gentleman exceptionally helpful and friendly would liked to of thanked him but did not get the opportunity (think it may of been a manager), Free wifi in hostel but only on ground floor area did not reach 3rd floor even at the reception area the wifi speed was inadequate.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors are quieter lots of noise comes from the bar
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed here with a party of 20 split between three rooms. Both rooms were clean with lockers which could be locked with your own padlocks. The rooms were quite at night, we were on the third floor, and had enough room to be able to feel comfortable. The location was central, about a 10 min walk from the main train station, within a 2 min walk of the main square and the lady windows about a min around the corner (this could be a good or bad thing). The bar down stairs is very smoky, not surprisingly, and was quite lively the two nights we were there with music and a well stocked bar. Great place for people travelling around Europe or as part of a group.
TIPS: don't take pictures of the women in the windows and if you are booking out rooms for a group of people have your cash ready to pay as they don't accept individual payments - we had three rooms and the whole balance needed paying in one payment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank loopylisalou
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I rented an appartment with some friends (guys only - but I bet we left the appt cleaner than how we found it when we arrived) about 1yr ago. I only write my review today...better late than never.
We liked the appartment, it was lacking a TV at the time but from the new pictures on the website it seems they have corrected this flaw and redecorated as well. The bathroom was a bit pathetic though...Hope they did something about it. The beds were old but I'm confident they have done something about it.
Secury/lock systems on doors and windows are poor which worried me during the day, knowing all my personal stuff was vulnerable in a "lively" neighboorhood (back window of the appartment).
Check-in was quick but quite rude !! I just hate when people providing a service show so much of a lack of professionalism; I do not care if the bulldog will never be out of customers, I do not care if it's not luxury and the price is not high, I do not care about anything except the fact that customers should be welcomed decently. I do not like to be looked as suspicious the second I arrived for the check-in. I do not like to be warned 2 or 3 times on all the many reasons why I could be kicked-off; I mean I'm a client not a teenager, so people behind the desk show some respect especially when you are adressing people older than you.
I came to Amsterdam to have a good time so deal with it or stop doing this kind of business!
I do imagine this kind of behavior comes from lack of training or just lack of motivation and management could always react if anything too serious was to happen but still there is a real attitude problem.
Besides that I will probably come back as the location is really great and I said, the appartment was not bad at all. One way to improve could be a small welcome package with instant coffee, one or two drinks and peanuts or I don't know, soap...easy to do and it demonstrates that management pays attention.
As for the restaurants, bar, terrace, whatever.. I did not try them as I felt so unwelcomed at the main hotel that I avoided it until I had to check-out.
I feel they are close to something special with this concept but not quite at it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
jimbulldog, General Manager at The Bulldog Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for your reply. Getting feedback from our guests is of the utmost importance to us and we value it highly even if it is 1 year later!.

In the past year a lot has changed; our lounge bar and apartments have been completely renovated and are more beautiful and popular than ever. Our security team is very good at their jobs and well known in the neighborhood to everyone, so our guests can feel safe and secure when they are staying at the Bulldog.

I apologize that you were not well received by reception. Our guests are everything to us and we do not take them for granted. I cannot speak about the day you arrived as it happened quite some time ago but our staff work hard to help all of our guests and treat everyone with respect.

Our staff, of course are human and can have bad moments like anyone, but this is not indicitive of our service standards. I believe that if you had used our other facilities you would have seen that our reception, housekeeping and bar staff are among the best in Amsterdam.

Had we known of this at the time, we would have immediately addressed your concerns or issues withe the hotel. Hopefully you will give us a second chance!
London
Reviewed 13 June 2012

have been going to Amsterdam since 2000, ever since The Bulldog chain opened their hotel in Amsterdam, we have been staying there. Location is excellent, 10 minute walk maximum from Centraal Station. Dam Square round the corner no more than 3 minutes away, which is an excellent starting/meeting point to navigate the city.

The staff is friendly, there is a 24 hour chill out lounge where there is plenty of seating and tables. Breakfast is included in the morning, vending machines for some late night snacks and there is also security at the door in the evenings, which is good, but you just need to remember to take your room card with you to prove you're staying there.

Food and drinks is also available during most of the day/night, however it's so central to everything, food and drinks is always a short walking distance away.

Rooms normally cost about 30-40 a night, with showers in the rooms. Shared dorms are cheaper, but no shower facilities. Still, if its just a stop over, the shared dorms are excellent value. They also offer "villas" located at the top of the hotel, works out about £250 a night, but if you get a group of 5 or more, it works out £50 or less each, again, excellent value for the facilities and location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CheN686
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

A group of 17 ladies have just returned from a fantastic hen party trip after staying at the bulldog. I think that we all can say what a great stay we had there in a great location with everything that we needed to hand. Very centrally located, safe, clean with good attentive bar staff that kept the bar open for us later than it should have been.
We were very pleased that at the end of our stay the manager sat with us ask for feedback and ensure that we enjoyed our stay. He had even walked some of the group to the metro!
We would all stay at the Bulldog again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends