“Overpriced with rude staff.”
Review of The Bulldog Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Bulldog Hotel
Dublin
“Overpriced with rude staff.”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I found the staff here to be the most rude and unhelpful that I have ever encountered. Maybe, due the location in the red light district, they have to put up with some troublesome guests but there is absolutely no justification for treating all customers in the the sneering, condescending manner in which they do.
I've stayed in hostels all over the world and felt at home in the most basic of accommodations but the attitude of the staff here was the worst I have ever encountered.
To add insult to injury, we were charged an additional 25 euro per person on top of the price agreed at the time of booking as we were told that the room we had stayed in was larger than the one we had originally booked. Admittedly, there were a couple of spare beds put it was not our request to be put in this room, it was merely what we were given. Since they had held onto our passports, we were in no position to argue. To say that i felt conned would be a massive understatement. This was nothing short of the type of scam that you might expect in some far flung third world country and seriously dented my image of Amsterdam as a friendly city.
And to top it all, I ended up coming home with bites all over my body. I looked like a version of the elephant man. I t took me a few days after I got home before I put two and two together and came to the conclusion - that dump had BED BUGS!!!!!
Having stayed in this hostel, I was absolutely livid at how I was treated.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Micheal C
jimbulldog, Manager at The Bulldog Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
I am are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience. However, I would like to clear a few things. Firstly, Our staff work very hard to treat all of our guests with kindness and respect. I apologize if you feel you were not treated properly. Secondly, The Bulldog Hotel always honours our booking confirmations. The price confirmed to you is the amount charged at arrival. You would only be charged more if you arrived with additional people.Thirdly, We ask for a photo Id as a key deposit for those that wish to have a key, you are not required to leave your passport with us, in fact we prefer you hang on to your passport! Finally, while it does not happen very often, we take accusations of bed bugs very seriously and these reports are investigated immediately by professionals and the reported room is closed off to guests.
I would be happy to discuss these matters with you and try to bring some resolution to your poor experience. Certainly this is not in keeping with our standards or with the experience our guests have at our Hostel. I urge you contact us at info@bulldoghotel.com with the details of your stay and we will be happy to address the issues you had with our hostel and do our best to make it right for you.

Regards,

Robert Jones
Reception Manager
Bulldog Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Richfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We had a group of 7 that were meeting up in Amsterdam. 5 of us stayed in an apartment and 2 of us stayed in door rooms. The apartments were the perfect size and all 7 of us were able to chill in there. We had a whole floor of windows that opened to the canal below. You won't find a better location to hang out and people watch in all of Amsterdam.
The only thing I would point out is that this is a pot friendly hostel so if that bothers you, do not stay here. It is allowed in most of the hostel and is impossible to escape.

Room Tip: Get an apartment if you have 4-5 people. It might be a little more expensive, but is a great experie...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bordeaux, Aquitaine, France
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My experience was second to none, the best staff I have never met, I was so tired for my long trip and they help me with my room, they let me check in 2 hrs in advance. The room w so clean, hotel ambience was incredible, loung bar until 3am, the breakfast included was nice, coffee shop just getting out and the location is just great, seriously you can as more. They are always ready to help you with addresses and tips.
This hotel is absolutely recommended, thanks again for the best weekend ever!!!

No tengo palabras para agradecer a este hotel por el trato recibido, mil y un gracias, espero volver pronto.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 August 2012

The hostel's location is excellent and I would likely stay here again. I liked that there was a restaurant bar downstairs where I could order a selection of food and beverages. The hostel was extremely clean and came with storage lockers for each guest in the bedrooms. Having a toilet, sink and shower for each bedroom was a great upside, however I did not like that the sinks do not come with handsoap for washing your hands after using the toilet.

One of the mornings I had the front desk crew come up to the bedroom and shake me awake at a very early hour, thinking that I needed to check out that day. I really didn't appreciate being abruptly awoken like that. A friend in another room also had this happen that same morning. When I advised the staff member that I wasn't checking out that day, he shrugged and left the room.

I found the hostel to be quite dark and had quite a bit of trouble meeting people.

Otherwise, I would consider staying at The Bulldog again on my next visit. I will be looking at my options.

Room Tip: Any room, but bring your own handsoap.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This place is actually classed as a hostel, but was very clean & comfortable. Location was great and easy to get around. Staff were pleasant and price was awesome. Only small issue was check in time was not till 3pm & after a long flight etc the wait was killer!!! Lol

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane S
Lemonade74
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We rented an apartment at the Bulldog which was convenient and easy to book through their website, and were very happy with the location - everything was right on our doorstep. The accommodation was quite basic with no frills which we expected but it wasnt cheap. The kitchen facilities were limited with no kettle and we couldnt get the hob to work so boiled water using the microwave! And there was no television - apparently this had been taken away for repair and would not be reinstalled until after our stay. Wifi access was very patchy and erratic.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This hostel was for the most part great!! Very clean, public transport, restaurant, shopping, clubs, red light district moments away!! Very friendly people...helpful...but be warned, if you don't smoke weed (I don't) you will get second hand high from the ground floor lounge. Smoke everywhere, but hey, it's Amsterdam right?

The only thing I didn't like was that there was no proper area to "just chill." Lounge area to hang out was a full on bar/restaurant so it felt weird hanging out in your downtime if you weren't planning on getting something at that time. Overall great!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo