Gaasper Camping Amsterdam
US$283
US$208
Room Mate Hotels
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$176
ibis
  • Restaurant
NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$208
US$269
US$219
  • Restaurant
MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$144
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
US$461
US$333
  • Room Service
NH Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$216
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$131
  • Restaurant
All reviewshot watershower blockshop on sitemin walk to the metrotidy sitewash dishescamping placeeasy access to centrepublic transportsmall supermarketamazing locationnight staycaravanfacilitiesreceptionacsicity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We are three Australians touring Europe in a motor home and this is by far the best campsite we have been to. The facilities are clean (toilet paper supplied). It is a five minute walk from the Metro and you are in Amsterdam in 20 minutes, tickets can be purchased from the reception. the only negative thing we can say is, there is only one laundry and it was quite a way from our stand. There is a supermarket and a restaurant run by Sally and her husband. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was excellent. The menu was not extensive but more than adequate. They also do take a way pizza which was yummy!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just returned from 10 days staying here, 5 minutes from the train station, straight into Amsterdam which took 20 minutes to Central Station. This site is not just about Amsterdam though as we took our bikes and rode to some of the local villages, cycle routes are so easy, also the camp is on the edge of a park with lakes to cycle or walk around, I can not say how pretty the local area is, loads of wildlife with Herons nesting in the park. The toilets and showers are clean, you only get 5 minutes to shower which you have to purchase tokens for but I found 5 minutes was just long enough.
The shop is well stocked fresh bread, daily papers and the restaurant is welcoming, relaxing and has been done up this season with a nice outside area, really friendly staff who could not do enough for us, we ate there 3 times but they do a take away service as well.
I can not find any fault with the camp site or the staff and would have no hesitation to go back there again or recommending it to anyone.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We took our motorhome on a city break trip to Amsterdam. This site was chosen to me away from the stag/hen market on other campsites in Amsterdam.
We were offered a pitch along side other motorhomes, close enough to the facilities.
The site is very pleasant with lots of grass, hedges and nature all around.
We bought shower tokens for a 5 min shower - a Dutch 5 minutes? The shower block was heated and also very clean. The toilets are situated outside the shower block, on the edge of the building and well ventilated!

Travelling by Metro into Amsterdam was very easy, as we used the travel passes bought from reception. Travelling around Amsterdam on metro, buses and trams was very easy as the pass covered all forms of transport.
We found the Reception staff friendly and helpful.
We had dinner in the on-site restaurant one evening and found it good value for money and of good quality. We had the fillet steak cooked on a hot stone which was excellent. Service and ambiance was both pleasant and warm. A great deal of effort has gone into the refurbishment of the Terrace restaurant with great little touches of candles/blankets for eating outside/bright cushions and general decor. We would return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank MuvvaHubb21
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We have just spent an excellent 3 nights at this site, which is well signpost from the motorway. The staff were extremely friendly, and the site including the toilet block (with toilet paper) was warm and immaculate. Each pitch has its own water and electricity, some with hard standing, and are most separated with high hedges. It was easy to pitch the caravan with a mover, but could have been tight without. There was free wifi but I failed to pick it up. It was a 5-10 min walk to the metro, after buying the tickets at the campsite, then 10-20 mins to the centre of Amsterdam. We avoided queues at some museums by buying the tickets at the campsite. We spent 3 days walking, boating on the canals and in the museums. Although we had taken our bikes, we didn't ride into Amsterdam as it rained hard for one day and on/off for the second day, but it looks straightforward as long as you have a serious chain lock.

Room Tip: They ask if you have a mover on your caravan, so may pitch you on a more open pitch if you haven't. But we did see one caravaner struggle to leave the pitch without scratching his car on the hedge.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnHeather
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This camping site is located in the south-eastern outskirts of Amsterdam, and it is easily reached by Metro from a couple of prominent stations in the city centre. From the Main Station it is about a 20 minutes ride, followed by an easy 5 minutes walk from the station “Gaasperplas” to the actual camping site. Watch out, however, to walk in the right direction while leaving the Metro station, because there are no signposts indicating where to go. When you exit the Metro, turn left and follow the bicycle lane leading past a snack bar. Soon you’ll reach a parking lot. Cross it and there you are. Easy and comfy.

Once you approach the camping entrance you’ll be very likely spotted by a (juvenile) watchman (probably on bike), who is guarding the premises against unsolicited entry. He’ll give you a form which you fill in and hand it over to the reception. You’ll pay right upon registration (2 people on foot with one tent is 17,50 Euros per night in 2012) and get a receipt plus (probably the most important document for the coming days) a small green card, which you are supposed to carry with you at all times. Without card no re-entry to the site. You’ll be even asked to produce it when you purchase shower coins in the shop or in the restaurant. I have not been able to figure out, who the hell would try to sneak illegally into the camping site – and then buy a shower coin for a splash. Honestly, if someone wants to enter the site illegally, he’ll just wait for the guard to be busy dealing with a long row of waiting caravans – and go in. Probably the last thing such a person thinks of is to refresh him.

After payment you’ll be told to present yourself in front of the reception, where one of three (or 4?) bicycle born watchmen/advisors/guards will pick you up eventually and escort you to your designated place, giving you a slight feeling of Camp Warehouse. Not bad if you are on foot, loaded probably with a heavy backpack, because you try to keep up to the speed of a cycling guy, who is about to lead you to the right pitch. After a last warning to stay put there, you are free to deal with your business of setting-up your tent.

The site itself consists of several lawns and camper parking areas which are pleasantly separated from each other by bushes and hedges. The lawns are perfectly trimmed and little camping sub-sections are marked with red and white banderols. Also, there must be at least one dust bin for every single camper present on the site. Toilettes, showers and washing facilities are sufficient – in number and cleanliness, and are scattered over the site.

This site obviously caters to families and people who like clear-cut structures and regulations. As a result of that you will have the opportunity to survey a cross-European middle class life, with all its routines and rituals. The majority however seem to be visitors from Italy, Spain and France, who stick to themselves. Inter-cultural socializing is seemingly not commonly practiced among the visitors.
If you are young and out to spend a week partying – both in town and on the camping site, this clearly is not the place to head for. For this purpose you have to address the Camping “Zeeburg” (see description Zeeburg). If you’d come back here (Gaasper) in the evening, perhaps stoned out of your mind, and started your ghetto blaster for a final round of Curt Cobain, you’d be immediately evicted by the watchmen crew.
For people with children however, the place is great. Nothing to worry, no deep water, no nearby highways – just relaxing. There is more than enough space for every camper, so you don’t get on each other’s nerves too easily. The restaurant seems reasonably priced, with the exemption of beer. A pint is 3, 75 €, but a visit to a local supermarket can avoid this expense. There is an open-air sitting area, but the kitchen closes at 9:30 pm (in peak season!) At 11 pm things get calm at Gaasper Camping.

Next morning is here and you are hungry, longing for a refreshing shower, and this is where – at least for me – the dark side of this site starts. It is 8:30 am, the reception is still closed, but the shop is already open. You hop there to grab some bread (which is plentiful there) – and you wonder, why the people working there are looking so pissed already at this early stage of the day. All of them, including their boss – and not only once. I felt, it was a little bit like a shut up buy and [--] off atmosphere. The cashier lady scrutinized every single banknote with the help of a black light, and when I turned up to pay, I had only a 2 Euro coin which I put smilingly between my teeth to indicate that it was a real one. I should not have done that because the lady’s face went from pissed to outright angry. “Are you sure it is real?” she barked at me with a look that could kill – no nonsense here and a great good morning encounter. Asking her, if she has previously worked in a military prison I walked away.
Next morning I hopped into a shower, looking forward to a splash. I inserted the coin and then happened – nothing. The machine took it and left me standing dry and naked. I dressed up again and went to the shop/restaurant/reception area to get my lost coin replaced and inform them about the snag, when I stumbled over a sour looking shopkeeper. I told him I had a problem and he could help me to solve it. I narrated the story to him, expecting to hear “oh sorry man here we go. Take a new coin; we’ll inspect the machine later on.”
Instead of that he told me, that this was not his business, he had other things to do and after all he had nothing to do with the camping site. I thought “hello, this guy is running in and out of every premise on the site, owning the shop and the restaurant (where he sells shower coins), and tells me he has nothing to do with all that.” I let him know that even if he was not immediately concerned with repairing machines and what not, it would have been a sign of customer related friendliness to help first and settle it, when the reception opened. He decided not to do this, and I left it that way. My senses however where sharpened now and I recognized a couple of shortcomings on that seemingly perfect site. Above all, were over-regulations and the continued sour faces of some of the camping staff that make one feel slightly guilty and unwelcome –with the exception of the reception ladies. They do a great job, in the face of 20-30 inpatient people cramped in the reception and eager to check-in or leave. I asked myself: “what do you expect?” and I decided that my factors for feeling well on a camping site were: a little less control fetishism, a little more dedication to address the customers’ real needs and the will to improvise if the need arises. I can live with some structural short-comings if the vibe is positive. Or the other way round, what’s the use of a perfectly organised and managed site if you do not feel well there? At the end it is a matter of personal priorities.
So what would be my conclusion?
It was okay for me as a base for exploring Amsterdam, but not more. No real social life, unless one belongs to a cluster of campers with similar cultural background. I’d go there again only if another Camping site was full.

Pros:
- Connexion to the city and a very short walking distance from the Metro station “Gaasperplas” to the actual camping-site
- A lot of camping space (which you are not allowed to choose from freely)
- Cleanliness
- Reservation option (even for tents)

Cons:
- Camp-like rules and regulations
- Feeling of being a burden for the crew
- A certain unfriendliness (by some of the staff)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Oliver U