“Comfortable, clean and affordable”
Review of King Hotel

King Hotel
Ranked #285 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Room was a comfortable size, very clean and shower was great(even had dispensable shower gel/shampoo/conditioner inside the shower!) Although there was some building work going on downstairs, our room was on the 4th floor so it wasn't too much of a problem for us, however I do think the hotel owners should of warned all their guests in advance. Our TV was on the edge of falling off the wall, but it held out and there was a selection of English channels which was a pleasant surprise. When we arrived we were told we had to put down a €20 deposit for the room key card, which we had not been made aware of. Breakfast was what you'd expect from continental; cereal, bread, ham, cheese, boiled eggs, delicious yoghurts and a choice of drinks. Staff were helpful and friendly and hotel is in a great location for trams etc. Overall the hotel was very good value, better than I expected! Reading some of the reviews on here before going I was apprehensive but we had a great stay and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a double room, make sure you request one in your reservation as you may end up with a tw...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for King Hotel

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I don't think this hotel is worthy of three stars, two at best, the rooms are very small and basic. Very annoyed to find we are sharing the place with a set of smelly builders. The smell of stale sweat fills the hotel and not in a pleasant way either. They are banging and crashing all day and as late as seven pm whilst they modernise the ground floor. It might have been nice if the hotel had warned us of upcoming building works when booking.

The single bed is so narrow I have to be careful when turning over or I will fall out.

The first night at 5am I had to call reception as people in the room opposite were being idiots and keeping us all awake. Fair play to the night porter who did sort out the problem though.

You have to pay extra to use the safe in your room. The towels are tiny and you only get one.

Good points: There seems to be a never ending supply of hot water, well located for town, canal side location; however I can’t see it from my room. The breakfast, such as it is, is free at least.

Beware though some of the staff are grumpier than I am ;)

Room Tip: Room 3 is very small and has no view. This is not a quiet hotel at night because of drunk guests goi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank whistlingtune
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Small but clean room, continental breakfast at Quentin Hotel next door, great position near Leidseplein, easy to reach with public transport. Good place/position to start exploring the city. Friendly staff, helped us to print boarding passes and baggage storage.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank l_diana13
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I arrived at the hotel to be greeted by the receptionist arguing (loudly) with some residents. It then took half an hour to check in as they had lost my booking. It was later explained that this was my fault as I had only booked it the night before.

I then entered my room which was satisfactory (not 3-star worthy as I had been promised), the room had the very basics and did not provide towels. 10 minutes later, a man walked into my room without knocking. He said he would like to retrieve his bag from the cupboard. He gave no explanation as to why his bag was there in the first place.

Not a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex G
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is a budget hotel but it appears to be connected to the larger hotel next door which was being decorated and upgraded. Free tea and coffee in rooms and breakfast was continental but plenty of choice. Steep stairs but lift. Staff helpful. Very good position on the canal and near shops, trams etc Room was clean and basic

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

If you are looking for more than simple bed and breakfast this may not be the place for you. If like my partner and I you want a comfortable place to stay whilst spending the days exploring the City its perfect. The room was clean and warm, the staff friendly and the hotel was situated just yards from the tram system. We would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Our hotel booking was supposed to be at the Quentin Hotel. (right next door) but when we went to check in they told us that we were actually booked in this hotel. Quentin being a 3 star hotel and the "sister" hotel to King Hotel, which is a 2 star. We had a group of 9 people requiring 5 rooms. They moved 3 rooms to the Golden Bear Hotel, a 1 star hotel, and 2 in the King hotel. The rooms were extremely sub par, with electrical outlets hanging off the wall with wires exposed. The shower reminded me of a high school locker room shower complete with the liquid soap one would expect in a public bathroom. The included breakfast was piss poor at best. The coffee was black mud, even with added creamer. The bread was stale, and the eggs were spoiled.

Room Tip: Do Not Book Here!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends