“Afghan experience”
Review of Mantoe

Mantoe
Reserve with
Mantoe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,144 of 4,045 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Small restaurant in Jordaan with only 1 menu. They ask you if you are allergic or don't eat meat, etc. The food was really good, fresh and tasty.
A bit expensive for what you get, but worth it.
Too bad you cannot for example order mezze / starters, as we eat them in those countries as a dinner.
Service is a bit slow, but smiling and kind.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The price is very expensive and we were 2 hours waiting the plates. The food had not quality for the price. I don´t recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank trallazo3
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is a small, neighborhood restaurant in the Jordaan, run by a brother and sister who were born in Afghanistan. They offer a single menu - their choice -- making sure there will be nothing you hate or are allergic to. The appetizers were simple and good, the pasta dish ("mantoe") amazing. The grilled meat was fabulous and came with stewed turnips and roasted cauliflower, more veal, and a rice pudding-type dessert. Really lovely, and there was a nice selection of wines, too. We spent 40 Euros a person, and took food home with us. No credit cards, however. We will certainly be back!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Went here for a Wednesday evening dinner with my husband. I had heard good reviews about the place but didn't have any big expectations. Thought that I would have a maincourse and that's it. When we went there and the waitress explained that we can have the maincourse or a surprise set menu that was 31 euros. We decided to go for the set menu and I'm glad we did. The menu included a 7 course menu (if i counted correctly) with first some tapenade, olives and bread followed by a lovely bulgur salad, then some lovely spicy pies and some filled pasta. After that there were two sets of lovely vegetable and meat dishes. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the names of the dishes, but have to say that I fell in love with the spices they used Like a mix or oriental and Russian flavours. All dishes were beautiful and absolutely delicious. Though there were many dishes the portions were quite nice in size so we were able to really enjoy everything we ate. I cannot imagine anything more horrible than the fact that you are served good food but are too full to consume it. The dinner ended with a lovely and refreshing nut and cardamom ice cream. The service was also very good. I would definitely recommend this lovely place.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I folllowed TripAdvisor's recommendations to this restaurant, tucked away in Jordaan. I've eaten Afghani cuisine before but not for a long time, so wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised, not least because there's no menu - you opt either for a full meal or main only and pay a set amount + beverages. Food was absolutely delicious and there was more than enough of it. The only thing that stops my review from being 5/5 is the speed of service. The waitress was polite and friendly but we had to wait a long time to be brought menus and there was a gap between courses which could have been shorter. But this is a minor complaint in what was, all in all, a delicious, good value, unusual meal.