“Beautiful building, poor conditions for the horses”

Levend Paardenmuseum De Hollandsche Manege
Ringkobing, Denmark
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful building, poor conditions for the horses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

A different experience i the middle of the town. The building is beautiful, though in need of a helping hand. The conditions for the horses seem poor - very little space for each horse, and no outside area. If the conditions for the horses were better, it would be a wonderfull experience.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank ingerr2013

Stornoway, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cruel living conditions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

The building is beautiful but to keep 55 horses in such a small area, with no turn out is cruel. Their stables are like cages and too small for such big animals, they looked very subdued and did not have hay or anyway of interacting with each other, nothing to keep them occupied. I understand that this building is an important part of the working horse history in Amsterdam but it is in need of an update to benefit the horses living condition. Maybe to keep the horses at another location but still use the building as a arena? I mentioned my thoughts about lack of turn out to the reception girl and she did say that they were working on a small paddock out the back, this is too long over due and i can guarantee will not be adequate for the amount of horses kept there. Horses need time and space to just be horses.

I am not an animal rights obsessed person merely someone with horses of my own and an understanding of what basic care they need. This is a publicly owned riding school.
I have nothing to say about the cafe, it is not relevant.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Mulberry1991
Peterborough, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Not chic but really charming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We saw this in the guidebook and wanted to get away from the centre (and canals) so trammed and strolled to the stable. The lonely planet guidebook had said it was free but on arrival they have obviously got wise so charged us €6 each. The welcome was friendly and we made our way to the cafe overlooking the riding arena. The cafe is, as others have said, really lovely to look at, the decor is fab and the arena is also pretty amazing bearing in mind it was built for riding. The service is poor - young girls presumably on minimum wage who aren't really interested in customer service, but we had a cup of tea and sat in pleasant quiet whilst two people had riding lessons below us. We read papers, and just relaxed for an hour or so with no bother. We visited the stables afterwards and it was lovely to say hello to the horses - but when they are busy I think that might be more difficult. I don't think I would consider eating here - certainly not pay for high tea - on the basis of the service and the way (as is often the case in foreign countries) the tea is made by giving you hot water in a cup and a tea bag at the side. But if you want to step out of the melee of tourists in Amsterdam it is a good place to go.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank RevelsMaster
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Mmagnificant stable nestled in Amsterdam city.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

The first timme mmy husband brought mme to the Hollandsche Manege I was really immpressed that such a large horse stable was nestled smmack dab in the mmiddle in the city setting of Amsterdam. It really is a mmagnificant old fashioned stable. The general public are permmitted to visit during opening hours. Mmy first visit an young lady was doing her gallop practices on a white horse.
As I haven't eaten there yet, I can only comment that there is a cute restaurant area overlooking the arena for refreshmments, snacks, lunch, stronger beverages.
Last week I happened to be wandering by, but had a little dog with mme so I didn't enter the stables. I was able to peek in fromm the stable doorways. A white horse poked its head over the edge of his stall a few timmes to peek our way! Where I grew up, we didn't have horses. I love being able to go and freely be able to check out all the horses and if you're lucky you can see drammatic practices in progress!
The video link (Dutch spoken) will give you a superb idea of how charmming the manege actually is.
isabelydancer00

Visited May 2013
Amsterdam
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“High tea below average. Poor Service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We went for high tea using what we thought seemed like a great deal on groupon. We invited a couple of friends and hoped it would be a great experience after all we had read on tripadvisor. I have to say that our experience was not good. I would not recommend going here unless it's for a simple cup of coffee. High tea is not worth it if you pay full price. The service was bad, the food was below average.

On the plus side, the atmosphere was quite beautiful. The cafe overlooks the horse-riding area. The Hollands Manege is a building with nice architecture and quite a classic feeling to it. It's a cool place to walk around if you're looking to explore something different in the Amsterdam area.

The small little cafe apparently books up quickly, so you need to reserve your "high tea" far in advance.

When we arrived for high tea, the table was prepared, but the service was awful. The 1 person working in the restaurant was young and not really interested in serving anyone. We had to go up to get her attention about 5 times before we were served. Additionally, getting extra hot water for tea was a challenge. Sandwiches were small and dry, the scones were not fresh, and the little candies were OK but way too sweet.

The only service oriented person was the person who handled our booking, who was easy to work with and quite helpful. All in all, I can't recommend this place and we likely will not go back.

Visited November 2012