“If you're a 'horsey' person:”

Levend Paardenmuseum De Hollandsche Manege
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Euro 8 to get in (free coffee included) - an impressive recently restored building (just outside Vondelpark) - only worth a visit if you like horses, if you do, then you're in your element!
You can walk round the stables, sit on the balcony & watch riders work out & in the cafeteria there's a short introductory folm about the history of the ménage while you drink your complimentary coffee / tea!

4  Thank ChrisnSue M
There are newer reviews for Levend Paardenmuseum De Hollandsche Manege

Reviewed 9 April 2014

For people interested in horses, riding and history, this is a nice getaway when in Amsterdam. We went there our last day of the trip, and it was perhaps the highlight of our holiday. The manege is beautiful, the people are nice, and the horses seemed friendly and harmonious. I, as a few others, reacted on the lack of space for the horses, but I guess they are doing what they can to keep the horses happy, and even though we have space enough where we come from that is often not the case coming into the bigger cities. All in all we had a great time, and I would definitely visit another time.

1  Thank Siw M A
Reviewed 17 March 2014

A different experience i the middle of the town. The building is beautiful, though in need of a helping hand. The conditions for the horses seem poor - very little space for each horse, and no outside area. If the conditions for the horses were better, it would be a wonderfull experience.

2  Thank ingerr2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The building is beautiful but to keep 55 horses in such a small area, with no turn out is cruel. Their stables are like cages and too small for such big animals, they looked very subdued and did not have hay or anyway of interacting with each other, nothing to keep them occupied. I understand that this building is an important part of the working horse history in Amsterdam but it is in need of an update to benefit the horses living condition. Maybe to keep the horses at another location but still use the building as a arena? I mentioned my thoughts about lack of turn out to the reception girl and she did say that they were working on a small paddock out the back, this is too long over due and i can guarantee will not be adequate for the amount of horses kept there. Horses need time and space to just be horses.

I am not an animal rights obsessed person merely someone with horses of my own and an understanding of what basic care they need. This is a publicly owned riding school.
I have nothing to say about the cafe, it is not relevant.

5  Thank Mulberry1991
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We saw this in the guidebook and wanted to get away from the centre (and canals) so trammed and strolled to the stable. The lonely planet guidebook had said it was free but on arrival they have obviously got wise so charged us €6 each. The welcome was friendly and we made our way to the cafe overlooking the riding arena. The cafe is, as others have said, really lovely to look at, the decor is fab and the arena is also pretty amazing bearing in mind it was built for riding. The service is poor - young girls presumably on minimum wage who aren't really interested in customer service, but we had a cup of tea and sat in pleasant quiet whilst two people had riding lessons below us. We read papers, and just relaxed for an hour or so with no bother. We visited the stables afterwards and it was lovely to say hello to the horses - but when they are busy I think that might be more difficult. I don't think I would consider eating here - certainly not pay for high tea - on the basis of the service and the way (as is often the case in foreign countries) the tea is made by giving you hot water in a cup and a tea bag at the side. But if you want to step out of the melee of tourists in Amsterdam it is a good place to go.

1  Thank RevelsMaster