“Absolutely great...”

Ranked #275 of 540 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cafe on the far side of Vondelpark where your children can make their own food.
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Note that the TripAdvisor app map location is incorrect. The café is on Kattenlaan just outside the Vonder park. Our 2 year old loved making a pizza and playing in the sandpit. Sandwiches and toasties available for adults. Kids can make a range of dishes - icing little cakes seemed very popular. Despite what some reviews say, it's hygienically clean and the only mess is what you would expect for a café where kids prepare the food!

1  Thank stanners78

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We visited here with our children aged 11, 8 and 5, all of whom love to cook and were looking forward to it but quickly disappointed. As I understood it, on most days, all children can do is prepare a few items at the "Do It Yourself" bar, which means they collect a tray with ingredients and tools to make one of the following very basic items: cupcake with frosting, very small pizza with simple toppings, smoothie, maybe a sandwich, and a few others. I am not a germaphobe at all, but this place was NOT clean... not the tables, the tools or most of the ingredients. There were about three communal bowls of frosting for the cupcakes, which you take to your table. You know that children that day dipped their fingers in those bowls of frosting, licked, dipped again, and then the bowls were returned for common use. It also means that someone else is likely to be using the color you want. The staff did not tell my children to wash their hands before cooking, so I did, and the towel in the bathroom was a cloth one that who knows how many other people had used. (I know the cloth handtowels are common in European public bathrooms, but for a place based on children cooking, I think disposable paper towels would have been better).

My 8 and 11 year old finished the cooking in about 2 minutes, and the play stuff there was too small and young for them. My 5 year old found both the cooking and playing more fun.

When we were there, there were at least three teenagers "working" in the kitchen, although they were mostly just texting on their cell phones. One was helpful to us and gave a quick explanation, but that was it.

It's a fun concept, but it was just a gross place. I understand that they have occasional weekend meals where you can reserve a place for your child to cook, and that these meals are a bit more involved. I suspect the food is always very simple, mostly uncooked items. But I would still have a lot of concerns about the hygiene.

8  Thank gotkidswilltravel
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The kinderkookKafe is in the most beautiful park of Amsterdam the Vondelpark. So if visiting with kids and willing to give them a treat go to this nicely thought place. Kids can make their own pizzas, cakes and other delicious treats while playing with toys or in the nice playground.

2  Thank Bertha B
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We took our son here for his birthday-thought he would enjoy making his own meal. It was a weekend so, a "help yourself" offering was all that he could do. Luckily, it was a relatively quiet day & not many people in the "restaurant". The teenage girls that were "running" the place didn't even look up when we came in. A fellow guest-a mother that obviously had been there many times-saw that we looked confused on how the whole process worked & helped us out. We retrieved the items to make a pizza, paid & proceeded to find a table & go to work. The preparation items themselves were not particularly clean nor were the ingrediants particularly fresh but no one ended up sick in the end so, obviously it was all good enough. There were no directions on how to exactly use the ingrediants you just purchased but really how hard can pizza making be?! Not difficult but if done incorrectly, the final result can stick to the pan-which is exactly what ours did. The ingrediants themselves were minimal except for the dough which seemed to get EVERYWHERE & then there was no way of cleaning it up properly besides a visit to the sink in the bathroom area on the other side of the restaurant with bar soap, which after our visit, was now coated in pizza dough. When we finally finished the decoration phase, it was a battle to get the attention of the teenagers to get the pizza placed in the oven to cook. 45 mins later it was finally done & was delivered to our also not very clean picnic bench table without plates, napkins or silverware. There was nothing actually wrong with the final product itself however. While waiting for the pizza & because it was a random warmish sunny day in March, my son ventured outside to enjoy the playset. He came back in a few minutes later covered in mud-swing/slide area not placed on sand but rather bark chippings on dirt. Also, the play area was located in an open & raised area above the rest of the bricked patio area-not really safe for the smaller guests who could have easily fallen off & onto the bricks below. Of course, it being his birthday, my son wanted to make a cupcake-again, ingrediants minimal yet mess overwhelming but he was happy & that's what it's all about. At least this didn't need to sit in the oven to cook for nearly another hour. The entire place, inside & out needs a thorough clean & the staff should be trained to be a bit more friendly & helpful. The idea is quite nice for children to try their hands at cooking but the reality is, the lack of hygiene won't do them any good in the end.

8  Thank Dutchflygirl
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is a cute idea for young kids but the hygiene needs a review. The baby changing mat was so disgusting I couldn't even put my own mat on top of it. The toppings for the cookies/pizzas were also not very clean. Tables were dirty you get the picture. The adult food looked good a,thou we never ate there. With a good scrub I believe this place could be good.

2  Thank lsandi