“Amazing!”

Flying Pig Downtown
Reviewed 30 May 2010

The best hostel I ever been. I could not recommend another. This is the best from Amsterdam.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,286)

Reviewed 15 May 2010

I'm a college student who stayed here with a friend for two nights. We're not smokers or partiers, we just came to actually see the city and wanted a cheap place to stay. First, I wish the hostel outright said that they were a party hostel. I knew they had a smoking room and a bar, but it seemed that most hostels in Amsterdam had that. However, the bar was the entire front area, including reception.

We checked in and that was fine. We booked a 20 bed room, and our room was in the basement. The hallway and the room both smelled awful. The room was dark and dingy. Also, the 20 beds were actually 10 queen sized beds that two people had to share. It was not advertised that if you signed up for a 20 bed dorm, they meant that you would be sharing a queen sized bed! Thank god I came with a female friend - I guess they would actually make 2 strangers sleep in the same bed without warning.

I didn't dare take a shower there. The floor was quite dirty and the bathroom smelled horrible. Many of the toilets were consistently clogged, and the stalls were tiny. Signs on the lockers in the rooms said not to leave your valuables in them, even if you had a lock, which I did. So I took my laptop, passport, wallet, and ipod up to the advertised safe behind the front desk. Little did I know that the safe they advertised was just a cabinet left open behind the front desk - no security, especially if someone were to leave the front desk, which they often did. One person behind the front desk, on my last night, even asked if we would like our things put in the "safer safe," since what we had really was valuable. Gee, thanks.

On our last night, a group of 8 or 10 very obnoxious European boys came in very late at night and were very loud. After asking them to be quiet, they started giggling and kept talking, even talking back and saying some very rude things, obviously very drunk. The guests that the Flying Pig attracts are definitely Pigs.

The area is central, but quite touristy. Coffee shops everywhere, right near the gross red light district. At least it was close to the train station so I could leave as soon as possible.

Overall, this was the worst place I have ever stayed in. DO NOT come here if you care about cleanliness, if you want to shower, if you care about the smell, if you want to sleep in a bed by yourself, if you'd like considerate people behind you, if you want your valuables to be safe, and if you want to have a nice stay. Definitely not recommended.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2010

This place was the worst. I arrived a bit early and I had to leave my bag in the unsecured luggage room where anyone could have taken anything. When it was time for me to check in and go up to my room, the previous guest was still in my bed and had no intention of getting up even though it was after check-out. He was clearly very high (I know, it's Amsterdam, what should I expect?) but he refused to leave and I had difficulty communicating with him as he knew no English. I went down to the desk and they would not help me with the situation, so I just had to wait for the guy to leave. Once he did, about 3 hours later, I put decided to take a shower, but the bathroom was filthy. The rooms are carpeted and many of the guests were completely inconsiderate of the concept of shared space and one had even clipped his toenails in the middle of the room, neglecting to clean up the mess he left behind (toenails in the middle of the floor - disgusting). My friend and I decided to leave and move to another hostel in Amsterdam (obviously), but when we told the lady at the desk she seemed offended, so we just made up a story and said we had decided to move on to Belgium. I would avoid this place like the plague (you might get it if you go there). The name is truly apt - this hostel was full of pigs who were travelling - flying pigs! Gross.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Best hostel hands down. Awesome atmosphere, great bar, chill smoke room. The rooms were nice, beds were clean. Bathrooms were well taken care of, and it was in an awesome location. Made the trip to Amsterdam that much better. Don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travelready7
Reviewed 5 April 2010

i went here for my 21st birthday witha group of friends and it was amazing! Incredible location, amazing price, good hearty breakfast, wonderful staff.
The rooms weren't particularly clean to be honest, but it didnt seem to bother us at the time! The bedrooms were warm, and the bed sheets were clean though. The only reason that i got a bad nights sleep was because the man in the bunk below me had an alarm set on his phone for 5am EVERY MORNING, and the alarm tone was "smack my b*** up" by the prodigy, which is NOT the sound you want to be hearing at 5am in the morning!!! It's not a luxury hostel, but definately the most sociable and friendly in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2010

the one word i can use to describe the Flying pig Downtown would be ; fabulous.
After reading some mixed reviews before leaving, we were expecting to find a dirty, grimey hostel, that was or possibly wasn't near the famous red light district and we definitely were not expecting to receive the 'included' breakfast.

We coukdn't have been more pleasantly surprised! for about £17 per night, all we were really expecting was a bed!
on arriving at the hostel, we were greeted by young, friendly dutch staff who were helpful, polite and organised. I travelled in a big group (about 20 people) most of whom were staying in the 32-bed room, the room was delightful, clean and the beds were lovely and comfy.

everyone respected each other and kept quiet in the rooms whilst others were sleeping. the chill out room in the hostel was amazing. A really comfy area just past the reception, that was surrounded with cushions and antique-looking furniture, a place to sample one of the things Amsterdam is most famous for!

As for this hostel being dirty, we didnt have a problem atall, we found it to be clean way beyond our expectations and complained about blockages in the toilet when we first arrived and it was attended to within 10mins!

free internet in the hostel was a treat and the breakfast (included in the £17 we paid) was great for the money! cereal, toast, croissants, eggs etc, we were all wowed!

very long review, but basically you will not be disappointed if you stay here! amazing party atmosphere with great staff and fab prices, and it really is just a 10 minute walk from the Red Light District!
HIGHLY RECOMMEDED

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 21 February 2010

The staff were nice, there were nice travelers also staying there. The Basement Pub is a great place to go, and hang out: a nice chilled out atmosphere, very laid back, and social. Close to Leiseplein, a quick walk to Vondelpark, and the Van Gogh Museum. Recommended if you are looking for a hostel, on a shoe string budget.

Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo