“Staff great, Hotel very run down”
Review of Hotel Kap

Hotel Kap
Ranked #299 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Was not expecting too much but the room we were given left a lot to be desired. Only one power point which the bed light was plugged into with the cable hanging off the wall. Another cable hanging off another wall. No storage for clothing etc.
The staff however try very hard under the circumstances and are very helpfull.
Did find the fact that the owner walked his big dog and his bicycle through the dining room whilse we were eating a little off putting. Breakfast is just okay and is definately done for a minimal cost to management.
Suggest looking for somewhere else if staying in Amsterdam

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luapnonnac

Reviewed 10 June 2012

What a disappointment! I had consulted tripadvisor recommendation comments, but my single room (15, on top floor up a VERY steep, narrow staircase) was utterly depressing! On check-in, I (a 65-year-old female retired university teacher) was asked to pay for all 3 nights in advance (it succeeded in stoppng me moving out!) AND was charged 5% for using a card (even a debit card!). Having struggled up to the room (no offer of help!) and seen the room, I asked if it was the best available and was told that all single rooms were the same (though I should have insisted on seeing another one - the hotel was almost empty for the first 2 nights). I commented that it was more like a hostel room - probably the worst I have ever stayed in. The room was EXTREMELY small (see photos - I had hung up towels, but otherwise as when I arrived), with shower but no WC (although I had checked with expedia and was assured there was one) - this was in the corridor and shared. No toiletries (not even soap at the sink in the room) except shower gel fixed to the shower wall. Virtually NO furniture - only a kitchen cupboard on the wall above a clothes rail, and a formica shelf/kitchen chair (again, see photos). A wall light at eye height half way down the bed was useless for sitting up in bed and reading as it was behind the book! A large crack in the window pane behind the curtain, paint tired and chipped. Breakfast was adequate - juice, coffee/tea, cereal, sliced cheese and sausage, toast, pastries (very dry), though the 4 apples on the first morning (the only fruit) dwindled to zero on the third morning and the sole cereal bar which I took from a basket on the first morning was never replaced. I guess the included breakfast was the hotel's only plus point, together with its location in a quiet street within walking distance of the museums and tram network. But I certainly won't recommend it to anyone I know!!

Room Tip: Not no.15!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank thetwomuskateers
Reviewed 12 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Have stayed at this hotel many times. Service is always good and friendly staff. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank essacramento
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Me and my partner went in Oct 2011 to Amsterdam for a short break away had flights booked but no B&B so when we got to Amsterdam we were recommended this B&B and you cant fault it. The staff were lovely, great breakfast in the morning and there was no noise at night. Its great if you dont mind being outside of the main area of Amsterdam its a tram ride to the centre...on our last day we discovered a lovely cake shop its a must to go to just down the road!! The room that we stayed in had a lovely comfy bed and a separate bathroom...was a walk up and down the stairs but didnt matter to us. We will hopefully be going back to stay in Oct this year for another short break...when i was booking my trip away it was very hard to find a nice B&B for a reasonable price and this ticked all the boxes clean, friendly, own bathroom and good price!! would book here again and close to centre...about 10mins tram ride into centre hope this helps
tegan and rob

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tegz_Rob
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The KAP's location is conveniently located close to Van Gough Museum,etc.
Our room was not fancy but we were in Amsterdam to see the sites.It was clean and bed was nicely made.Yes,like most older hotels, the stairs are wicked-steep and narrow!! BUT the staff voluntered to handle our luggage.
The staff was extremely helpful and friendly;they even offered us a room on the lower floor for the next 3 nights. They also printed out directions to our next hotels in Holland.
This senior citizen can only say good things about The Kap.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rhetta
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My friend and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Amsterdam, preferring to spend our money out and about than on a fancy hotel. For this, Hotel Kap rated pretty well. It's on a relatively quiet street that isn't a terribly distant walk from the centre, and was indeed inexpensive. I would note that other travellers should definitely be aware of the very steep stairs - we totally underestimated how difficult it would be to carry a heavy suitcase up them! The staff were also friendly and let us check out in the evening as we had to leave before the front desk opened.

The room, however, was definitely budget style. The sheets on my bed were ripped and stained, the shower had mold in it, and the hotel only provided a tiny sachet of soap and shampoo. There was just one plug in the entire room, which was already in use, so we had trouble charging our phones and Kindles. This is cheap, but be aware that what you're getting is also cheap.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends