All reviews heineken brewery large suitcases spent nights in this hotel tram stop minute walk quad room late at night by foot hotel staff rooms are clean triple room residential area central amsterdam small hotel city staircase rijksmuseum
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Nice hostel-type place.
I was there with a friend in a two-bed room with shared facilities.
The place was extremely cramped up but very cheap and the location is superb.

There are good small pub next to the hotel to sit and drink a beer before going out on the town

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Micky D
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed in Hotel Kap for one night this weekend. It was an experience to forget....
First of all, it turned out that we had to pay 5% extra if we paid with card. This information was not available in booking.com, the site where I booked through. But the worst was to come....
When we got to the room it turned out that the toilet was shared with the other rooms on our floor. This was also a great surprise to us. We were very very disappointed that we had to learn it there.
Furthermore, the stairs that went up to the room and the room itself was not clean at all. In our room there was a bottle under the bed left over from the previous guests. Moreover, there was a box of pills behind the heater!
It also turned out in the morning that I was stung with god knows what on my shoulder. It was definitely not a mosquito bite!!!
On the positive side, the hotel is very close to Vondel Park and Museumplein, the staff was kind and the bed sheets were thankfully clean.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank dicklaurant
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The Hotel is located between two tram lines and on the edge of the Centre. It is for budget travellers. Everything worked; breakfast (included) was good and plentiful; quite clean; night access is easy; security seemed good. The stairs are narrow and steep and not for hauling up large and/or heavy suitcases. I had single room with skylight but no windows - quite basic but suited my purpose as I took advantage of the many concerts, etc that Amsterdam has on offer. Nearby are two laundries, a post box, a park, and of course, a canal. A couple of guests indicated that they stayed there for a week or so when they were working in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: As the area is quiet, ask for a front room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I agree with a lot of the reviewers, the hotel could have been cleaner. We had a room with 4 beds and a bathroom in the room. As with most hotels in Europe, you do need to make sure an in suite bathroom is listed on the room description before booking, if that is something that is important to you and so I feel that is an unfair review by some people. All hotels in Amsterdam have extremely steep steps, almost like a ladder. When we arrived the owner carried all of our bags up to the 2nd floor for us. Breakfast was a typical euro style. They do prefer cash and request payment at check in. I would stay there again based on the location and price (amsterdam is so expensive!).

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I would definitely NOT reccomend this hotel. It should not even be called a hotel. It's more like a dirty hostel. The rooms are dirty and very small. Toilets are shared and you only get a shower in your room. The shower smells and the soap holder is so corroded and you can tell it has not been cleaned. No air conditiong, the room was extremely hot at night mid August. The stairs are very steep so if you have a big bag it could be very hard to get your luggage to your room. Floors were very dirty and room was not cleaned or made up for the second night of my stay. It was very depressing staying at this hotel. No phones in the room in case of an emergency either. This is definitely the worst place I have EVER stayed in my whole life! I lost my hotel key and had to pay €150 ( $270 NZD) . I'm sure it costs only $10 to cut a new key. They said they had to change the locks to the front door, but the name of the hotel was not even on their keys or keychain. I doubt that this budget place will change all the keys for the whole place. On top of that they refused to give me a receipt for the €115 that I paid as I refused to pay more. Luckily my insurance company accepted the email correspondence where they refused to give me the receipt . Please by all means, stay away, far away. There are better backpackers in Amsterdam than this dump!

• Stayed: August 2012