“Its alright and slightly below average” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Kap
Ranked #301 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Its alright and slightly below average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2008

My choice for hotel was, its fair to say, based on being quite price concious! This hotel fit the bill for a cheap sleep for a couple of nights and being in Amsterdam didnt think that I would take much notice of any shortcomings.

The hotel has a nice location, about 10 mins from town so a good walk in day but not ideal after about 10pm especially if on your own and new to the area.

I had a single room with no en suite facilities, the shower was down the corridor which didnt pose a problem. However the shower room was like a small tiled cupborad and did not smell pleaseant at all - I could not use it! I read some other reviews and was definitely aware that there were some odd smells lingering around the place but when in Amsterdam these things are bearable - for the time I spent in the room I could just about handle it and fortunately had mates staying elsewhere and so I could use their facilities.

The staff who are incredibly rude and unhelpful really made it worse and hence have given me a lasting bad impression of the place. I was sure that should I have commented on the room/smell/shower then they would not have cared or felt obliged to do anything to improve on this.
The hotel suits older travellers and couples and the general feeling coming from the staff toward the younger, fun seeking generation is one of disinterest and disapproving - Its Amsterdam after all - I know they see foolish, intoxicated behaviour on a regular basis but if your offering to accommodate these types of people then surely it would be something to expect. Perhaps they consider themselves to have a more upmarket affair going on - this is not the case - however nice the courtyard may be! (that nobody used once whilst I was ther - so nice but useless)!!

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank HAPPYCAMPER025

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Big Pine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2008

We enjoyed another pleasant stay at the Hotel Kap, which has become like our "home from home" when we are in Amsterdam. It's always nice to greet the front desk personnel, who have come to feel like friends. Thanks for the enjoyable stay, Harry, Bruno, and Hans! The simple but nutritious and ample breakfast buffet is always a great way to start the day. Typically, there's coffee, tea, milk, cold cereal, toast with jam and butter, rusks, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, hard-boiled eggs....

The location is great: The Kap is within walking distance of the Museumplein (Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum) and the Concertgebouw, as well as Vondelpark. Also, nearby Weteringcircuit is a hub for public transport that reaches to every corner of the city. Yet because the Kap is on a tiny side-street, it is usually very quiet.

Hans says that he'll be giving the Kap a complete facelift during 2008.

As always, I only wish I could have stayed longer!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Those demanding Dutch stairs! But they're a feature of almost every Dutch hotel I've ever stayed in.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kmsquared
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2007

The hotel is conveniently located for easy access to this culturally rich city. Be sure to bring the email confirmation with you. The concierge who looked indifferent and rude was charging us 18 euros per day more than the confirmed rate. As soon as I showed the email confirmation, he didn't say a word. I asked for a receipt but told me that the email was more than enough. You have to get out of your bedroom to go to the bathroom...not a good idea!

J and J of New Jersey

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank MarvLiz

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2007

Very nice, small hotel located near most of the musuems, parks, and areas of interest. The room was ample sized, abeit a bit spartan in decor. Depending on the person at the front desk, the staff was either indifferent or friendly, but still pleasant. The breakfast was nicer than what we had expected. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2007

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at Hotel Kap. We had a double room (with shower and toilet) that looked over the courtyard in back. While not fancy, our room was very clean and we did not detect any type of strange odors mentioned in some older reviews. The beds were very comfortable and our room was scrupulously cleaned each day with fresh towels provided.

The breakfast was good, and while it wasn't warm enough to dine outside, I did wander out there to pet the neighbor's cat, Freek, who was watching us eat through the window, and it is a pretty courtyard.

The neighborhood is very quiet and residential, with kids out playing in the street. We did lots of walking and felt totally safe, even late at night. Beautiful Reguliersgracht is right around the corner, and there are lots of good restaurants nearby on Utrechtsestraat. We also discovered a couple of pubs we really liked in de Pijp, a few minutes walk south of the hotel near the Heineken Brewery (Cafe Berkhout and Gollem II).

The staff was professional and competent, and while not overly friendly, they were polite and we weren't expecting the hotel staff to be our new best friends anyway. They did a great job of being hotel staff, though :-)!
I felt like our rate was totally fair, and I'd stay there again without hesitation! Go Hotel Kap!! Keep up the good work!

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — no phone in the room
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank AliceDee
Sicily
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2007

very nice hotel, no far from the city attraction ( 15min walking). Room with small bathroom but with big windows over the bed from where my boyfriend and I can see the trees. Very steep stairs.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2006

This is my second trip to Amsterdam, and I'm now thoroughly convinced that all hotel rooms in this city are tiny and very overpriced. First the good part: Hotel Kap is in a nice residential street that is quiet and near the tram stop. The facade of the hotel is classic Amsterdam architechture and it is good to look at. Breakfast is decent, with an assortment of cold-cuts, cheese, eggs, bread, and cereals. Breakfast is included with the room and its served 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM. Now for the criticisms: we booked a double room and it was very small, and we paid a respectable price for it: over US$100 per night. My wife and I could hardly fit in there! There were two single beds whereas we would have preferred a single big bed, but it seems this is typical in many Dutch hotels. The staff at the front desk was not terribly friendly when we asked them some simple questions about museums and so on. I would stay at this hotel again but only if they were to lower the price to reflect the actual value.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple