“Charming”
Review of Hotel Kap

Hotel Kap
Ranked #307 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 9 January 2006

A splendid little hotel. It's well-located in a completely quiet street and, once you've negotiated the traditionally steep Dutch stairs, you'll find large and well-appointed double rooms (the single room I saw looked less inviting). The coolest about the place is the breakfast room, which is much classier than you'd expect in a hotel of this kind, and boasts a great selection of food. The owner was a nice chap, too. If you're looking for an inexpensive hotel and nothing terribly fancy, I'd go for Hotel Kap.

Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kap

Reviewed 3 January 2006

Hotel Kap is your basic, budget hotel. Yes, there are a lot of narrow, windy stairs. If you can't handle it, go to a chain hotel. It was clean and inexpensive. The manager was nice. Breakfast is nothing wonderful but it's something to get into your stomach before you start your day.
The only reason I wouldn't stay there again is that I would prefer something more central like Dam square. Of course that costs more money.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank bethyng
Reviewed 2 November 2005

I was very happy with my stay here. As a single woman traveling alone, I wanted a safe, yet cheap, place to stay. Hotel Kap was clean, quiet, has a super-cute garden area (okay the stairs are a little steep;), great breakfast and all for a pretty decent price. The location is within walking distance to all the museums also. I would definitely stay there again.

4  Thank CathyStl
atlanta, ga, usa
Reviewed 1 November 2005

Stayed at Hotel Kap in September 2005. Arrived with horrrrible case of jet lag...to early to check in. But check in I was allowed to do. My room wasn't ready so the wonderful gentleman at the desk upgraded me from a two-person room to a four-person at no aditional charge. I must have looked as bad as I felt! He ended up losing money on this b/c the hotel was full most of the week my daughter and I were there. Great breakfast. Can't-be-beat location. We walked to most everything but the hotel is easily accessible to tram system; on Connexxion Shuttle route.
Steep steps got steeper as the week went on (no lift) but I always look for Old World, not shiny Western fare.
I will definitely stay there again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 8 October 2005

Where do I start...
Hotel is located in a nice location and that is the only nice thing in my review.
Hotel staff is borderline rude, impolite and have no concept of service. No lift and the stairs are unbelievebly narrow and the steps are not even 9" wide and imagine carrying bags and suitcases 3 floors. One day we forgot few essentials in the room and we decided not to go back to room to fetch them.
Room was small, no surprise by most european hotel standards, but the rooms were prehistoric, especially the carpet and the toilet. Speaking of small, when you sat on the toilet your face was in the sink, really, not exaggerating. Adding to this it was stinking, when we reported this to the front desk, his solution was to put some drain cleaner and that was the end of it.
Breakfast - if you can call that, we skipped after first day because it was completely inedible.
Please do yourself a favor and look for a decent bench in a park or a train station instead.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 September 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Kap for 5 days. The location was ideal for us: close to everything one would want to see and do in Amsterdam, but away from the rambunctious tourist trap areas (Central Station, Red Light, Leidseplein). With Kap as our home base, we were easily able to explore this phenomenal city by foot, bicycle, and tram. It's on a quiet street and the backyard garden was a nice touch. Hotel staff spoke English well and (with the exception of one cranky guy) were very amiable. The breakfast buffet was great; it helped to start the day off on a full stomach, especially since restaurants in the area are expensive. (If you want to save some money, there's a supermarket nearby. We bought fruit and stuff to make pb&j sandwiches for lunch). We splurged on a room with a private bathroom. On the one hand, it wasn't really necessary because the shared facilities were close to the rooms and shared by only a few guests. On the other hand, I was disappointed to wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of someone throwing up in the shared toilet. Perhaps that was a one-time-only misfortune, but many people go to Amsterdam to drink and party, so I doubt my experience is all that rare. Also, note that our double bed was literally a double bed (two smaller beds pushed together) -- to sleep close to each other, one of us usually ended up in the crack. Quarters were a little tight, walls a tad thin, room rates a bit high, but that's the way it is in Europe. In a nutshell, Kap was clean, convenient, and comfortable. Overall, a decent value and lovely place to stay.

4  Thank ilana620
Reviewed 19 September 2005

Overall it was OK. The room was really big, the only problem was the bathroom. It smelled. I think it's just old and wasn't renovated for some time, so you can't clean it up to 100% any more.

Breakfast wasn't very interesting.

The nice thing about the hotel (but maybe it's happening in all Amsterdam hotels) the radiators were a bit warm, especially during the night. Very helpful, even though it was June.

It's on a nice, quiet street, very close to the museums.

• Stayed: June 2005