“Nice bit of class and elegance”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Arena

Hotel Arena
Ranked #99 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice bit of class and elegance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel would find hard to fault anywhere. We stayed mid week so had no prob with the disco next door but im told it can be noisey. Regardless we thought it was an excellent hotel.
Recendations would be that the office staff take consideration of the clinets ever changing and different challanges when considerating how they can help. We had a date change request which was tuned down due to the fact that we booked on HOTELS.com. Looks like these booking are considered 2nd class ! Not good!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
las Vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. When I arrived in my room it was dusty, and the mini fridge had someones old food in it. I complained and they upgraded me to a larger room, which was nice. However- my room was never properly cleaned. I stayed at Hotel Arena for 5 days and the bed sheets were never changed- I complained about this twice- which finally resulted in the changing of sheets. The floor was never vacuumed. The countertops were never wiped down, and over all the room was just dirty. Both my husband and I found bug bites when we woke up one morning. The hotel does not have a bell man, a concierge, or really anything you would expect from a four star hotel. There was always a line at the check in desk. Save your money and book a three star or less.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Julia H
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Great Hotel
We arrived at hotel arena too find that booking.com had cancelled our room 2 months prior and not informed us. Following a flight from the uk we were not amused as this was a just a 2 night break, we spoke with booking.com who were extremely unhelpful. However saskia the hotel manager said she would try her best too book us into a room, we were upgraded and paid the same price as quoted on booking.com! What could of been a nightmare was sorted within 20 minutes an we were very appreciative. Our room was lovely, clean and had everything you needed with a gorgeous bath an lots of nice toiletries. Our room was cleaned daily and all staff where polite and happy. We walked about 10 minutes to get the train to Amsterdam central we got a 48 hour pass which made it a lot cheaper than taxis an there was always trains there within 5 minutes at the station. These ran until just before 1am. We liked the fact we weren't directly in the centre an the hotel and surroundings had a nice relaxed feel about it. Overall would definitely visit again hotel and city. Thank you again saskia!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockholm
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Was staying at this hotel with some 20 of my colleagues. We were visiting Amsterdam due to a conference over a weekend. In overall I found the staff at this hotel incredibly rude. I'm gluten intolerant and those mornings we stayed at the hotel until they opened the breakfast at 8am, I ended up not getting any food at all. One of my colleagues has diabetes and also gluten intolerant, and a busy work without a breakfast wasn't good for him. Also, I heard the cook saying to the waitress that there is gluten free bread downstairs and the waitress answered, "ok, I tell the client it doesn't exist.". She didn't want to go and get it. Also, when I got home, I saw that the hotel charged me 100e for something, and not knowing what it was, I called them. Again, a rude voice told it was a guarantee for the mini bar, an that the personnel had told me this when I got there. Well, they didn't. And come on, 100€? I didn't look inside the minibar, but they must have had crazy exclusive peanuts there... The rude voice continued educating me that I would get my money back in 3 weeks. Well, what can I do, obviously these people don't see the value of happy customers. I find it a pity.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Enniplaces
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Like myself you probably could not believe all the bad reviews for this hotel until you stay there and realize they are all true. The sheets were changed only once in 5 days after excess pleading. The floors which I admit to making a mess on was never vacuum. Bathroom counter had hair left on it. Cups that were obviously used were never replaced. The hotel has no umbrellas, no bellman, and always a line at the front desk. I could go on but I almost don't believe my own review that a place like this could be in business

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Fangusz4
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

This was a strange hotel. The rooms are very bright yet the corridors are dark and creepy. The rooms are very modern but they have strange features. Like our one had a glass wall separating the bathroom from the rest of the room, so someone sitting on the bed could see everything happening in the bathroom. Also the bathroom door did not have a lock. And there was a distinct lack of spoons. Despite all of this, our stay was pleasant and relaxing. The service was always friendly and the staff always professional.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pankaj T
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Booked online (eBookers). Booking process quite swift. Arrived at hotel at 12 noon, but were not ready for us, so had to store luggage and go about town. Had a quick look around - stylish reception area, and quite uniquely furnished; best is restaurant and bar lounge areas.. Stayed for 3 nights. Room quite OK, but terrible bed - got 2 twin beds that were brought together (and kept slipping apart), rather than 1 proper double bed. Very uncomfortable arrangement! Stayed 3 nights, and all quite OK.
Checking-out process was a bit of a nightmare. Arrived at reception desk at 10:30am, only to find a long queue and only 1 receptionist. Finally got the plot, and a second person joined in to help out. Was shouted at for "being very late to check out", and I appropriately retorted that I had been waiting on the queue for over 30mins! Was very annoyed, and demanded an apology, which was given. Was also caught unawares by the "town tax", whilst checking out! Beware, as you are never told this on the website, or while checking in!!!
Best experience was in the restaurant / bar area. "Welcome drink" was great. The bar/restaurant staff are hardworking and very friendly. Service was prompt. Background music was great.
Guests toilets quite smelly though!
Not sure I would go back there.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden side are best.