“Hip, attractive, but lacking service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Arena

Hotel Arena
Ranked #101 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago
“Hip, attractive, but lacking service”
Reviewed 17 October 2009

There are plusses and minuses for this hotel. The cleaning and maid service is problematic. They always left some mess. I had broken glass in one corner of the room all 5 days. They never provided new coffee, which was a real problem since I had jetlag, and was waking up early each morning. The first time I noticed, I called to reception, but they said they couldn't bring any up at that hour. The rooms are small, but nicely decorates. On the plus side, the hotel is decorated in a very hip, contemporary fashion. Breakfasts were very good (don't eat dinner there). The staff are generally very accomodating. The hotel is a bit outside most of what you want to see in Amsterdam - could be a plus or minus.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Stayed here with my girlfriend for 3 nights at the end of August. Had a most enjoyable stay and as with all the other reviews here cannot fault the hotel itself. When checking in the receptionist took my card for pre-authorisation and I was told it would not be charged. Standard for any Hotel and obviously I had no issue with this. We had paid for the room in advance so on checking out we just had to pay for 2 breakfasts. However there were other charges on our bill (a bicycle rental) that were not ours. They apologised for the mistake and we went on our merry way. A few weeks later I was checking my credit card statement and I noticed a charge for €150.00 from Hotel Arena. I immediately emailed a copy of this to the hotel and requested the payment be refunded. I had no response. I rang and spoke to a staff member who told me it was standard pratice to take a deposit in Amsterdam Hotels. I told her I had been clearly advised my card would not be charged. She did not apologise but said she would now release my payment. As of today I still have not received my €150 back. It has been 23 days since we checked out. Please be wary if you are checking in as I feel that its unacceptable to take €150 off somebody for a month when a room has been paid for in advance. I wrote to the manager and have received no response. I am bitterly disappointed with my experience of Hotel Arena's customer service.

8 Thank menapian98
HotelArenaManagement, Revenue Manager at Hotel Arena, responded to this review, 25 September 2009
Deposits are not just common in Amsterdam, is it custom around the world. We have responded (here on this site) before to deposit issues and misunderstandings.
We will never charge credit cards falsely!

Upon Check-out, authorisations are automatically released. However, you paid with another card than the one used to make the deposit and then the release takes a bit longer

In your case we have been in contact and investigative. Our Front Office manager has been in prompt email exchange (9th and 20th of September) to explain the status.

Your credit card company are holding on to these deposits for their own reasons.
We take your concern seriously but we also know there is not much we can do since - at the end of the day - it is down to the credit card companies.We trust they have now settled this with you.

Thanks for staying with us,

RL
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 September 2009

this hotel is one of the best in Amsterdam, even if not centrally located. the reviews saying that it takes 5 minutes to get to the center are not realistic if you define what the center of amsterdam really is, plan for at least 15 minutes and then some (there are a couple of trams that go to the center, with change at leidseplein or frederiksplein). a walk to the dam will take you about 25 minutes, but dont let it discourage you.
arena has great meeting facilities that also include an old chapel that becomes a night club on weekends.
apart from the fantastic building, the branding of the hotel is exceptional, expect everything to be called to-'something': tostay, todrink, todine, tomeet, tonight

• Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
HotelArenaManagement, Revenue Manager at Hotel Arena, responded to this review, 3 October 2009
Thank you very much for your review. You are right on getting to the city centre. Although the hotel is just about 20 meters from the ‘Start of the centre’, the heart of Amsterdam is by foot around 20,25 minutes; by tram 5 stops away.

Your review also said, you stayed with us almost two years ago. Please, check out the renovated hotel and hopefully we will soon be able to welcome you again.

Till then,

RL,
Roma, Lazio
Reviewed 12 September 2009

Service was great and we thought we had an excellent deal on our 3 night stay. Staff was very helpful at all times, rooms where very well decorated and the bed was excellent. We stayed in a double store room and had a wonderful view of the canal. A baby crib was available for us and all in wall we enjoyed very much our stay at the Arena.
We'd definitely stay there other times, even though it is not on the very center of the city (it's a 15" walk to the waterloo square, i.e.). However, it does mean that it is a very quiet and residential like neighbourhood, which really worked for us. Access was easy with trams.
We did not have breakfast or any other meal at their restaurant/bar, so I can't say anything but that it looked nice!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Netherlands
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We had a great stay in a beautifull room 265 (ask for it!). The room was big with a good bed (one of the first good beds in a hotel and we've seen a few) and a tub in the room. Large bathroom with shower was also available. The room was at the end of a hall so very quiet, half a circle with 3 windows in the roof which give you sun when you wake up and sun when you're getting ready for dinner, nice!

Room wasn't that clean (I stepped in glass with my bare feet) and the staff at the desk was to busy to notice the wedding dress of my wife (we've also made a note in the reservation that we were just married), missed a chance there to make the stay unforgettable.

merseyside
Reviewed 3 September 2009

get a price for taxi before hand they will rip you off charged 20euro going -10 return hotel got taxi back for us.
expect two pay double for everything 5or 6 euro a pint 18/20 euro for a steak but it was good.
get the pass for the trams hop on an off all day and use on the late bus when trams have finished carry a map at all times free from hotel was always getting asked for drirections easy once your bearings.

Rugby
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We booked the hotel through the 'Secret' list on lastminute.com and paid £240 (two sharing) for four nights.

We had a deluxe double over two floors and loved it! Lovely decor and finish.

Location is ok...5 minute tram to the 'squares' and 10 minutes to the central station.

If I ever go back to the Dam again, I would love to stay here again.