“Amsterdam hostels cosmos”

Ranked #192 of 226 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Amsterdam hostels cosmos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

Really enjoyed this hostel. It was cozy and good location and a short walk from Central station.Coffee shop right at the front door and Simba the cat was cute.The guys work hard to make the place pleasant.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank Afwerki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

A bit of a mess to be honest. The place is being renovated but not to a good standard from what I can see. The room was hot and cramped and not clean. Also the bathroom was grim. The staff were helpful though. Breakfast was poor and I didn't feel like eating really as the room was so dirty, and I'm not really that fussy usually. But I suppose that's what you get for picking the cheapest bed in Amdam.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

come on girls, just because you are used to perfect rooms at home you're not able to give an positive review. I've just been to Amsterdam with some friends of mine and it was not soo bad. Ok, the room is maybe small (what makes it even more snugly).

And ok, they have some technical problems due to renovations, but girls: IT'S A BAGPACKER-HOTEL, ok?! I've bee to a lot of rooms where the conditions were far more worse than here (f.e. Bali where we had rats and bedbugs) - the bedsheet and the coverlet were clean and the staff was nice and sympathetic, we always had breakfast like around 10am (although we were assigned to the period 7.30-8.30) - i think it's perfect for a short stay in Amsterdam with his (male) friends.

Wilde beasts rule!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank UnconsciousMan
Campbell River, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

This is by far the worst place I've ever had the nightmare of staying in.
The operator blackmailed me for extra money for a room the rest of my roomates paid 11 euros a night for -- he demanded I pay 30 euros a night more the second day I was there! He told me this the next morning after returning to my room. I feel as though he was trying to take advantage of the fact I was a single female traveller on my own. When I told him I did not have the money he threatened to call the police, at which point I checked out immediately. I found an AWESOME room at St. Christophers @ the Winston Hostel for the same price as this guy wanted me to pony up for the remaining nights. The Hotel Janson is disgusting and dirty... rude staff... freaky people staying there. Located terribly!!
DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

this is by far the worst hostel we have ever stayed at. for starting we were not given the option of paying by card- cash only! the room was so small the door couln't open the whole way as it hit the bunks. there were 3 sets of bunk beds in a tiny room with a dirty sink- leaving us no room for our bags and possessions. no lockers/security was offered although we were given a key for the doorm room. there was only one shower and two toilets between the entire hostel. when we asked to get towels from reception the staff member on duty (who spoke very little english or dutch) had no idea where to find them so told us they had run out- leaving us with no option but to go to bed unshowered. the next morning the (same) staff member had miraculously found the towels yet STILL made us pay the 6euros for the two towels! in addition to all of this the bathroom was unclean and upon arrival there was a tampon wrapper in the sink!! 'breakfast' was included, which comprised of cold coffee stale cereal and bread and cheese that had been left in the open. 'toast' was an option however the hostel doesnt have a toaster and guests were expected to 'toast' their bread in a broken sandwich toaster. depending on which floor you slept on affected when you were allowed to eat breakfast- luckily our eating tome was between 730-830.... too bad if you werent allowed to eat breakfast until 10am! the staff spoke little english and weren't very helpful/didnt know where to guide us from the maps they provided. to top our experience off my partner had a bloodstain on his pillow case, the floor and stair carpets were very well worn, were very dirty.

Room Tip: do NOT stay here!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
seoul
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

I made a huge mistake when booked 2 nights at this hostel, which really made my trip in Amsterdam less enjoyable! Actually, as i booked with that price, i did accept the low quality room, small bed, bad location... all of those stuffs are ok for me, i don't care. I just need a place to sleep.
But, i was extremely surprised when i got in to the dorm, too dirty, seemed like they haven't cleaned the dorm for centuries, and the most terrible thing was the toilet (ensuited) has no lock, it means anyone can enter the toilet (and bathroom as well) when u are using! The door of toilet is also broken as well.
The "funniest" stuffs was when i asked the reception guy for direction to Museumplein by tram or bus and other places, he did not know how to give me instruction even i showed him the map with the place's location that i wanna go.
And guess what! No wi-fi at all, you have to bring your laptop to the tiny lobby to use the internet!!! What a great joke!
My recommendation is: avoid this hell hostel!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank phamleminh
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

Never stay in this hotel! Very Dirty Very Small and far away from the city center. The room was so small full of 4 beds. Bed linen was not clean with somebody else's hair, don't know if they wash it or not. There was also someone's pubic hair in the WC! Breakfast was also poor, I didn't want to eat it at all. It is not a hotel it's barely a hostel! Terrible experience! couldn't sleep at all!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends