“Nice location”

Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam
Ranked #200 of 237 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The hostel is located about 5-10 mins walk from central station. It's a small hostel. The rooms weren't fantastic. The only trouble is that the last person out of the room had to lock the door.. this seemed like a security hazard to me as the rooms were never properly locked. I had my own locker to keep my valuables in however. The hostel had it's own resident cat, Simba I think? :) Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 October 2013

The staircase is too steep and narrow so better be careful if you walk upstairs totally wasted. I paid 40% extra than what it actually deserved for the value and the environment is not to fun or party like, hence not sociable. My views are based on the comparison with other hostels where I ended up paying much less for better comforts.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Kushnov27
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Nice location but the room is so small and is only one toilet for everyone. Also there is a big escalator to go up to the rooms, and is very hard to get up with luggages. There is a cat which stays around all the time and that is not very clean.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank LAraujo22
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This hostel has an amazing location which made my stay in Amsterdam one of the best experiences due to the factthat I was in the center of the city. I did have to deal with the following while staying at the cosmos:

1. A very cramped room with barely any room to move around. Luckily I had a bottom bunk which allowed me to store my stuff underneath my bed. If you're on the top bunk, good luck.

2. Absolutely no visitors. I tried bringing over two friends to my room while staying at Cosmos. Both times they had to wait for me in their "lobby" which is nothing but two couches awkwardly placed together right in front of the reception.

3. Ridiculous prices. I had to pay 20 euros a night during the weekdays and 40 euros a night during the weekend for sub par hostel service. You really are only paying for location, and the owners know this which allows them to overcharge for sub par service.

4. The worst part about staying in the Cosmos was the inhospitable staff. I had lost my wallet before arriving at the Cosmos, which made getting any extra cash difficult for me at the time. I still managed to shell out 80 euros for my three nights at the Cosmos and I had 11 euros left until my replacement debit card arrived the next day. I explained my situation to the staff and I asked if i could get a locker for free until I had the money to pay the 13 euros. so I needed to wait a day in order for my replacement visa to come in. They were okay with it at first, but each and every time I passed the reception they kept asking me for the money despite already explaining my situation to them. Their constant nagging became so much that I finally gave them the last 11 euros I had on me thinking this would make them leave me alone. Although I would be left with no money for food for the night, I was willing to starve just to stop their constant nagging. Unfortunately, I was still being pestered about the two euros I owed them every time I saw them despite being completely broke. The moment my replacement Visa came in, I was forced to walk to the nearest ATM in the middle of the night on a bad leg just to get them the 2 euros I owed them. Ive never been treated so badly by complete strangers my entire life.

So if you are thinking about staying here, please remember my experience. The hostel is located in a great area, but unfortunately the greedy owners know that and will disrespect you and give you terrible living conditions because of it.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank aecovarru
Hostelcosmos A, General Manager at Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Hi ALAN,

Thank you for the effort and review. For a key for the locker there is a deposit needed. Without a deposit it makes no sense. We were nice enough to wait for you and give a key without a deposit. We don't think many hostels do that. We ask you in a normal way to pay the amount at a certain time. You agreed and later act very childish by not greeting and walking fast to the room and avoiding staff. Also arguing about different things and bothering staff while helping other guests.

You did not like the hostel, but come back after check out to use our facilities and room you don't like? That is very strange. And want to enter the room without permission and get upset when we stop you, try to help and ask what you need.

We are sorry, but this time it is not us to blame but yourself. We did our best and other guests enjoyed while you only were looking to start problems.

We hope that you understand that we like to help our guests and welcome them in the best way. But please note that we love our work but also have a business to run and you should know that is not personal when we ask guests to pay for their stay and purchased items. Actually most guests understand this and have no problem, because you choose to buy something.

We wish you good luck with future travelling.

Kind regards,

Cosmos staff

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed at this hostel for three nights and had a great time. Other than being in a great location, the receptionists were all easy going, friendly and great to talk to (Adam, Habib, Muhammed, and Yessen).

I would like to give a special thanks especially to Yessen, since he went above and beyond for me during my stay. He helped me place an order for delivery the moment I told him I was looking for a good place to eat, and even stayed an extra half hour after the end of his shift to help listen to my personal problems.

These small things go a long way for people, especially for a tired traveller from another country. I will definately be staying at this hostel again next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Thank you Hostel Cosmos!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Lucas E
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

This hostel is very well located. Just a few minutes walk from the red light district, the dam square, the central station and, if you mind walking too much, it's close to a tram stop. There are very few outlets in the room and they are not so close to the bed, for me this was an issue because my cellphone batterie needs to be charged every night an couldn't do it. Bathrooms and toilets are clean and ok, I had no trouble waiting other people to use it, even though they only have one per floor.
In general, it's a good option but it's not the best hostel I've stayed.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Lucas M
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My first time staying in a hostel and, well it was what I expected really.Costing £25.42 a night per person, it was a bit pricey for what you get but this was mostly due to our pretty late booking.

I stayed in a 10 bed dorm with 5 friends, we had no trouble with any of the other guests and we had a few chats.

There is a no smoking and no alcohol policy. And the last person to leave the dorm has to hand the key in at reception (so the key is shared between all 10 guests).

The room had a number of safes that were 1 euro per day with a 10 euro deposit on the key, they were pretty big and we managed with just one between us.

The hostel was in a very good central location with a coffee shop right opposite it (although said coffee shop looked intimidating for us first timers so we never went in that one).

There were 2 showers and 2 toilets (1 of each on each floor), these were clean and kept in good condition.

On the last night, the house cat had caught a mouse and took it into the hallway, we immediately closed the room door just in case it tried to come in. As we were all getting to sleep, the cat continued to meow outside the door for a good 30 minutes. This was the only negative point to a really good stay, but on the other hand I would rather the cat be catching mice than having them run wild through the hostel and our things!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Hostelcosmos A, General Manager at Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and being honest! You stayed the same period as the previous guest that had a bad experience. We are happy that you understand the situation better. It was so hot that all doors were open and Simba (our lovely cat) goes hunting and brings back a ''gift''.

Thank you for appreciating the cleaning;) We really do our best to keep the place tidy.

Kind regards,