“Excellent B&B”
Review of Maes B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maes B & B
Ranked #37 of 343 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We loved our stay here! Ken and Vlad and staff are so great. The house is in a fabulous location for walking, dining, and enjoying Amsterdam. Our room was just four stairs up from the kitchen and was very quiet. You have access to the kitchen and a nice sitting room. Our room was small but very comfortable with a great king bed and because of the location you can open the windows and just hear the birds. The newly finished bathroom is very cool with the shower and tub in the attic. The breakfasts were the best of all of our B&B stays this trip.
We loved Amsterdam and this fabulous house.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2011

We stayed a week at Maas B & B in April/May and absolutely loved it! Ken and Vlad were incredible hosts, offering great service and wonderful tips about the area and things to do. We loved the charm of the Canal House they have renovated... it is comfortable, spotlessly clean and has a terrific security system! We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast that Milo prepared every morning, especially all of the fresh fruit, and the fresh flowers that were always in the common areas! The location can't be beat! We could walk to everything we wanted to do in the heart of Amsterdam, and it was so close to the Centraal Station for heading out to Keukenhof, the Hague and the airport. The neighborhood has many restaurants, and we had a wonderful time exploring, especially on Queen's Day--a very wild, fun experience!! We really hope we will be able to come back and stay at Maas again!! Thanks Ken and Vlad!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We recently stayed at one of Maes B & B's appartments right on the canal. What an amazing find. My partner and I have been going to Amsterdam for years and only found this amazing place this year. The appartment is huge and faces right onto the canal with large window that open. There is a full sized kitchen, laundry, cable, wireless internet, tbu, you name it. The location is perfect as it is nestled right in the Nine Streets, which, in my opinion is the best part of Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Ask for the appartment on the second floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2011

My brother and I stayed on the third floor of this B&B for two nights. The room has windows at either end for great air flow. It is a challenge, but fun, to go up the winding staircase to that floor. We slept well and found the street to be quiet at night. The breakfasts were memorable and we really enjoyed talking with our host and the other guests. I stayed 11 nights in Amsterdam and Maes B&B was clearly the best value for the money. I should add that there are 3 restaurants on the same side of the street that offer good food at reasonable prices. The paella was particularly noteworthy at the Spanish restaurant.

Room Tip: Take a lower room if you have trouble with stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2011

This is truly a hidden gem in Amsterdam! Converted from a 1700's Canal House, this B&B is both quaint and modern in style. It's by far the best place I've stayed in Amsterdam. All of the pictures of the units are exactly what I experienced- very beautifully decorated with updated, modern design. The owners were very helpful and made sure our stay was the best it could be. And I must mention the breakfast was AMAZING! The table was set every morning with cereals, yogurt, ham, cheeses, bread, eggs, juice, coffee and there was even a sweet guy who cooked poffertjes (mini pancakes with honey and powdered sugar) and served you as soon as you sat down.

It's perfect for larger groups as well as couples. I went with 6 family members and we rented 3 rooms, it was like we had our own apartment in the city. Each of the rooms have complete privacy, and there is a living room, two kitchens and a dining room where you can gather for meals, relaxing, hanging out, etc.

It's located in the charming Jordaan area, it's within walking distance of "must sees"- the Anne Frank House, Dam Square, ect. Not to mention the wonderful terrace restaurants and boutique shops that are also nearby. You really get a good feel for Amsterdammer life at Maes.

Room Tip: Request room with private bath if traveling alone
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Note: We stayed in August 2009, but TripAdvisor won't let us do a review from that date.
We have been to Amsterdam before and done the whole "Leidseplein"/party thing, and this is not it. Maes is in a quiet part of town, but it's on a street with cute restaurants,etc. You are only a few minutes from shopping and public transportation. In fact, we walked from Maes most of the time.It was also a close walk to the train station. Our room was awesome. The bathroom was on a separate floor from the room with a great shower. We looked out over a cute courtyard. It was quiet and cozy. We first met our hosts as they were sitting on the front step sharing a glass of wine, and Ken and Vlad gave us great recommendations on great restaurants and places to go in Amsterdam. Breakfast was great - fresh meats and cheeses, pastries, etc. - it was a true continental breakfast of a high caliber. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2011

My company held a conference at the Sofitel Legend/Grand. The rates at the hotel were well over 200 euro a night. It is a beautiful hotel, but I just could not see paying that kind of money, which brought me to tripadvisor to research the possibilities.
I solicited Mae's for B&B information and was informed that they were sold out BUT they had the Apt #1 available for less than 150 Euro a night. Yes! A fully furnnshed apartment of my very own. Of course I grabbed it... and then had all sorts of corporate worries related to staying (a single woman) in a privately owned apartment on a business trip to a city I had never visited.
So let me get all the single woman on business nonsense out of the way:
1. Is the area safe? YES!!! It is very safe in this nice little residential area. I never felt ill at ease, and I came and went at all hours.
2. Is the apartment compliant to all safety regulations? Yes.
3. This apartment is on the 1st floor... can people break in easily? NO! The 1st floor is actually the 2nd floor (from a US based perspective). I left the windows open most of my visit.
4. Is the door secure? Yes! There is a door at the street level and there is not anywhere for people to hide. You have clear visibility of the whole area as you approach the door... besides, it is a safe, nice neighborhood. I suspect most of the residents in the area are financially well off as it is a desirable location. Once you enter the building, you go up a short flight of stairs to your door, which has a lock, of course.

The apartment itself is really nice. The decor is like an Ikea model room, but the actual furnishings are much higher quality than Ikea :)
There is a full living room and full kitchen with everything you need to cook... including stovetop, oven/micro, refrig/freezer, dishwasher. There is also a washer/dryer combo in a closet. There is bamboo flooring throughout the apartment.
The bathroom is very large, with a nice large spa tub and separate shower... and heated towel rack. I thought maybe there was ambient heat in the floor but I am not 100% certain. The bathroom is nice. The water heater is tankless, I think... and I never ran out of hot water during my luxurious baths!!!
The bedroom had a nice comfy bed. I am so picky about bedding and can assure you that this bed is just that perfect mix of soft yet firm. I slept great every night.
There was virtually no street noise and the only sound I heard was the typical movement in the unit above, which was limited to soft walking in the evening. Not anything that bothered me at all. I always travel with earplugs, but did not use them on this trip.
The wifi worked fine (though I rarely worked!!!) and the TV had expanded cable, which was nice once I figured it out.
There were plenty of grocery stores around, so I did not have to eat out much, which I prefer.
The location is actually perfect for someone like me.
Less than 5 minute walk to the 'red light' district, it was a world away.
I could get everywhere quickly and did not feel nickled and dimed to death like I do at hotels.
I dont particularly like housekeeping at hotels and liked that this was self serviced.
It's big enough that I really didn't make a mess everyday.
You are responsible for leaving it pretty much the way you found it, so be respectful.
I wish I could always travel like this! I am on the road all the time but staying in an apartment was a big leap of faith for me... a decision that was perfect for AMS!
Thanks to everyone for all the reviews. They really help when selecting a B&B or Inn!!
Thanks Ken and Vlad for your patience with me as I traveled in a brand new way!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business