“Convenience, comfort and helpful owners”
Review of Maes B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maes B & B
Ranked #33 of 336 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Convenience, comfort and helpful owners”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

My wife and I stayed at Mae's during our recent honeymoon and loved it. Our room was in the apartment on singelgracht in the basement. Vlad and Ken were very helpful in getting us on our way to the local attractions when we first arrived. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was fantastic! We loved that we were around the corner from everything. The area felt safe at night and the apartment was secure so we could leave valuables there.

We would recommend this to anyone staying in Amsterdam!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

... and, we had stayed at some pretty nice places!

My boyfriend-for-life (aka husband) and I spent 5 weeks in Europe, camping and Priceline™-ing. We stayed at a nice hotel via Priceline for our first couple of days in Amsterdam but had made reservations at Maes B&B for our last few days in AMS. My mother was joining us for our last leg of our trip to Denmark, so we rented the "Yellow" suite, I believe. It was the most beautiful room ever - actually it was the whole floor. Giant living room with a nice couch to sleep on, the best bathroom ever, and a bedroom. It was a bit of splurge for us but split up between the three of us it was not bad at all.

The owners are very nice. They helped my mom with her luggage up the steep stairs. And, the breakfasts were to die for. Amazing food, served by a very nice guy!

But back to the room... I loved the furniture, rugs, and art on the walls. Some of the prints inspired my mom to look for old illustrations of Amsterdam to buy as a souvenir. I also really appreciated that they had old guestbooks from YEARS ago. Many, many people have enjoyed their stay. If I make it back to Amsterdam, I would definitely stay here again.

One more thing, the neighborhood is awesome. Amsterdam is very walkable (and, get-lost-able) but this neighborhood was in a very convenient location.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We stayed 3 nights in the newly opend Maes appartments right at te single gracht.
We got ugraded as the double we had booked was taken.
The Maes is really an excellent place. the Appartment was absolutely gorgeous, spacious and with a really nice view at the Gracht.
The Breakfast is also ver, very good and the people are extremely friendly.
Next time we are in Amsterdam we will again stay at the MAES

Vienna
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We recently visited this delightful B&B, the owners were helpful, friendly and professional. The accomodation was immaculate and well located. We would recommend this B&B without any doubt to anyone wishing to stay in Amsterdam, and wish to thank the owners for their hospitality.

Maureen and Derek Mawson

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Many thanks to Vlad & Ken for being charming hosts during our stay in Amsterdam. We had booked a ground floor apartment in Herenstraat. Both hosts were there to meet us on arrival and we were showed around the apartment. The accomodation was first class and had a lot of charm. Also deceptively spacious inside. An upside for us was being smokers there was an outside terrace in the apartment for use. The bed was very comfortable and gave us a great nights sleep. The location was also ideal in a beautiful area of the Jordan, away from the noise of the busier areas yet within easy reach of the attractions of Amsterdam. We have been in Amsterdam 4 times now (both in hotels and other partments) and this was by far one of the best we have stayed in.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I am a frequent traveler for both business and leisure, so have a good range of places to compare this to. I can say, without reservation, that it is one of the best places that I've stayed in quite some time, and an absolutely outstanding value for money.

Making the booking was very smooth, I was allocated a room in their B&B by on Singel, which is in a prime location for exploring the city. Checking in was very easy, Vlad took care of showing me around, and was extremely friendly. This set the tone for the whole trip, you really feel that you are staying with friends (who happen to be very professional B&B operators).

The building is very modern on the inside, and is clean, sleek and very elegant. The guest's kitchen/lounge is also lovely (I would kill for a kitchen like that!), although I spent very little time in it because I was too busy exploring the city. My room was on the lower level, and was extremely nice. The bathroom (with two-person bath and separate shower with two shower heads) was absolutely huge, and the units were super-modern. There are many hotels that could stand to learn a thing or two from these furnishings. There is also free high-speed wireless, an amenity still sorely lacking from many hotels.

The breakfast was available between 9 and 12, and there was always one of the staff there to make sure your coffee cup stayed full (and they also shared some great stories). Breakfast itself was a range of fresh fruit, breads, cakes, ham, cheese, hot miniature pancakes, cereals, and an endless supply of the critical coffee and tea! (The coffee is made in a french press, and is much better than the cheap hotel brews).

I was in town for a wedding, and many of the other guests, staying at hotels around the city, were paying much more for a much less comfortable room and poor breakfast (cold toast with jam).

I've passed this B&B on to my cousins who live in Amsterdam, as a prime recommendation for a place that guests should stay. If I ever have to visit for work, I'll be sure to schedule my meetings for after 10 AM, so that I can stay here again and enjoy Vlad and Ken's hospitality, especially given their extremely reasonable price.

It would also make a great little romantic getaway, given the comfort of the rooms.

Book early, and enjoy your stay!

Also, there is a little bakery two streets over (open until 11) which does some excellent chocolate-dipped battenburg cakes. And really, who doesn't love those after an evening out on the town?

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
cardiff
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We had a wonderful holiday and loved this comfortable, elegant B+B. We were looked after really well; the room was quiet and comfortable and the breakfast was fantastic. My partner is now on a strict diet after eating far too many pancakes.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple