“Somewhere Special”
Review of Sunhead of 1617

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunhead of 1617
Ranked #40 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My boyfriend booked me a surprise weekend in Amsterdam for my 30th birthday at the end of November. We stayed in the Jasmine room which was perfect, with big windows and a view of the beautiful Herengracht canal. The building is lovely inside and out, as well as being perfectly located, within walking distance to all the sights. Although the street is central, it isn't noisy outside and is surprisingly peaceful, though the church bells can be heard in the morning.

The hosts were very friendly and helpful with directions and pointing out good places to go. Carlos does do a lovely breakfast that will set you up for a day of exploring stunning Amsterdam.

I have no complaints about Sunhead of 1617 other than I wish we got to stay longer.
If you want somewhere special to stay, book now!

Room Tip: Jasmine room has lovely big windows which open out to a view of the canal. The room also smells rea...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lorraine W
There are newer reviews for Sunhead of 1617

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My girlfriend and I have just got back from a lovelystay at Sunhead! The location was brilliant, as were the hosts who were always happy to help! Carlos' breakfast always gave us a good reason to get out of bed, and our lovely room gave us a good reason to go back to bed too!!

I really can't think of anything to fault with the hotel!?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ben c
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My family and I stayed here in December, taking over nearly all the rooms. It was such a charming alternative to the busy hotels we stayed at in other cities.

The location was great, on a nice quiet canal, but just a couple blocks off the main shopping streets that stem off from the Centraal Train Station. There are many restaurants and shops in the area. It is just a block away (less than a five minute walk) to the Anne Frank House. The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museums are a little bit of a walk, but the walk can be done along canals and really turns into an experience of its own.

The rooms are very well decorated- vintage quaint, with a modern update. The bathrooms are extremely contemporary and clean. The top rooms have more sitting area space to hang out, whereas the lower level rooms have little desks, for alone/quiet time.

The best part of the B&B was the breakfast! Owner Carlos used to work at a restaurant and really seems to take pride in the breakfasts he serves. And fill you up, so you are ready to walk all around Amsterdam for the rest of the day. It differed a bit day to day, but they always started with smoothies and toast with an assortment of jam, butter, cheese, etc. The main event generally included eggs mixed with veggies and bacon. One morning, we even had open-faced caprese paninis. DELISH. Of note, there were extremely flexible accommodating gluten-free (bought a loaf of gf bread) and vegetarian diets (left the bacon out of a serving of eggs)! On top of that, the breakfast nook is awesome, with wall paintings done by the ever-creative Carlos.

I have no negative comments, unless stairs are difficult for you (the stairway up to the rooms is quite narrow).

Room Tip: The stairway is just about the most narrow and winding staircase I ever encountered in a home, so be...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We have been lucky enough to spend two nights at Sunhead 1617! What a delightful canal house, it is nearly 400 years old and is full of character. It has been restored beautifully and it is in the most perfect location. The owners were so kind and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Carlos made us fabulous breakfasts, cooked while you wait. He is passionate about food and everything was presented beautifully. We sampled bruschetta, scrambled egg, fresh fruits with yoghurt and honey, pancakes with salted caramel....delicious! Our room was the tulip room and it was wonderful with lovely views of the canal and very comfortable beds. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and can't recommend it highly enough! Thank you for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I spent a week here in early Nov 2013 (four days on my own) and loved every moment of it. Great location close to Central Station and the shopping centre of Amsterdam. I felt very safe walking around the area and being able to stroll into the heart of Amsterdam. The interior of the b&b is clean and the rooms are a good size. As a newcomer to solo traveling and to Amsterdam I found the service to be warm and friendly. Carlos provided me with a full breakfast each morning that was a great way to start the day. And he is a great chef and an angel Would I stay here again? Yes, without a doubt. Thank again i will be back soom

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I was staying with my friend from Chicago for a weekend at Sunhead of 1617 and we return home with a big smile.

Cozy room with herengracht canal view is a perfect place to stay. Plus a delicious variety of home made breakfast from a charming owner Carlos, the big " C-: "
Thank you for your hospitality.

Room Tip: choose Sunhead of 1617 for a nice stay in Amsterdam!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We have just returned from 2 nights in Amsterdam. The charming owners of Sunhead of 1617 couldn't have been more helpful. The Tulip Room on the 3rd floor was charming, with views of the canal .Yes, it's up steep stairs. It's Amsterdam!
The beds were so comfortable. The breakfasts were delicious and different from the norm with fresh coffee, raspberry and ginger smoothies, home made pancakes with caramel salt served with fresh berries and yoghurt, as well as scrambled eggs with truffles and a variety if mushrooms!
Thank you for a lovely stay, made all the better by yourselves.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends