Sunhead of 1617
US$283
US$208
Room Mate Hotels
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$176
ibis
  • Restaurant
NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$208
US$269
US$219
  • Restaurant
MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$144
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
US$443
US$333
  • Room Service
NH Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$239
US$215
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$131
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2010

As a 56 year-old breast cancer survivor, I avoid potentially stressful situations. These stairs are a tad too steep for me, I thought, as I climbed up to the Red Room the first afternoon. Four-and-a-half days and four nights later, I found myself saying, while going down: "I'm going to miss these stairs, even."

For Sunhead of 1617 was the closest to being home while away from home.

The breakfasts were great, no, incomparable. Our host Carlos would notice if you didn't eat all the yogurt that served as base for the fresh fruits, and next day you'd have your fresh fruits according to your preference—without having to say so. Home-made jam, warm bread, soft-boiled eggs like you'll never get in any other part of the world, and I know whereof I speak as we travel regularly. I could go on all day praising how the first meal of the day as served at Sunhead makes one feel all will be well.

The hosts give you a more than fair idea of Amsterdam, where to go and how to go there, what to do, what'll be open until what time. The place is clean, the beds made up just about after you tumble out of them, towels are changed everyday, oh, Sunhead, Sunhead. Until we meet again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank lebasidr
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I stayed here for four nights just last week. I'm home now, but I still can't forget the yummy breakfasts: aged Gouda cheese, warm rolls, smoked salmon, prosciutto ham, freshly made capuccino, moist and hot scrambled eggs, perfectly cooked soft-boiled eggs, the host Carlos's great homemade jams flavored with "strawberries and rose hips," "figs in balsamic vinegar and truffle oil," etc. The dining room is cozy and warm, decorated with trompe l'oeils of Delft blue tiles and plates handpainted on the wall by Carlos.

As in most old Dutch houses, there's no elevator. But Carlos's co-host Roelf-Jan was a great help in taking my luggage up to the second floor apartment, which was roomy enough for me: one bedroom (with a sink) in the back, a toilet and bath room in the middle, and a living room in the front facing the scenic Herengracht, where an occasional boat would glide by against a background of old Dutch houses across the canal, and framed in the foreground by lush foliage from trees lining the cobblestoned street. The living and bed rooms each had two tall windows, providing enough daylight for each of the rooms.

The apartment was spotless and furnished with comfortably upholstered furniture, Asian rugs and pillows, old wooden floors, brick walls from which hung blue Dutch plates. The kitchen/dining area had a small fridge, a stove, a sink and a small dishwasher, and complete dinner service for four. While I would have my coffee outside, the hosts ensured the kitchen was provided with four free capsules of fresh espresso every day for the Nespresso machine in the kitchen area. There were also a TV set and Wi-fi service,.
A cleaning maid came in every day to ensure everything in the apartment was cleaned, and the laundry done.

The apartment is perfectly located for me: in walking time, it's about 5 minutes away from the Dam Square (i.e., the center of town), 3-5 minutes from the Anne Frank House, 8-10 minutes from the Central [train] Station, less than 5 minutes from the nearest tram, and about 3 minutes from the nearest water taxi. You certainly feel connected here.

The hosts also came up with as complete a local guide book as you would need, detailing all the important information and addresses of everything from shops, herring stands, restaurants, transport modes (boats, taxis, buses, trains), laundry centers, cultural sights and museums, etc. It even included a tip about beating the long entry line at the Anne Frank House.

These touches reflected the care with which the hosts took care of my stay. They also treated me with other guests on an extensive (probably 40-minute) canal tour on their small private boat. They're great conversationalists, animating the breakfast groups with lively discussions (along with the great food). NIghts were restful and quiet, even with the windows open.

In the four nights I stayed, I saw guests come and go, and not a single one left the place with a glum face. I certainly felt at home and missed it as soon as I checked out. Sunhead at 1617 is THE place to live in Amsterdam. I certainly would check in there whenever I'm in town and there's space.

Great place. Great close to a European vacation.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank CSR77
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We spent three days in Amsterdam and Sunhead is an ideal location - close to the station, the Anne Frank House and not far from the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. Moreover, Carlos is a very gracious host and made our stay more personal which is what a good B&B should do. He had good information about nearby restaurants, where to rent bikes and served a complete and delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We stayed here for 4 days/3 nights in July. The apartment was perfect. The location could not be better. The canal district and Jordaan are the best parts of Amsterdam. You can walk to everything easily and you are right on the Singel canal to watch the boats go by. The apartment has a refrig for beer and leftovers! Plates, glasses, etc. if you want to bring food home. The bed and bathroom are excellent. Slept like a baby! The bedroom is like a cave-perfect after a night out. Surprised at how quite it was while still being so close to all. Will stay here again for sure!!!! This place is a best bet.

Everyone raves about the hosts. We had almost zero interaction with them. We just stopped by to pick up and drop off the key. Can't speak to the hospitality or breakfast-but we were renting an apartment and loved the feeling of being on our own and not worrying about making breakfast hours or disturbing others, etc.

Tips for places close to this great apartment-there are markets close by for beer, wine, etc. Gollem and Hoppe are just 2 blocks away. Must stops for a beer or two! Brix Food N Drink was good for a glass of wine. We also rented our own boat from Canal Motorboats and toured the canals at our own pace with our own food and drink-best part of our trip! The Indian food at Koh I Noor was excellent!!! Most awesome butter chicken ever!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cubuff1453
Reviewed 4 August 2010

me and my 18 years old daughter spent 3 nights at the sunhead b&b .close to all sites,but still quiet at night. carlos makes a delicious breakfast and roelf jan is a wonderful host. the house is beutiful,and there is a warm feeling of home.very much recomanded

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family