“Super”
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

Heart of Amsterdam
Ranked #119 of 253 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My partner and I had a private room with en suite, room number 1. Only steps we encountered were the ones entering the hostel. It was everything we needed for a 3 day stay. Clean and fully functioning with TV and shower. Little noisy at night with other hostellers but that's what you expect when on holiday in Amsterdam! Reception staff very helpful with regard to local attractions and taxis after getting ripped off at the airport on the way to the hostel we decided to trust them organising us a taxi on the way back, which they did for half the price (with a very professional gentleman taxi driver). We had a locker I'm the room for our more valuable goods which we had our own key for, making it feel a little more secure. As previous reviews mention it is a hostel and it is in red light, but that's what we wanted and loved every second we spent there.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie S

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This establishment makes use of hotel touts which look for travelers from amongst other places, Centraal Station. Once they have offered their assistance, they take you to various hotels, obviously for a fee. This hotel offered me a room, at quite a hefty price. After paying, I was taken downstairs to a basement where I had to share the basement with about 10 other people. When I complained, I was told that the other rooms upstairs are more expensive. I was also told that I should guard my personal belongings as theft is quite common. Needless to say, I did not stay the night. This place will not see me again. It is also not a hotel, but a hostel at best. To be fair though, they do serve a good breakfast. The selection below does not allow all dates. I travelled there in 2002.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank f_labuschagne
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The location of the hostel is amazing, completely in the middle of everything and only a few minutes walk from Dam square. I went with a group of 6 friends, all 18 and we got the six person private room with our own bathroom. The rooms were clean, fresh sheets and new towels each day. The breakfast in the morning was free and was just enough, with a selection of bread and condiments. Our bedroom was right at the front of the hotel and never had an issue with noise and the staff were very helpful. The value for money is excellent and I highly recommend it to any tourist, especially groups of friends.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank _elliedavidson1
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I would recommend this place for its location and price. Right in the centre you are in the middle of the red light district and only a short walk from Damrak and Centrum.

I found this hostel to be a tad heavy on the street noise, the 8-bed dorm I stayed in was at the bottom with doors leading onto the main street. There was an international football match in town so maybe this was an exception.

The staff were friendly, the guests seemed fine and despite some minor construction work in progress, the hostel was generally clean and in good condition.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kev B
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Location is fantastic although it is the middle of the red light district we never had any trouble at all. Had a room of 8 for us twenty something group of lads. Rooms where good, clean and fresh towels each day. The fact the room has it's on bathroom is Also fantastic and is really nice and modern with a good shower! Tv in the room was also a good touch.
All in all it was great! Only issue being maybe the stairs are quite steep but just be careful :)

Will be back soon!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Great location in the city center, right on the Red District. Nice and helpful stuff, the rooms are clean and the interior is really nice , the lockers are big enough, and the bathroom was clean also.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Heart of Amsterdam isn't that bad compared to other hostels; as soon as you walk out the down literally across the road are working girls in the Red Light District so if you're uncomfortable with that stuff I'd steer clear... Steps are steep and no elevator so dragging your stuff up flights can be a drag, keypad to get in is a good touch though (no having to carry swipe cards around)... 1 Bathroom per 8 people so if you have an unhygienic roommate look out! Not the best, not the worst ~ overall not bad though :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends