“Cheap but not worth the Bedbugs”
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

Heart of Amsterdam
Ranked #122 of 242 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 September 2006

It's cheap. It's definitely in the Heart of Amsterdam. However, the bedbugs will feast on you at night and you will wake up to your own blood in your bed from squished bedbugs. Not to mention the irritating itching and scratching for days afterwards. We went in a huge group. Four of us got bitten by bedbugs and we all had to spend money afterwards seeing the doctors and getting medicines for the bites when we got back to the U.S. ( cheap hotel + doctor visits = expensive in the end). So I wouldn't stay here. It really isn't worth the discomfort. (Imagine being on a sightseeing tour but not really paying attention because you keep scratching and/or looking for a pharmacy) Keep your bags away from the beds as you don't want to take the bugs home with you. By the way, the breakfast is a joke. It's just random stuff that can hardly be called a meal.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank xstatix

Reviewed 22 September 2006

I stayed here with a group of friends, my boyfriend and I had booked a double room (not cheap) 125 euros per night. We were both bitten by the bugs in the bed. How this place stays open I don't understand. The staff could not or would not do anything to help.
Its a rip off ,beware ,its not even cheap

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank JuJuJuJuJuju
Kazakhstan
Reviewed 21 June 2006

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in May. I did not stay in a dormitory but in a private room. The room itself was clean and satisfactory with a view over-looking the canal below. In addition, I had my own private bathroom facilities and a working television. I have stayed in many budget hotels in Amsterdam and these luxuries are seldom awarded to the weary-eyed traveller.

The staff was friendly and accomodating. The only real downside was the noise level because of the location of the hotel. I did not really have a problem with this becasue I am a deep-sleeper, however, I could understand how someone might. When leaving the hotel the staff asks that you leave your key at the desk. This is becasue of all the theieves and scammers who loiter around the red-light district. You need to practice saying, "No, thank you," to the many drug dealers if you plan to frequent this area.

All in all, the stay was pleasant and worth the money paid. I would highly advise appropriating a private room if you have the extra coin.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 5 June 2006

Staff were cheery, but that's probably because they're raking in money for doing absolutely nothing. Bed sheets had blood on them and weren't changed. They don't actually clean the rooms, just spray lemon stuff around. Steer well clear of this place unless skin infections appeal to you. Left covered in bites.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
spain
Reviewed 20 April 2006

stayed at this excuse for a hotel a few months ago and would never EVER venture there again. i was visiting the city with another female friend and both of us have a sense of adventure but this was extreme!!! we shared a7 bedded dorm which we appreciated would in no way be private, but i didn´t expect the utter filthiness of the place. i passed down the small dirty staircase passing the bathroom (this term is used in the most loosest sense!!) to our room. the room was strewn with dogends and spliff butts, and stank to high heaven. that night it rained and i kid you not, the room was waterlogged!! i had to wade through the water to go to bed! i told the staff but they really didn´t give a toss or make any effort to mop it up(though, in fairness, there was so much water a mop would´ve been useless.). so, i get to my bed and theres a body in there, in my sleeping bag!!! poor fella assumed this was his be because all the others had bodies already occupying them or were bare, no sheets at all. i felt awful but piked him out anyway. i stayed here for2 nights, never washed or showered and slept in my clothes for fear of contamination. the communal basement dorms here should be shut down!!!!!!!!! it truely is a disgrace, and no matter how small your budget, don´t stay here. save more money or don´t bothere going at all until a later date, staying here would ruin it for you. thats a promise.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Germany
Reviewed 30 March 2006

For the price, 100euros or less, this is a great hotel. It is in the red light district, which is not as bad as poeple say it is. I have never seen a taxi that would not go there. I have been to A Dam several times, and this is one of the cleaner, friendlier hotels I have stayed in. If you didn't know, there are prostitues and drugs in A Dam, unless you just stay in your hotel, you will see it. This hotel is like being on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, close to the action. If you get robbed, it is probably your own fault, even if you don't admit it. Great for people that are younger, and open-minded.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bradford
Reviewed 13 March 2006

On our arrival at 'Camp Delta' our travelling party was thrilled to see the extent of the road renovations being carried out directly in front of our 'Hotel'. Once we had overcome the Kryton factor style sandy assault course and in the apparent safety of our digs we were immediately asked to pay, the reasons for this would become blatantly obvious to us in time. The booking was a ten man room and, as there only turned out to be 8 travelling, we were under the impression that we would get even more room for the ridiculously priced tariff of 700euros. This price was for two nights starting on Friday 10th March. This was advertised through various websites as a discounted rate; 130euros P.P.P.N with 65% discount. Now I am no expert on the rules and regulations of advertising, however I do know that I felt mugged paying the discounted rate. I only wish that i had seen this website a couple of days before travelling.
Due to our early arrival and check in not yet started we were shown to the storage cupboard to place our baggage in. Were were assured that this would be locked and secured. On our arrival back, over 90 minutes when check in was due to start, the room was still not ready and a quick look at the storage cupboard showed that it was insecure. Our patience was beginning to wear a little thin and this was compounded by the apparent lack of interest by staff at the front counter whose concern seemed to have disappeared since we had handed our money over.
Finally after a further 20 minutes we were shown our room. The manager tried to put 7 of us in one room and the remaining 1 in another, after a few exchanges he agreed to have another bed put in the main room. On pointing out to the manager that there was an unlocked door which joined another dorm/room to ours his explaination was that it was required to be kept open as the fire doors into the street were located in our room therefore access was needed. However he did reassure us by saying, "don't worry, the occupants of the other room know not to come in unless there is a fire". Wonderful, that's ok then!
Inside the room there were no storage facilities at all. We were offered storage cupboards outside the room which we originally agreed to take but then retracted it after we inspected them and realised that the doors looked like they had been kicked off on numerous occassions. The staff appeared to realise that maybe the security of it's customer/belongings were not top of their list and agreed that they would look after our passports in their safe.
The showering and wash facilties were an absolute disgrace with entry gained at the top of a very steep staircase, through the open air then into a concrete shell. This toilet/shower block was constantly dirty with used cigarette ends, dirt on the floor and even sick in the sink. One of our party members brought this to the attention of the management, however it was still in the same state over 4 hours later. It's is easy to understand how the staff at this dive have trouble keeping it clean when i witnessed one cleaner using the firehose from the reception area to get the shower block gleaming!
As well as the pathetic excuse for a breakfast and trying to get to sleep with a 300watt fire escape light directly above my head, my one abiding memory from this absolute hell hole of this so called 'hostel' nevermind 'hotel was waking up during the early hours of sunday morning with the unmistakeable noise of a male urinating in the street on the other side of the fire doors. I looked up from my drunken slumber to see that YES it was infact the icing on the cake for my stay and had breached the gap underneath our fire doors and was winging it's way rapidly down the two remaining stairs and towards my bed.
Take Me Home.
A thoughrougly unenjoyable stay.
Don't book this place.
Remember this was 8 lads on a 30th birthday and we thought it was crap!!!

• Stayed: March 2006