“The Smoker-Friendly Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hemp Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hemp Hotel
Ranked #264 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Samara, Russia
“The Smoker-Friendly Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

After reading the other reviews on here, I decided to try the Hemp Hotel anyways. It cost about 60 Euros a night for a double bed with a shower and shared toilet. There was television with BBC and Comedy Central in English, and all of the staff speak predominantly English, which was nice. There is a decent breakfast every morning included free of charge. The reason I liked the Hemp Hotel is because if you are a smoker you can just be yourself and don't need to fear any sideways glances for having a doobie hanging from your mouth. All of the staff are herb-savvy, and can direct you to the nearest coffeeshops, or the ones with the best hash, and so on. The location is pretty good because you've got about 15 coffeeshops within a ten minute walk. Oh, and right next door to the hotel is an Albert Heijn, which is the perfect little grociery store to buy whatever food you want. Perfect for the herb seekers.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
12 Thank Don020

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

ok location, well priced considering what other hotels charge in amsterdam. themed rooms: afghan, morrocan and 2 other themes, bar underneath with well priced beer. someone is always there to help with directions to sights and stores around the area, reccommended if you want to save some money on accomodation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mitcellsous
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

The owner of this HELL hole should be ashamed. This place is gross and dirty. The rooms are disgusting, very untidy and dusty. This place needs a make over. The stair way is ridiculous. the place in all is nasty nasty nasty. The owner should be embarrassed to even have this place as an hotel. Hemp hotel never again the staff are ghetto and ridiculous they look cracked out. And the lights a so dim to hide the dust and dirt of this place. i would not allow my worst enemy to live here. They need to do a hotel inspection AND CLOSE THIS HELL HOLE DOWN

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BDA01

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

This was a recommend by a friend who had stayed there twice before. I stayed with my husband and 2 friends and after reading previous comments was a bit scared about what we might find! Check-in was at the bar/reception (rock-salt lamps, lit ganja pipes, off-it guy chattering non-stop with the most beautiful beaming smile on his boat-race), our rooms were 1 and 3, both with views of the park. The rooms were fab! Decorated in morrocan/afghan themes with beds on the floor, blue/yellow walls, lanterns, rugs and throws. Absolutely full of character. The area around the hotel is lovely, wine shop, nice little bars and coffeeshops, lamp and furniture shops, book/clothes shops and about a 30 minute walk along the canals and streets with plenty to see to Dam Square or a 10 minute tram journey. Eccentric owner Mila (Pip:- 'Are you alright now?', Mila:- 'Yes and by that I mean noooooooo'). The stairs are steep but they are all like that in Amsterdam. The room had a few cobwebs but who cares with a view of the washing-up-liquid-foaming-fountain in the park. The breakfast was non-existent but the coffee we served was delicious. The lad in the next room was a complete wreck-head but still managed to say hello every time we clapped eyes on him. It was fabulous and I loved it. Tram number 4 from Centraal Station and get off at Fredricksplein, look for the fountain in the park, the hotel faces it. Have fun!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

This Hotel has everything you need as long as you want what this is offering. It has cheap prices, good location, VERY nice staff and an amazing and cheap bar where smoking is allowed. This is perfect for bohemian people who won't pay much attention to cleanliness and standard. I can recommend this hostel very very much for anyone who enjoys cannabis, and even non-smokers can enjoy themselves in a relaxed atmosphere.

Only negative part I can say is that it wasn't very clean or a good standard anywhere outside the bar/main lounge. But then again I don't care about that so this was perfect for me and my friends. Will stay here every year in Amsterdam from now on!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steinthegreat
Penetanguishene, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

The hotel itself is terrible, but the service of the staff is great. I would have to agree with a former commenter who said they need to relocate to a better spot and it'd probably be a better stay.

The vibe of the hotel is very bohemian, and the little complimentary packet you get in your room is cool - the candies, the hemp soap and the Amsterdam map. BUT - the rooms are a real dive. Not worth the money you pay to stay there in terms of comfort. The bathroom is a disgrace and the toilet doesn't work half the time. It's noisy from all the activity going on outside. I woke up in the morning with bites all over me. I don't know if it's because of the mosquitoes, or if there were bed bugs, but I had tiny red spots everywhere. The floor in the bar sags a bit and strikes me as somewhat of a hazard. However, they've got the right idea. Their theme suits Amsterdam, and especially any hippie types who might be drifting through. It's way different from any other place I've stayed, so it was kind of nice to experience something unlike any other hotel. They just need a better spot, or to completely renovate the building.

Now with that being said, it wouldn't be fair not to compliment the staff. They were extraordinary at making you feel welcome and insisting you come in to the bar after hours and socialize... which I did, since I was traveling alone. And I had a real good time with them. One of them took my rental bike back for me in the morning since I was unable to get it back in time before I left, and another staff member offered to drive me to the airport the day I left. I was really impressed with that. That made up for the crappy accommodations, especially since I didn't spend that much time inside.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
East Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

We have stayed in the hotel previously so knew the area and and hotel, however the room we stayed in last time was on the first floor over looking the park and was ok, not this time we was on the top floor the carribean suit and it was pretty poor, we dont go to stay in the room so its not the end of the world and you dont pay alot to stay there so i shouldnt grumble but I think ile pay abit more next time and get a better hotel.

We had a problem when we got to Amsterdam as the car broke down and we missed our flight, we had to pay to get the next one at 5pm , so betime we got to the hotel it was 7ish, we dint think it was going to be an issue as its open till 4am, anyway when we got there after a 10 hour wait it was all locked up and no reply when we called the number on the door, so we had to wait again for a further half hour or so and a passer by who uses the hemp bar stopped and we got talking , he rang the owners and gave us a lift to a coffee shop near by, the Bushdoctor. It had plenty to choose form and would recommend it.
We got in and crashed out, the muffin and coffee breakfast is good, and the staff are also helpful, it needs more funding to relocate to a better site and I hope that they get the help they need soon as it could be great.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple