“A nightmare”
Review of Hotel Museumzicht

Hotel Museumzicht
Ranked #225 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Some of the so positive reviews make me feel that I wasn´t at the same hotel. The woman es extremely rude and rare. The bathroom smell was awful. It was dirty and wet.
Breakfast, which was served by the rude woman, was basic and she was so rude that made us feel unconfortable.
My room was basic, too, worn and dirty carpet, dirty windows and curtains.
Remember that it´s a 130 euro hotel. The staircase is frightening if you must climb with medium luggage. It´s almost impossible go upstairs carring it.
The location is good, but there are better hotels nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank doris312741

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The only positive thing is the location.
The room was very filthy, even inside the wardrobe!
I was asked to pay in advance, otherwise I wouldn´t have stayed in there.
The woman is VERY weird and rude. She´s got a dog and more than once, she took the dog and then served breakfast.
The stairs are terrible dangerous. The are steep and with little steps.
There are lots of better hotels for so high price.
Unfortunately I didn´t take any picture in order to show what I say.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marcos c
Reviewed 7 January 2012

hi just back from wonderfull amsterdam but cant say the same for the hotel museumzicht it was a nice quite area and had the museum ryek just across the road, but the lady on recption was the most rude lady i ever met we knew the time of breakfast but decided to have our breakfast elsewere the first day which was no problem, on the morning of our leave which im glad to say we only stayed 2 nights, she knocked on our door more than once and we were nearly forced to have breakfast i however did not wish to have breakfast from someone so rude have to say would not be going to this hotel again due to the fact of this persons arrogance, its a pity really her manners could cost her a lot of profit

Room Tip: do read reviews and try to choose wisely
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carolineday35
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Traditional & reasonably priced for this expensive city.Short walking distance to all the major tourist sights. Good breakfast of juice, coffee or tea fresh breads, egg, cheese and ham, served from 8.30am in cosy room overlooking Rijksmuseum and street where bus to airport & trams to station stop.Staff friendly and very helpful.I happily left my luggage on departure day at reception. Single room in attic small but clean and warm. Shared shower & lavatory on each floor kept very clean.Would definately stay here again. Not suitable for the obese, disabled traveller as yes the stairs are steep-think boat- afterall this is Amsterdam. If you want the Hilton then no doubt there is one.

Room Tip: no 11 single on top floor, small loo.Next floor down has larger loo & shower.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Just got back from Amsterdam last week , and based on the many good to great reviews chose this Hotel.

The only thing good about the place is the Location, very close to Museums and the main tramp line Nos 5 which covers most of the key Amsterdam location is right outside the hotel.

Its walking distance to shopping and multiple eating options of liedsplaine.

Besides this I have nothing great to say about the place.

The stairs are a climb for anyone and every age however fit you maybe, they are narrow and seems like a ladder has been put instead of the steps.

If you plan to drink enough and come back, it better to climb it on all fours :)

The breakfast which everyone raves about is purely basic and limited and extras are available depending on the mood of the server that day.

We stayed for 3 nights and the 1st morning breakfast we had an elderly lady serving the breakfast who very rudely refuse to give us a 2nd round of paid orange also, stating she was too tied up with other guest...at any given time that room can only fit 4 tables, so i dnt understand her excuse...maybe she was having a bad morning, but that is no excuse to ruin the brakfast of paying guest...post that we never ate breakfast there even though it was included in our room rate...kinda demeaning for us.

The rooms are very basic and ok on cleanliness. Certain rooms facing the tramp line can be noisy due the cars and tramp line starting early morning.

If you are planning only crash and spen most of the day out then this may suit you...but then a little more research can get you far more for the price of 125 euro per night.

Rest of the staff were fine, but for us the old hag totally spoilt it.

We made our peace with the small rooms and tiny bathrooms. But what really got our goat was the not so friendly staff.
One elderly woman in particular, who refused to give us a glass of orange juice while we were seated for breakfast.

it was

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ninster
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Yep, those stairs are no joke. But you're in an old building in an old European city, so also somewhat cool I thought. Staff was very friendly, and I thought the breakfast was actually pretty good, with plenty to eat. In fact, I arrived at 9am, just hoping to stash my bags. Instead, the room was ready and they offered me breakfast/coffee. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was tiny, the common bathroom was equally tiny, even for Europe. Still, it was sufficient for me. The room was also old. The common room/breakfast area was a nice place to hang out. I couldn't get the internet to work, though I was able to sniff a free connection while sitting in the common room. Everything seemed clean enough. Location was pretty good, but I probably would have preferred to be a bit closer in. Still, it was only a 10 minute walk to anywhere that you'd want to go. Huge supermarket about a block away that I wish I had found out about sooner.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank nola_mike
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I did read the reviews and like others were prepared for the steep stairs. 61 from pavement to our room like climbing a ladder. The room was the smallest I have even seen. Two single beds pushed together with about 18ins to walk round. The bedding was clean but the duvet was stained and dirty. The curtains were filthy with ripped lining and what looked like blood stains on them. The radiator didn't work and was falling off the wall so probably just as well. There is a funny smell in the hotel which made it hard to sleep until I put perfume under my nose!!!!
Had a room at the back but the trams did not bother me.
Breakfast is bread and spread and jams. One very thin slice of cheese and a slice of wafer thing ham and an egg, Anything extra is charged at 50cents.
Staff were very nice.The resident dog bites...my husband found that out. Also we both had bites on us in the morning. Fleas? or Mosquitoes? I don't know.
My son came with us and he had a double room in the roof. He slept ok he said although a bit claustrophobic.
Altogether paid 300 Euros for two room for two nights. The hotel and facilities are not worh this at all. Although the location is quite good and it is easy to get to with bus 197 from the airport. Very expensive hotel for what you get. I would recommend people look around. It is not cheap or cheerful.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family