“Hotel staff and accomodations were excellent - the breakfast was a special treat - the dog served as humorous entertainm”
Review of Hotel Museumzicht

Hotel Museumzicht
Ranked #229 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
florida
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I was able to book a room when I got off the train at the information center. The hotel is in the museum district with a trolley stop across the street. Last day there I found a note asking to call reception. She asked if I could change rooms as some folks needed the room with a rollout bed. I found myself in the best room in the house. wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Madrid
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We loved this little hotel. It did have a lot of steep stairs, but no problem! The breakfast was very cute and simple. The room was small, the beds were nice and clean. The bathroom was small, but always clean. The location was great. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 7 September 2009

When recently in Amsterdam, I considered staying at the Museumzicht for the second half of my trip, based largely on all the glowing reviews I had read online.

I emailed the hotel in advance for a quote, and when I got there I dropped by to take a look at the place. I like to see a place in person before committing to it for a lengthy period: in this case, I am glad I dropped by before reserving.

The hotel is a lovely old building right next to the Rijksmuseum. While initially favorably impressed from the exterior, my actual experience with the hotel was not pleasant.

I rang the bell and walked up a couple of flights of (steep) stairs to the reception area, where I was greeted by a hotel staff member. I explained that I was looking for a room for the next week, and asked to see one before committing. Her reception wasn't exactly welcoming, but it wasn't completely offputting, either... that changed soon after I climbed two more flights of stairs to look at a small single room, though.

She handed me the key and sent me off to look at the room on my own. I spent a couple of seconds taking it in. I sat on the edge of the bed, trying to imagine whether or not I could subsist in a room the size of a broomcloset with the depressing aura of a flophouse for the next week.

Almost immediatley, the staff person -- apparently concerned that I had spent too long in the room -- came bustling in, exuding an air of ill-concealed suspicion. She was obviously put out that I had sat on the corner of the bed and, after making an exaggerated show of straightening a small wrinkle in the bed covering, she ushered me out.

What had started as a luke-warm reception turned downright chilly. In an attempt to lighten the mood, I tried to chat about the weather, the view... anything to establish a positive connection. In return, she accused me of taking advantage of her good will and wasting her time for my "entertainment." If I weren't seriously considering staying there, I certainly could have found better things to do in Amsterdam than walking up four flights of stairs to spend 30 seconds in a depressingly spartan hotel room and be insulted for my interest.

In short, I am incredibly glad that I did not make a reservation at the Museumzicht in advance without seeing the hotel and meeting the staff first!

Completely aside from the attitude problems on the part of the staff, the room I saw was the very definition of sad -- claustrophobic and cheaply furnished with a bare minimum of disposable items. Bathroom facilities in the hallway bordered on unusable due to their liliputian dimensions.

I suspect that doubles are probably much nicer and more livable, but I didn't dare ask to see one, based on the attitude of the staffperson. I certainly would not recommend a single room in this hotel without checking it out first so you know what you are getting into. (A few years ago, this sort of room could have been had for the equivalent of $30 or less per night. It is shocking that it can now command two or three times that, and that it comes with a heaping helping of contempt from the staff, as a bonus.)

Ultimately, I wound up choosing a room in another part of town. For $15 a night more, it was furnished very comfortably, had about five times the space of the Museumzicht's single, and it featured a kitchen with stove and refrigerator, as well as private bath.

It also came with something a lot more valuable: hospitable and welcoming proprietors, who made me feel like a valued guest, rather than like a pariah. In short, you can do a lot better than the Museumzicht for the price.

In all fairness, maybe I caught the staff on a bad day or at an inconvenient time, but I have to say that in decades of traveling the world, from Africa to Europe and South America, I have rarely felt so unwelcome at a hotel.

The staff person attempted to recover a bit as a left, saying that it was "nothing personal" that she had been so suspicous and accusatory... but I don't think anyone would call that a welcoming reception that would entice him/her to stay there.

Museumzicht, you are off my list of places to stay next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank soflaswampthing
Amsterdam
Reviewed 13 May 2009

In the summer of 2008, my mother and myself stayed 3 weeks in the sphereful Hotel Museumzicht in the Jan Luykenstraat in Amsterdam. This hotel is situated in the most wanted area, for houses, in Amsterdam. The style of the hotel is like the old canal-houses,
inside you feel immediately as if it is your own house. The staff is very friendly and they
speak many languages. The rooms are very clean but most of all it's staying in a beautiful,
not too big hotel, in the center of this beautiful city, no better place to find to spend your holidays in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2008
Seattle
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Amsterdam classic architecture upstairs to a Rijksmuseum view.
The stairs make you smile and the spotlessly clean rooms greet you with cheery bed covers. Each room is filed with antique desks, pictures and wardrobes.
Breakfast is served in room with a view and the best coffee to be found in a hotel anywhere.
The Wi-Fi connection is free and fast.
Larissa and her terrier friend Jacki where fun to visit with and provided up to the minute information on what is going on today in Amsterdam.
Jeff and Barb D.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlaneurSeattle
Helsinki
Reviewed 1 May 2009

This was perfect hotel for us! Not luxurious but very homey. The room wasn't huge but big enough. Breakfast is served in nice salon with flowers and good views. Staff is very friendly and ready to give you tips where to go. If you are lucky you can have a little play with owner's 10-years-old dog Jacki. (Everybody is talking about the stairs but those are just stairs - just climb up!)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gogoer
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We have had a great weekend staying at this little hotel. The room was clean and nicely decorated with antique furniture. We especially loved the view over the museumplein. It's a bit of a climb (no elevator), but well worth it! There is art and antiques everywhere, and the breakfastroom alone is like a little museum.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple