“Good and Bad, Mostly Good”
Review of Hotel Museumzicht

Hotel Museumzicht
Ranked #228 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I was a solo traveler in a room with two beds (had no other choice due to late booking), and the extra bed left almost no room to move. No one is in their hotel room in Amsterdam anyway, but if there are two friends traveling thru the city and looking for a cheap room, the size may discourage you (the beds were up against the walls and there was about a foot between the two...with really no wiggle room on either end).

The staff situation is interesting. There was a younger girl that I thought was terrific. Knowledgeable of the city/transportation/etc. Friendly, willing to help, great. The owner was flat out rude to me each time I spoke with her. She has no desire to be helpful or affable. I asked her if there was a nearby cafe that she could recommend, and she responded with a sneer and "A cafe??? At this time???" The "time" was lunchtime. Then she gave me a half-hearted point in some direction, and mumbled something. I even tried 'killing her with kindness' at one point, thanking her for breakfast and effusively wishing her a nice afternoon, and it was still greeted with aloofness and rudeness.

The stairs are slightly insane: almost vertical in their steepness, extremely narrow, very tough to navigate with luggage. But then, the novelty of it is almost fun.

Breakfast I thought was good to very good. As much bread (white or wheat) as you want, along with an assortment of jams, nutella, honey, butter. A boiled egg, ham, cheese, a small OJ, plus coffee or tea. You eat in a neat old room with the other guests, and there is fitting music playing gently.

I didn't have a shower/toilet in my room, but, at least on the second floor, it wasn't an issue. Both of the communal rooms (one for toilet, one for shower) were kept clean, and there wasn't much of a congestion issue in my three nights there.

There was construction going on outside hotel, and with no A/C and my window open, I was woken up to the sound of jackhammers one morning. But obviously I can't blame the hotel for that.

The hotel is a good value and has a nice location near the major hotels and not far from the Leidesplain area. Bus 197 took me from nearby directly to the airport, which was nice. Free WiFi too.

Don't break your neck on the stairs (and pack lightly), ignore the rudeness of the owner, and enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank superdax

Reviewed 5 June 2010

I chose the Museumzicht because I'd seen it recommended and because the price fit my budget, though I was initially unsure about the location. After arriving in Amsterdam by train, I hopped on tram line 2/5 expecting to get lost, but to my surprise, I got dropped off literally right in front of the hotel. I was very enthusiastically greeted by the staff and given plenty of ideas of things to see.

Then came the room: number 8. I booked a single room without a bathroom; I was expecting it to be tiny, and indeed it's one of the smallest I've stayed in. Truth be told though, it was the perfect size. The room had a huge window that opened to a huge balcony (bigger than the room!) and such a lovely view. The toilet was behind the door just adjacent to the room, and the sink in the room makes a big difference.

If you're still scared about the tiny room, keep in mind that the double rooms are quite a bit larger, and some have private bathrooms if you require one.

Now the location... Don't waste your money on a several day tram pass because everything in the city is within walking distance once you orient yourself to the layout. If you can't stand walking though, don't fear because the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, and Cocertgebouw are visible from the hotel, and Leidseplein-which has every kind of food you could need as well as several nice bars and coffeeshops-is just a few blocks in the other direction from the museum. You can even catch a wonderful canal cruise not more than two blocks away.

Lastly, if the value weren't good enough already, the free breakfast matched anything you'd get at a bed and breakfast type place. The breakfast room is lovely and overlooks the Rijksmuseum. The seating is open so the guests tend to actually talk to each other during breakfast instead of just keeping to themselves at their assigned tables like at many places.

If you're at all considering a stay in Amsterdam, GO because it's a lovely and unique city that you must experience at least once, and you can't go wrong by staying at Museumzicht.

2  Thank trevorsm
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Nice character, budget accommodation. Excellent location for many museums also very close to the Vondel park and a major area of bars and eateries. Can be a little noisy with tram stops outside etc but not untypical for a city hotel. You must be able to cope with the typical Amsterdam steep staircases. Staff were freindly and helpful. Breakfast was basic but adequate

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Robby007
Reviewed 26 May 2010

-This was more or less the cheapest hotel we could find in Amsterdam at the time we booked (around a month before our four night stay over the Whitsun weekend.) However it turned out to be very good value and certainly contributed to an excellent first impression of the city for me, and an enjoyable return for my boyfriend. Quite a long walk from the city centre, this gives some breathing space with Museumplein and the Vondelpark nearby. Many attractions and restaurants are within easy walking distance and as well as the trams and buses, canal boats depart from nearby Singelgracht.

-The 120 year old building has huge character, especially those stairs. There are a total of 80 from the street to the top floor, and around 45 even to the lowest level. They are indeed very narrow so there's no chance to leave in a rush if you see your tram approaching out of the window! Not too much of a problem if you are relatively fit though. The stairs and hall are well decorated with posters and tips on things to see and do.

-Our room was small but practical; twin beds (soft and comfortable) pushed together underneath the attic beams, two chairs, a coffee table, wardrobe and sink. No TV or phone, but if you have as busy holiday as we did, you won't need them! The hotel does offer wi-fi and if you don't bring a laptop, the staff will search things online for you, such as transport routes and the weather forecast. The room's sash window gave adequate ventilation in the mid 20s Celsius weather, but might provide a draught in winter. Noise from the tram stop outside might give you problems if you have trouble sleeping; I wore earplugs on the first night rather than shut the window.

-A sign in reception warned about the risk of mice but I saw no evidence of them, even when I mistakenly left an apple on the floor while out for the day. The room and importantly, the toilet and shower, were both as clean as could be. The latter on the top floor are both small, but I had no problems with them. Make sure you give yourself a few extra minutes in the morning in case they are occupied when you want to use them. Other guests can also cause noise problems tramping up and down the stairs in the early hours, because you're given a front door key so you can come and go whenever you please.

-Breakfast was good: unlimited bread or toast, with a boiled egg, cheese and ham, jams and other spreads, orange juice, and tea or coffee. Certainly enough for a busy day's sightseeing, and all organic/free range. It is not served before 8:30 however. The owner's Jack Russell likes to play ball in the mornings, but if you don't like dogs, she's easy to avoid.

-One piece of important info: the hotel charges 5% on credit cards, TAKE CASH to pay for your room when you arrive.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Because this hotel was one of the least expensive ones I looked at for the weekend we were in Amsterdam, I didn't know what to expect when we got there. We were very pleasantly surprised, however. The hotel is lovely and our room was fantastic. We were in a corner room upstairs and had 3 windows. Sitting up from our bed we could see the I Amsterdam sign and we had nice seats as well so our room was a comfortable place to have an afternoon rest. The breakfast room is decorated with lovely, quirky things and the breakfast itself consisted of fresh tea and coffee, all you can eat toast, preserves and spreads, a slice of ham and cheese and a boiled egg. The bathroom and shower were both clean and sharing was not a problem. We had a great experience and would go back for sure. The one thing is if you are a light sleeper, the trams right outside can be quite noisy, although they are very convenient for getting around. We sleep through anything though so it was not a problem at all.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank br00kstar
Reviewed 6 May 2010

This was my second time in a year visiting Amsterdam- this time with
my Hubby & Dad visiting from the USA. We originally had tried to book a couple
nights during the popular "Queens Day" celebrations, but sadly, the hotel was
booked up, so we settled for the Sun/Mon preceding the festivities. The hotel
was just as I remembered and I had advised my Dad & Hubby about the steep stairs,
small rooms, loo & shower down the hall etc. but they were still game and were
totally charmed with Jackie the dog and the lovely eclectic breakfast room & cheerful
service. The parking fairies were looking over us when we lucked-out and got a free
spot (Sunday) right in front of the hotel. The next morning we moved the car over to the P+R lot at the Stadium at a SUPER BARGAIN for only 6euros a day including the bus tix to get to & fro.
HIGHLIGHTS of our trip included a visit to the "Artis Zoo" - they let the lemurs run freely around the visitors and they are NOT SHY :) We checked out the local jazz scene, enjoying two nights of shows featuring a FAB musician named Rene van Beeck- he sang, played the flugel horn & upright bass.
ROOMS: We booked the last two available rooms; they were on the top floor and the smallest in the building. They were charming and we didn't mind. There was a sink in each room. The toilet and shower were SUPER small on this floor. I would guess the WC is smaller than the economy class facilities on a budget airline. We managed, and did okay.
After comparing prices in the Amsterdam area, I found that you can NOT GET A BETTER VALUE for your $ than the Hotel Museumzicht in Amsterdam. We are already booking early for next year.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2010

OK given that we didn't want to spend much for a weekend trip in this expensive city.
Location is its best attribute - right next to Van Gogh and Rijks and well connected with trams 2 and 5, but the rest is just marginal. Most rooms come without private bathroom so have to share with the rooms on the floor.... this is still OK.
Rooms are clean and beds are comfy.
One last fact - Under my bed there was a mouse trap with a piece of cheese, and also a box full of poison pills for the rats so... should one go to bed expecting the catch of the night?

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends