“Better alternative to hostels for the traveler on a budget.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Museumzicht
Ranked #227 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Better alternative to hostels for the traveler on a budget.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed here with a friend over the world cup final weekend. Booked at last minute for about the same price as hostels were going for. It is without a doubt incredible value for money. Free (basic) breakfast with unlimited coffee and toast (that you have to be persistent to get the most out of), amazing location, clean, safe; a real base to work from in the city. Couldn't recommend it more. Fantastic.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank tomwatret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Upon arrival I noted the VERY steep steps and there are many of them as the hotel lobby is on the third floor. I didn't mind this as I realize this is the charm of Amsterdam... But be forewarned... if you are not in tip top shape you are in for a fitness trial.

After making it to the Lobby I was greeted by a pleasant owner, it seems that within moments of realizing I was a single guy traveling in Amsterdam her charming demeanor changed to complete skepticism... I tried to reassure her that I was only there to see the fantastic art collections but her attitude didn't seem to change.

The situation soon went even further south after I saw my single room. I would have to agree with the other reviewers when I say that the single room was a disgrace not fit for any use other than a broom closet. Bottom line: DO NOT BOOK THE SINGLE ROOM.

I am generally non-confrontational but claustrophobia and panic got the better of me and after consulting my boyfriend on the phone I mustered up the courage to ask for a better room. Upon my request she asked "Why?" and "Claustrophobic?" ... If you know the room makes people claustrophobic than why is it even a room???

After agreeing to pay an additional ten euro I was given my choice of two double rooms which were a world of a difference. They were quirky and cute and even had real windows. My experience of the hotel improved after the change and the owner even seemed to warm up to me though not enough to make me feel completely comfortable.

1 Thank JamesVarick
Oyster Bay, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

This hotel was very nice. The service was good as the owner offers to help you get accustomed to the city by explaining the map and breakfast is served every morning at reasonable hours. The main problem at this hotel is the stairs. While they are managable, going up them with 20 kilo/45 pound backpacks was not fun, I cannot imagine the trip with a large suitcase. Without luggage the stairs still get you winded, especcially if traveling all the way up to the third floor. Here is a video that shows the steepness and length of the stairs, we found it quite entertaining. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53Ihw1k3jg&feature=channel
So if willing to get winded on each journey to your room, this hotel has great service, clean rooms and public bathrooms and a great location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank carlyb_unc
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

When I arrived at the hotel I thought, "well, this is a quaint little place" and the staff who greeted me were very friendly and immediately offered advice on where to go and what to see. At that time, my room wasn't ready so I went out for a walk to get orientated while I waited.

When I got back, and went up to my room, I have to admit, my immediate thoughts were "Are you serious?"... But then I considered where I was, and looked around at the other options, thought briefly about moving to another place, but ended up embracing the experience, and I'm glad I did.

Basically, the room was just big enough for the bed, a small desk and the sink. I wasn't expecting much (I had read the previous reviews) but for some reason wasn't expecting the MJ BAD album cover and Ted Van Bergen book on the shelf... kinda threw me a bit.

At the end of the day, it was a great little base for a few days in Amsterdam. Close to Museums, Trams, and well within walking distance to the infamous "Red Light" district and the rest of the Amsterdam Canal network.

The breakfast was simple, but enjoyable. I enjoyed the peaceful music in the morning as well. The free WIFI was unexpected, and much appreciated!

1 Thank VIVAHUME
Sanibel Island, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

I was a solo traveler in a room with two beds (had no other choice due to late booking), and the extra bed left almost no room to move. No one is in their hotel room in Amsterdam anyway, but if there are two friends traveling thru the city and looking for a cheap room, the size may discourage you (the beds were up against the walls and there was about a foot between the two...with really no wiggle room on either end).

The staff situation is interesting. There was a younger girl that I thought was terrific. Knowledgeable of the city/transportation/etc. Friendly, willing to help, great. The owner was flat out rude to me each time I spoke with her. She has no desire to be helpful or affable. I asked her if there was a nearby cafe that she could recommend, and she responded with a sneer and "A cafe??? At this time???" The "time" was lunchtime. Then she gave me a half-hearted point in some direction, and mumbled something. I even tried 'killing her with kindness' at one point, thanking her for breakfast and effusively wishing her a nice afternoon, and it was still greeted with aloofness and rudeness.

The stairs are slightly insane: almost vertical in their steepness, extremely narrow, very tough to navigate with luggage. But then, the novelty of it is almost fun.

Breakfast I thought was good to very good. As much bread (white or wheat) as you want, along with an assortment of jams, nutella, honey, butter. A boiled egg, ham, cheese, a small OJ, plus coffee or tea. You eat in a neat old room with the other guests, and there is fitting music playing gently.

I didn't have a shower/toilet in my room, but, at least on the second floor, it wasn't an issue. Both of the communal rooms (one for toilet, one for shower) were kept clean, and there wasn't much of a congestion issue in my three nights there.

There was construction going on outside hotel, and with no A/C and my window open, I was woken up to the sound of jackhammers one morning. But obviously I can't blame the hotel for that.

The hotel is a good value and has a nice location near the major hotels and not far from the Leidesplain area. Bus 197 took me from nearby directly to the airport, which was nice. Free WiFi too.

Don't break your neck on the stairs (and pack lightly), ignore the rudeness of the owner, and enjoy.

1 Thank superdax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

I chose the Museumzicht because I'd seen it recommended and because the price fit my budget, though I was initially unsure about the location. After arriving in Amsterdam by train, I hopped on tram line 2/5 expecting to get lost, but to my surprise, I got dropped off literally right in front of the hotel. I was very enthusiastically greeted by the staff and given plenty of ideas of things to see.

Then came the room: number 8. I booked a single room without a bathroom; I was expecting it to be tiny, and indeed it's one of the smallest I've stayed in. Truth be told though, it was the perfect size. The room had a huge window that opened to a huge balcony (bigger than the room!) and such a lovely view. The toilet was behind the door just adjacent to the room, and the sink in the room makes a big difference.

If you're still scared about the tiny room, keep in mind that the double rooms are quite a bit larger, and some have private bathrooms if you require one.

Now the location... Don't waste your money on a several day tram pass because everything in the city is within walking distance once you orient yourself to the layout. If you can't stand walking though, don't fear because the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, and Cocertgebouw are visible from the hotel, and Leidseplein-which has every kind of food you could need as well as several nice bars and coffeeshops-is just a few blocks in the other direction from the museum. You can even catch a wonderful canal cruise not more than two blocks away.

Lastly, if the value weren't good enough already, the free breakfast matched anything you'd get at a bed and breakfast type place. The breakfast room is lovely and overlooks the Rijksmuseum. The seating is open so the guests tend to actually talk to each other during breakfast instead of just keeping to themselves at their assigned tables like at many places.

If you're at all considering a stay in Amsterdam, GO because it's a lovely and unique city that you must experience at least once, and you can't go wrong by staying at Museumzicht.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank trevorsm
Kingston upon Hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

Nice character, budget accommodation. Excellent location for many museums also very close to the Vondel park and a major area of bars and eateries. Can be a little noisy with tram stops outside etc but not untypical for a city hotel. You must be able to cope with the typical Amsterdam steep staircases. Staff were freindly and helpful. Breakfast was basic but adequate

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo