“It's OK for a Budget Hotel”
Review of Armada Hotel

Armada Hotel
Ranked #299 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 April 2008

I was a little apprehensive about this hotel after reading the mixed nature of the reviews but I needn't have worried as it was an OK little budget hotel.

I went with 5 other friends and we had two triple rooms - the room that I was in was a bit on the small side but we managed. The bathroom was a wet room which is not something I am particularly fond of (coz everything gets wet!) but it was clean and there was no shortage of hot water. The towels were a little thin and one we had was a bit tatty round the edges but they were clean. One slight criticism is that there was nowhere to hang up towels.

Our friends were in a downstairs room to start with which was a bit dark but they were moved with no hesitation the next morning when a higher floor room became available. Their room was a better size than ours too.

Breakfast was a good continental type affair - cereal, juice, boiled eggs, cheese, ham etc with bread rolls and there was always plenty to eat.

The hotel is right on the Kaisergracht and is next to a cafe which was a little noisy but it didn't keep me awake but lighter sleepers might suffer but I was happy to be at the front to see the canal view every morning. I presume the rooms at the back would be quieter if this is a problem for you.

Location wise it was ideal - just next to the number 4 tram stop and only a few stops from the Centraal Station. A short walk took you to the Rembrandtplein with lots of bars etc. Around the corner from the hotel was a great little Indian restaurant called the Meghna - we all agreed the best Indian food we had tasted in a long time and at a very reasonable price. The reception staff were perfectly pleasant and gave us all the help that we asked for including keeping our luggage for us on the last day.

All in all if you are on a budget - you could do worse than this hotel - it's not fancy but clean and in a great location.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank fofoma
There are newer reviews for Armada Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2008

We stayed for 3 nights over a weekend. The hotel was booked by a friend for a group of us and, after looking at some previous reviews we were a little worried to say the least.

It didn't turn out to be as bad as we though and, for the price, in Amsterdam it was OK. Good location right on the corner of Two of the main streets with a great little restarant and, bar right outside on the canal.

The reception and, hallways look a little tatty and, could do with some new lights and, a paint job but, the room was adequate except one of the panes on the window was broken and, let a breeze in which is good because there is NO A/C and, it was pretty hot with the Sun beating down through the window and, thin curtains in the morning. Those of us who had a big night were less than pleased.

The Bathroom had been refurbished into a Wet room recently so it worked.

The reception staff were not that freindly and, there was a little noise at night from people walking down the hallways. There is nowhere to store luggage securely on departure you just leave it in a pile in the dining room but there is always someone at the reception watching it. We felt reasonably safe in our room though.

Bring your change as the most wonderful addition to any hotel awaits you in the lobby. A beer vending machine, this was a godsend after the long walk home from some of the Bars that had closed in the early hours.

Dont expect too much, get out and about in Amsterdam and, you should enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 February 2008

Went there with a mate in Nov 07 hoping to finally see some of the cultural side of Amsterdam. The location of the hotel is superb. Theres a tram right outside and you're a 20 min walk either north to the red light area or south to the museums and my favourite square in Amsterdam is literally right around the corner.

The hotel itself is dirty - but i didnt care, I wouldnt go there with my wife but for a "lads weekend away" its just fine. The stairs up to the rooms are a tad precarious and i wouldnt recommend an unfit person books in here.

Breakfast was basic but adequate, rolls, cheese, ham, coffee, cereal etc... If that doesnt sound good theres a really friendly coffee shop about 10m from the door that does nice food.

The room was tiny - mine was billed as a double but was an ok size for a single, i certainly wouldnt want to try and fit 2 people into it. The bathroom again was tiny but really well designed as a mini wet room - I've considered modelling my own bathroom at home on something similar after being there.

The staff were friendly enough and the price was one of the cheapest we could get with our late booking. Overall i'm pleased with the Armada - its good value for ££, I'd go back like a shot with my mates but would maybe think twice about going with my wife

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2008

We stayed in the armada for 3 nights over New Year. We paid quite a lot of money for this period.

The location is great on the corner of the Keizersgracht and the Utrechtsestraat close to the Rembrantplein and on the tram line. I am a frequent visitor to Amsterdam and this is one of my favorite parts of the city. I love the bustling local life. Unfortunately we couldn't
get into our usual hotel so the Armada had to do.

The reception area was ok and this room doubled as the breakfast area, which again, was just ok. The communal areas and the hallways/
stairways were incredibly poorly maintained and of very low (lower than hostel) standards. The carpets had been ripped up the walls were bearing electrical wires. the lights were out and the floor and walls were covered in mystery stains. I think they were renovating part of it but for me it needs to be rebuilt entirely.

Our room was tiny but had an excellent view of the canal and the main street. It was up 4 flights of stairs and the lift was out though so this was very tiring, though we tended to spend no time in the hotel at all, no point when you're in amsterdam.

On more than one occasion did we see strange people wandering the halls or plastering in their underwear. Surreal experience, like being
in an eastern european hostel at Marriot prices!

I wouldn't stay here again, if it was mega cheap then I would overlook
all its horrible failings, but it's not.

It didn't ruin our break, it would take a lot to ruin a holiday in the
Dam for me. We just spent our time laughing at how horrible it was!

Don't bother unless its the last resort.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2007

The setting of this hotel is good, but it is nothing special in itself. Watch out though. They took an unauthorised sum of money from our debit card after we had left and 3 months later have failed to reply to all approaches by me and my bank to have it repaid.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 October 2007

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in May 2007. Being frequent visitors to Amsterdam (we go about 4 times a year), we have stayed in many different budget hotels there and this one was by far the best.

Its located right beside a canal and we had a lovely view from our room overlooking it. There is a little bar/restaurant right beside it which does lovely food and a great little coffeeshop around the corner which has lovely smoke!! Its in a great location and there is a tram stop right outside the door.

Our room was quite large, very clean and a big clean bathroom. We were given clean towels and our bed was changed every day. Its also very reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly, in fact, we like it so much that we are going back to stay there again next weekend!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2007

Went with a good friend - we were only really bothered about our hotel being central as we weren't planning on spending much time in our room, so for this, Hotel Armada was perfect.

Our room was small & bathroom tiny, but perfectly clean and we actually had a view of the canal, as promised in the hotel name!! So that was one pleasant surprise.

The communal stairwell and other areas are falling down and filthy, it has to be said, but the room was cheap and we were really pleased with being so central so we just go on with it and had a great time out in Amsterdam! Didn't bother trying breakfast in the hotel as tehre was a lovely bakery on the corner and it was only a couple of minutes walk up to the shops. There's a tram stop right outside the hotel which takes you straight to Central Station too.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends