“hem hostel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #286 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
paris
“hem hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

the rooms are nice, clean.
the tramway is near the hotel.
two supermarket near the hotel.
lift out of service.
reception are really not helpful and not welcome.
look more like a good hostel and not a hotel................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank barnaoui m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed here just for one night as the picture looks ok, and the price was good. It has an average rating on here so I thought why not? It's only for one night. I think I just got a bad room. The main thing for me was smell. I'm not good with smells and this room smelled of cheap stale cigarettes. The bathroom smelled of stale urine. As we walked in though it was basic but what we expected. My main problem was the bathroom, there was the worst shower I have ever seen in my life, it looked like an outside tap and it sprayed in any direction but the shower which resulted in a flooded bathroom as there was no door. The toilet didn't flush but my boyfriend fixed it. The bedside lamp didn't work and my bed dipped in the middle. Good TV though with BBC 1 and 2, however the 'free wifi' wouldn't work. Also a little tricky to find at first and I don't think I'd bother staying again...

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 356
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Askex for a cheap room within tram distance of central square. Hotel was cheap as Chips for booking early and no problem throughout my stay although it was a little cold

• Stayed November 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I checked in the Hem Hotel at 10pm. 10minutes after packing, The power cut off. We then went down to complain and the staff were rude. A male member said they cant do anything beside we have to wait. it's been over 2 hours stilling in a dark room with no tv no light or nothing! Again, we went downstairs and asked a different member of staff and he said they will give us a free pizza for the inconvenience so we waited downstairs. Whilst waiting, we NOTICED A RAT IN THE FOOD AREA. again we told the staff and his respone was "Oh, is that all?" and walked away. This is our first 3hours in the Hem Hotel and all i can say is this is possibly the worst ive ever been in. Im not much of a complainer but I feel this is unaceptable. Hopefully if you stay you wont recieve the service we have. Thanks for reading.

4 Thank simonhoang
grantham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I found this hotel surprisngly good.It is a 20 minute tram ride to the city centre,which is great because you do get to see Amsterdam on the way.For just 7 euros you can buy a 24 hour ticket.
The hotel is in a residential area,but there are places to eat just a short distance away.
The room was quite spacious and quiet.I am a light sleeper but I slept very well for the 2 nights we were here.
The only thing in our room was shower gel/handsoap.There is no hairdryer,I understand you can hire from reception and it did say on the website some rooms had 1.
The only negative was the shower.The shower head was really hard to move and the water missed my body ,I had to stand right in the corner of the cubicle to get the water on to me!
We did eat breakfast for 12 .50 euros.This included cereals,bread bacon scrambled eggs,fruit,yoghurt,it was really good food and value.
I found the reception team friendly and helpful.
The bar area was great for the 16 of us to meet and have a drink before going out.
This hotel is a good budget hotel just outside of Amsterdam,lso if you are searching for luxury you will not find it here.
We came with a large group of friends and had a great time and it was really good value for money.If I came to Amsterdam again I would prefer to be nearer to centre of the city.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank minkygirl
portsmouth uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Well i have stayed at the Hem hotel on 5 different occasions in the last 4-5 years. However i am never to stay at this place again!!
On the first few visits on several occasions i and a freind were sleeping in our room when we woke to find a member of the hotel staff opening our room door with no real reason. The staff did not seem to be as friendly as you would of hoped and were not helpful at all. On my 5th stay a number of items got stolen from our room, clothes, aftershave, and a rucksack had been stolen with no sign of a break in. We were told by THE MANAGER of the hotel that no1 had a key apart from us and her. We found a english maintenance man strollinou want safe andg the corridors the next day with a master key to every room.!!! If you want a place to stay that you can FEEL SAFE IN. . . . DONT STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo