West Side Inn Hotel
US$485
US$387
US$362
  • Room Service
Hotel The Exchange(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$327
US$288
Agoda.com
US$836
US$622
Agoda.com
  • Pool
NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$352
US$537
Travelocity
  • Pool
2,052 results
All reviewstram stopnumber trampublic transportlidlvondelpark
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My friend and I recently stayed one night at the HEM hotel. Although this was my first visit, my friend had stayed here three or four times before. We usually stay at the Inner hotel near the museumplein but the rate for one night at this hotel was hard to beat on this occasion. We paid just £17.00 each for a twin room (not including breakfast).

The Hem hotel is out of the city centre and is located in what looks like a “dodgy” council estate. It is about a 5-8 minute walk from Heemstedestraat metro station (50 train). The No 2 tram also stops here.

On arrival we were greeted by a friendly chap who checked us in. As we arrived early our room wasn’t quite ready but we were able to leave our bags in a secure luggage room. After a few hours in the city we returned and checked into our room which was located on the first floor.

I have to say I was really surprised how spacious our room was. For a cheap budget hotel the beds were excellent with very comfortable mattresses. The furniture was in good order with plenty of storage space. The room came with TV and telephone. The bathroom too was very good, we were supplied with two towels each plus toiletries were supplied. The shower was also very good, water was hot and powerful. The room was very clean. The only real gripe was that there was no in-room safe, other than that the room was perfect for our needs.

The hotel itself had a number of amenities including a lobby bar, a restaurant, pool table, a night club and an outside patio area. One big plus point is that if you come by car there is parking available at the hotel, something that is a bit of a nightmare in the city centre hotels.
Breakfast is optional, you can choose between a light breakfast in the lobby bar or a full buffet breakfast in the restaurant for 10 euro’s. I went for the full option which included the usual European fair of meats and cheeses, boiled eggs, cereals and various breads etc. Tea, coffee and fruit juices completed the fair.

Getting into the city centre is very easy as previously mentioned the Metro station and the No2 tram are just a short walk away. Also, very close to the hotel under the motorway bridge and in amongst the estate are a number of shops including a very large Lidl plus a couple of eateries. The hotel is also very convenient for Schiphol airport being just one stop away from Lelylaan station.

For the money there were no grumbles from us and we would certainly consider staying at the HEM again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. I came to visit places of interest that represents the local culture of Holland. I didn't like the smell of smoke in the hotel corridors. The hotel needs a pest control to clean it from bugs and mice. I was shocked to find out a mice eating my cheese (photos will follow). Staff were nice but it doesn't make it a good place to stay. The hotel doesn't deserve a 3 ***. I have been studying Management in Travel and Tourism and worked in Conrad and Hilton hotels. This cannot be compared to this. I've been to many hotels and places around Europe but I have never seen like this one.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2012

This place was weird. It felt like a hostel, there was always a random man sleeping in a chair in the lobby.
The room smelt of stale fags, clearly not redecorated since the smoking ban a couple of years ago. The room was basic, but fine. The bathroom was new, and nice. Clean and modern. But location, if you don't mind a 30 min tram to the centre, it's OK. Tram stop just around the corner.
If it's cheap then fine, but as I stayed during Marathon weekend I was ripped off.
There was also a water waste pipe (we think) just above the ceiling tiles in our room, which sounded like running water actually in our room, through the night. Very odd.
Our room also didn't have a view, it looked out onto a covered courtyard with about 5 scary paintings of Buddha.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view. Ours looked out into a covered courtyard with about 5 scary paintings of Buddha. Really odd.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stay in HEM Hotel for two night. and we like it !
We were very happy with the price, It's cheaper that others hotels in Amsterdam.
The parking is very convinient, especially in a city like Amsterdam where it is quite difficult to park.
It is not so far from the city center : the tramway station was just near the hotel and in 15 minutes maximum we were in Leidseplein !
The rooms was correct and clean.
The only negative point is that is is a no smoking hotel and the only smoking area is outside ..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 5 November 2012

first time visiting amsterdam so don't have anything to compare it with. it wasn't like reviews i have read you got what you paid for a base to visit amsterdam rooms were clean enough staff were freindly and helpful its a 10 min tram ride to dam square and 7.50 euro for 24 hour ticket

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple