“Hem Hotel almost a disaster!”

West Side Inn Hotel
Ranked #293 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Hem Hotel almost a disaster!”
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I booked this hotel through Hotelclub.com and I have been stung by them before! The hotel is situated far away from the centre of Amsterdam but luckily 15 minutes journey on a tram. The hotel is scruffy and the service from the staff is poor. We had a triple room as I was travelling with my wife and 14 year old daughter. The room itself was of a reasonable standard but totally innappropriate as you could see people in the shower as the wall between the shower and the room was glass? The room was tidy and the bedding and sleeping arrangements were good. Breakfast was acceptable. The whole experience was ruined by poor customer service and very tired shabby looking interior to the hotel. We also got stung for a £35 car park charge on checking out which they did not tell us about on check-in.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
HemHotel, Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for the review.

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

Indeed, we are 15 minutes away from the centre by tram and we are honest about our location on all resources.

Our parking lot is not free, we charge €12,50 for 24 hours, which is much cheaper than public parking in the centre, which costs €5 per hour. Though, reception should have warned you about that extra cost. We are going to have a word with our reception employees.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us a second chance!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I read alot of reviews on here after booking this hotel over Christmas, and I must say this website must be full of people with pretty high standards, because for the price the HEM was perfect. We stayed in the annexe, unfortunately in a non-smoking room. It was a twin room which was clean and tidy. The bathroom had a habit of flooding though. Very good location in comparison to the tram stop, and it's only 5 minutes from a little greengrocers. The staff by and large were friendly, with the exception of the barwoman who answered my question about the location of the local supermarket with "it's closed.".. Overall, a very good budget option, and I shall probably be returning there in September.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph D
Caceres, Spain
Reviewed 17 July 2010

NIce people working there, always wanting to help. Good rooms and well-communicated with downtown.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Malmo
Reviewed 13 July 2010

To be fair there are two good things about this hotel; they serve good breakfasts and the trams are within easy access, but that is pretty much it.
We were a party of five people travelling together and had booked three rooms for a weekend. They were all quite shabby, with mouldy patches on the walls/ceiling and with showers that flooded the bathroom floor, when used. The sleep quality was poor as people were running and talking loudly in the corridor during the night, using the fire escape to go out and smoke and slamming the door shut behind them. The staff in the reception was extremely unprofessional and rude. The overall impression is that of a poor youth hostel rather than a hotel and therefor extremely overpriced! I am an experienced traveller and have stayed in hotels and hostels all over the world and rarely have I come across a place of a poorer standard.
I would never go back to this place or recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cecilia_Alex

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Mission
Reviewed 6 July 2010

It is amazing that Americans like myself are willing to travel 1000's of miles to spend our hard-earned dollars on average motel rooms. It was clean, but there was no breakfast included and the hotel itself is hard to find and out of the way. The price was too much.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Wrexham
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend in March and had a really good time. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very helpful Dutch lady. When checking in we paid for parking which was quite expensive. We were also given our room number and details which we said were wrong. The lady tried her best to get us into the room we wanted but couldn't so we were happy with the room we had. When getting to the room I wasn't sure what to think. I looked all right but it was rather shabby. I thought there is room for improvement. I though the bathroom could do with some doing up. the shower wasn't very good went from cold to hot, the floor needed something as the water came through the shower door and I slipped not expecting it to be wet before I put the towel down. I thought the hotel was very far out from the city centre but the tram was only a few mins walk from the hotel. The nights sleep was disturbed as I have no idea what was going on and I don't want to know what was going on but nothing was done by staff even with complaints. In the morning we went down for breakfast and it was the nicest hotel breakfast ever. No complaints about that at all. I do think something needs to be done with the lobby as it looks crowded and not welcoming. I'd say if anyone wanted a cheap hotel away from all the hustle and bustle of the city. This would be perfect for them.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
HemHotel, Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for the feedback.

Indeed, we have considered restyling our lobby and done it recently. The elevator shaft in the middle of it, however, makes it very hard, so we did only incremental changes. But that is definitely something to consider for the near future.

Excuse us for problems with your bathroom. I have forwarded your comments to the maintenance department for further investigation.

We look forward to welcoming you back!
Osijek, Croatia
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Considering the price of 250 euros for 5 x B&B for two people, you can't ask for more. But accomodation is a bit below average, and too far from everything.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
HemHotel, Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for the review.

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. In fact, tram 2 is within a 5-minute walk and metro is within a 10-minute walk from the hotel. Maybe, we should have provided clearer directions, for which, please, excuse us.

We hope you give us a second chance!