Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark
Prinsen Hotel(Amsterdam)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Alexander(Amsterdam)
1,838 results
All reviewsbunk bedsgames roomfemale dormstag docommon roomluggage storagecommon areasfree breakfastrent a bikeshower and toiletlocation is greatyogurtvan gogh museumthe red light districtminute walkcity centredam square
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My hubby and I stayed here with our 3 sons and an adult family friend for 2 nights in January 2012. We had a room with 6 bunk beds in it and we each had a large locker, which could be locked if you bring your own padlock, or you can probably buy a padlock at the Stayokay. They also had safes in the public area that can be rented.

Our room was quite spacious and we had our own shower, toilet and handbasin which were all separate from each other, which is a very practical design. We also had a window with a lovely garden outlook, and a table with 2 chairs. We only found 2 power points, one next to the handbasin and 1 near the table. It would probably be handy to have a few more, when everyone has something they need charged! The only other minor issue was that the shower sprayed a lot so that the floor adjacent to the shower got quite wet.

Our room was very clean and we were given clean linen to make our beds. We brought our own towels. We were not disturbed by any noise during our stay. In the morning we had the buffet breakfast that was included in the price. The breakfast consisted of cold sliced meat and cheese, bread which you could toast, spreads, hard boiled eggs, 2 cereals, yoghurt, fruit, juice and coffee. It was not a buffet like you would expect at a big hotel, but it was generous, fresh and healthy. It was great to be able to use the free wifi in the public areas, especially during the breakfast to plan your day.

From this location you can easily walk to trams and the canal boats, and the museum district and Leidseplien where there are a lot of restaurants. Overall, great!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Naomi B
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The location was great, the staff were friendly enough, food good, wifi, showers and bathrooms dorm-ish, but honestly it may have been the season (early January) but the room was humid/uncomfortable and I couldnt sleep well. Now the guy above me, his aroma and snoring probably did contribute, but compared to other hostels I've stayed at, my stay at stayokay was almost prophetically okay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Even isn't located at downtown you can get there walking easily – and the way is beautiful.
I stayed in a female room at the top floor and the room was good – big and clean. The locker is big enough for a bag of 60L and with rangers and you still have space for more things... The breakfast is the best part – biggest variety I found in Europe and good quality – you can even save some food for later ;) You pay for use internet, but you can use the computer for free – was is good if you want to save some pictures and write about the trip.
There is a bar downstairs where you can have dinner or just hang out and meet people...The staff is ok...
The place has a lift – you'll need it if you stay at 5th floor! And is close to the street where have the main buses, trams, etc lines.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The location is ideal - right next to beautiful vondelpark and walking distance to museumplein. My group stayed in a 6-bedded private room, seperate shower room & seperate room with toilet and sink in the outside....which was a helpful setup considering that we were an all female group! Wifi is only available in lobby - fyi. Overall, the room was clean, breakfast was good and staff was very friendly. I would definitely stay here again....don't forget to rent a bike! :-)

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed at Stayokay for five nights, as part of a 3+ month solo Europe backpacking trip.

It's a fifteen minute walk from the train station. Public transit is available.
Upon entering, I was treated to a spacious interior and an excellent common area.

Pros:

- the common area, out of all the hostels I stayed at, made me feel the most comfortable in talking to new people. Sofas and square-cushioned seats are spaced so that you can sit near other people without feeling like you're intruding on their space. It encourages mingling while feeling open and spacious.

- my bedroom had six beds and itself was quite roomy.

- my top two hostel needs were:
1. secure lockers to store my things, and
2. free wifi, so I could plan the rest of my trip

My bedroom had tall and spacious lockers. I put all my valuables in there and used the padlock I brought with me. They were probably the biggest lockers I've had all trip.

Wifi is free and worked perfectly.

- The shower is separate from the toilet (two different rooms) and I love hostels that implement this, it helps me feel like I'm not holding someone up from using the toilet while I'm showering.

- The sink is right outside the restroom, so you can even shave or brush your teeth independently from anyone who's showering or using the restroom. Genius!

- Breakfast is excellent, tasty, and they had a nice variety. Meats, bread, cereal, yogurt, and fruits.

- Stayokay Vondelpark is right next to a peaceful park (perfect for bike-riding) and a short walk from the Van Gogh museum.

Cons:

- I believe I found only one electric outlet in my room, near the sink. I wish there were some by the beds so I could recharge my valuables and keep them more hidden. But everyone in my room was friendly and one of my roommates had a small power strip, so we used that.

- It's a fifteen minute walk from the city center, which is only a con if it matters that you are really close to it. I personally enjoyed being close to the park, and I liked walking through Amsterdam. Public transit is also an option.

Conclusion:

The pure genius in common area & room design puts this hostel ahead of the majority of places I've stayed at. There were plenty of friendly travelers to meet and talk with. Stayokay Vondelpark meets, exceeds, and surprised my expectations.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Triad47