“pristine!”

Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Our group of 55 teenagers and five adults thoroughly enjoyed their stay Very safe, clean and well managed and very central. Meals were excellent and compliments to the chef- nice coffee machine! The entrance was secure. Lovely area for internet. Good vending machine. Showers hot and good pressure. Linen very pretty, clean and fresh. Well maintained lifts. This was a second time round that we used this hostel- in 2010 and again now so definitely worthwhile but book well in advance as very popular.
Polite front desk staff and their English is excellent.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms facing on to the park and entrance were a little noisier late at night
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cindy L

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed here for my two nights in Amsterdam and was generally pleased with it. It's a massive complex that's situated a far walk from the main street, which was kind of a drag but luckily they had some signs close to the place or else I would never have made it there.
The beds were clean, but I again got the top bunk, which was a drag. In my dorm there are two sinks, one shower and one bath, which didn't work out very well. I ended up waiting about 30 minutes to get a shower sometimes, which was a real waste of time and the shower smelled a little funky and was not that nice.
The breakfast provided in the morning was fairly extensive for a hostel, with a variety of bread, hard-boiled eggs, some fruit, slices of cold cuts, cereal and OJ and milk to drink.
It felt kind of nice to have a key card to enter so the whole stay felt more upscale but I never really took advantage of any of the facilities so I can't comment on them. The staff were as friendly as can be, but again, didn't interact with them much.
Would I stay here again? Possibly, but I've found there's an extensive amount of good hostels in Amsterdam so depending on where I'd want to be I'd switch. The great thing about this hostel is it's close to some major tram lines but I guess most of Amsterdam is.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed here on a tour of the Netherlands and was very impressed by the comfortable and clean accommodation. The rooms were spacious, well lit and we were very impressed by feel of the place, we wish we had more time to spend there!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights in December 2011.

[[ LOCATION ]]
Love the location; within walking distance to Van Gogh Museum and the drinking spots.

[[ SECURITY ]]
Even though it is along a rather quiet and dark street that overlooks the park on one side (even quieter), there is a house along the street with lights that turn on whenever people walk by. The doors at the front of the hostel are double locked ones, with another locked door to access the rooms, so I always felt quite safe here.

[[ ROOM ]]
I stayed in a 6-bed ensuite dorm which looked clean but a little outdated. The bed was average but I could sleep anywhere so I can't be the best gauge (that said, best bed had to go to a Florence hostel).

The view outside was not that exciting (some small street in Amsterdam) and the floor felt sticky? Possibly material of floor rather than cleanliness, but I can't really tell. I do like that they air it everyday so it was not as musty despite the dated room. The shower and separate toilet were clean but as with the rest of the room, dated.

[[ BREAKFAST ]]
Basic breakfast and quite busy when I was there because I woke up late (always one of the last). A few rotation but not much, yet it was included in the room rate and filling so nothing to complain about.

I do like the breakfast room/s though; very bright and happy.

[[ LUGGAGE STORAGE ]]
Easy-to-use lockers which I had no problems using. No problems locating an empty locker as well, so that was good.

[[ LOUNGE & FREE WIFI ]]
Reliable wifi with passwords printed on little pieces of paper available at reception. The lounge is clean but not very sociable so that was a pity. The lights were sufficient but for some reason, it never felt very bright.

[[ BAR ]]
Cheap beer during happy hour and friendly atmosphere though a little quiet when I was there.

It was not a great stay but it was not horrible. I wish there is a kitchen in the hostel because I could go without Dutch cuisine, plus it would bring down costs! Might try other Amsterdam hostels in future because it felt a bit dull to an otherwise exciting city (and I'm not even the partying sort)!

Tip for Amsterdam:
1) buy the Museumkaart -- I skipped the looooong line at Van Gogh Museum with it, which I visited multiple times without extra charges. Among other museums and attractions of course!
2) VERY pricey but delicious steak house nearby: Castell
3) have pancakes (Pancakes! Amsterdam is really delicious - not far to walk to)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank leepypy
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The staff was all the time nice since our arrival. The Hostel has all the "services" expected from a hostel (laundry, free WiFi, pc rentals, lounge area, bar, restaurant-for snacks only, ..) even Bike Rental! something nice in Amsterdam. The latter was expensive though, compared to other bike rental services in the city, but you had the easiness of renting and returning the bikes right there in the hostel.
The rooms seemed clean, but the sheets not so, with old linens and rough feeling. And the mattress, awful! But again, it's a hostel. Although, I'm not so sure if it's what you pay for since it was from almost the most expensive accommodation we payed for on our tour.
Breakfast - We were disappointed on the schedule, as the first day we missed the included breakfast for being late(10:30) and the second too early (before 8am)

Room Tip: Well, we asked for a double room, we got a dorm for a 4 reserved fully for 2 people only, so.. I gue...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This place was totally worth the money - very affordable, free breakfast, clean rooms, decent location. But there were some really strange people staying here. Also, we had to share our 6 person with 2 strangers which was a little bizarre. But, I guess that's what you can expect from a hostel in Amsterdam.
I felt safe there, staff was nice, great facilities, and decent rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I was a little disappointed for the first time with a Hostelling International hostel. While this one was neat, it wasn't clean. The floors in the dorms and bathroom were dirty. While new arrivals were given fresh sheets in sealed plastic, the comforters were nice and soiled. Luckily, I had my own sleep sheet for extra covering so I was okay without the comforter.

There were a few rules. You were assigned a bed and a locker. (Bring your own lock or purchase one from the hostel.) No using the elevators between the hours of 8:00a and 10:30a in the A building. (Boo, of your room is on the 4th floor.) There were also designated quiet hours. (This I actually liked.)

There were a few perks. There was a wonderful free breakfast of various breads, spreads, meats, fruit cereal, teas, juice, and coffees.  All day bike rentals were available at prices comparable to surrounding shops. The lobby offered free WiFi or you could use their computers for a small fee. The female dorm sinks had large round basins with stoppers.

Tip: If you need to store your luggage before the 2:00p check-in or after you checkout, there are coin-operated lockers available.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo