“And I also stayed here in August 2007”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel My Home

Hotel My Home
New Orleans, LA
“And I also stayed here in August 2007”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

I had always heard about Hotel My Home in Amsterdam, but on several attempts over several visits to the city I always found it to be fully booked, no room at the inn. I am happy to know that I've finally broken out of that cycle and can truly count myself among the fortunate who can call this hostel their home, their Hotel My Home, in Amsterdam.

The staff is super friendly, something I noticed when I first entered. First of all, the desk person called down to me at the bottom of the stairs at the front door to tell me whether or not she had room available (so many other places have you trudge up the stairs carrying heavy baggage and then spend a few minutes checking over their register before telling you they are full.) And once I was upstairs in the reception lounge, the first thing asked, the VERY first thing asked, was would I like a cup of coffee and to sit awhile before we took care of registering. I was bowled over with the casual and friendly welcome. I quickly found out that the staff really treats each guest as though they were personal friends, and each staff member with whom I got into a conversation explored common connections, places we'd both been, common interests, etc. The lounge is simple and cozy with couches, a chair, a TV and stereo; and computer access is available quite cheap. Past guests might have left books, brochures, and other useful things available for future guests who might be short on supply, which I thought was a nice custom. Other parts of the lounge are the dining area and kitchen, and there is a pool table. Reigning as queen over this entire area is The Cat, a very nice addition to the homey atmosphere.

I stayed in room 3, the one with two bunk beds and a single on the floor above the reception lounge. Toilet and shower were nearby, and in the room was a washbasin with mirror and drinking glasses. Towels are provided with bed linen and blankets. In the morning, one of the best breakfasts for English speakers to be found in continental Europe hostels: Fried or scrambled eggs, with or without cheese, all the toast with jam you could want, muesli, peanut butter, coffee and tea and milk.

The location is along a "quietly busy" street with a number of shops, restaurants, bars, food stores, a cinema, and coffeeshops. The hotel is perhaps a ten-minute walk from the train station, if you know the route (use the pedestrian bridge and underpass beyond the Ibis hotel west of the station to get to Haarlemmerstraat.)

The price was right, the atmosphere was welcoming, the staff was friendly, and other guests were cool. I didn't want to leave. When I passed through Amsterdam again six weeks later, I was able to stay again, even on very busy days, welcomed as someone who the staff knew who was coming home for a few days.

• Liked — Friendly welcoming atmosphere
  • Disliked — Common lounge closed at 11:00 PM
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pgtaddress

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
Ballyjamesduff, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2007

I was very happy with Hotel My Home, in a good location, clean, secure, and the staff are very friendly. Nice and cheap, our group would definitely come back.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — The Stairs!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Noumea, New Caledonia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

A neat little place, with the classical steep staircases of Amsterdam.
Very friendly and helpful staff: someone stayed at the reception until 11.30 PM because my friends and I were arriving at that time, and they usually close at 11 PM.
The rooms are very basic but practical: we stayed in a 5-people private room with shared facilities, where we had 2 bunk-beds and one single bed and plenty of furniture to put our clothes, luggage, etc, stools to seat and a wash basin with a mirror. Everything was very clean, including the showers and toilet that are shared.
Breakfast is included, with warm drinks, eggs and cheese, plus toasts with a variety of spreads.
We didn't experience any noise problems, and the area is very nice. It's in the Jordaan areau, with a nice bar/restaurant across the street, good coffee shops and trendy decoration/clothes shops. it's also very close to the train station (10 minutes by foot) and 15 minutes from the Red light district.

• Liked — the staff, the breakfast, the location
  • Disliked — the steep stairs
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jujube81
guildford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2007

Awesome!
can't fault the place or the cost - quality fat cat, scrambled eggs with cheese and free pool till 11pm!
If you stay here, go to
Pink Floyds' coffeeshop down the road. that place is awesome!

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank sammie101
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2004

I stayed at Hotel My Home for 4 nights when I visited Amsterdam last summer while on a backpacking trip across europe with my girlfriend.
This was our first time in Amsterdam and the Hotel My Home crew definately helped make it a great experience. It is located only a few blocks from the main train station which made it easy to find. It's on a relatively quiet street with markets, bakeries and good coffeeshops within a couple blocks. It's close to the downtown touristy shopping area too, which is fun to walk around in after visiting the coffeeshops. Safe and beautiful old neighborhood. I researched a lot of Amsterdam hostels and this seemed one of the most economical and it got good reviews. It definately did not disappoint. The staff was super friendly. The beds were clean and safe. I stayed in a quiet 4 bed room.
Each morning we got complementary delicious breakfast consisting of a fried egg, gouda cheese, toast and coffee. I would recomend this spot for any backpacker looking for a cozy bed, warm shower, and great hospitality with a good location at a reasonable price. Cheers.

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member