Hotel Asterisk 3 star superior
US$163
US$154
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel The Exchange(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$189
Agoda.com
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$171
US$142
Lloyd Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$107
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$153
  • Restaurant
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$258
US$153
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$162
US$131
Volkshotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$114
  • Restaurant
All reviewsheineken experiencequiet streetvan gogh museumwalking distancenarrow stairswell located hotelrooms are bigtram stopminute walkground floorclean roomswould definitely stay here againwonderful hoteltourist attractionscity breakchecking outlocation is great
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 February 2010

very welcoming, pleasant and helpful staff. The room is clean, nice and quiet. . my room was much more than I expected -It's basic but comfortable enough. Ideal if you looking for a place that's away from the traffic and all city noise. Good location residential area, 10 minutes walk from the city centre.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed at the Asterisk with two friends for three nights last April and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located south of the city centre close to the Heineken brewery museum and is a stones throw from the nearest bus and tram stop.
There is now a new annex on Den Texstraat adjacent to the main hotel where my friends were located. I stayed in a single room with a shared toilet on the second floor which is not suitable for elderly or disabled guests due to it's compact nature. In fact, I'm six foot tall and could only just turn around in the loo (a fact which my fellow travellers found hilarious).
The small dining area is on the ground floor and was very busy during breakfast. Staff were friendly although English was a problem occasionally.
For a short stay, The Asterisk is ideal. Better standard hotels are available for a price but with many travelers on a tight budget these days, small neighborhood hotels like this should not be overlooked.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We stayed 4 nights in that hotels and booked it from Internet. They send us to the next house where they have other rooms, but not elevators. You have to carry your 20 Kg luggages on these high stairs (you see your partner feet when you climb, do not forget your alpinism equipment (joke) )

The personnel is friendly and speaks english and french as well, but they always ask you to go to the breakfast (free if you pay cash) but it close at 9.30 which was too early for us. I do not like to wake up early during holidays...

The service is not changing the sheets everyday and they knock at your door at 8.30... not really for romantic trip.

The room was giving to the back of the street and was quiet all nights except the last one because a party was in the garden.

The location is near the Heineken brouwery and not far from the center by tramway.

I cannot recommend it for student as the price was a bit high. I would expect a better service / room for that price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2009

I was in Amsterdam for 3 nights by myself. As a recent college graduate, the price and other peoples reviews were what got me to book at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms and public areas very clean and looked to be quite new. Sharing a bathroom was not an issue, it was always clean and I never ran into anyone. My single room was sort of small, but was not an issue, even with me being 6'6". The hotel has a 2nd group of 8 rooms across the street and half a block down, but the short walk to breakfast was not an issue. Location was great, only a short walk to the museums, and maybe 30 minutes to the city center. I would definitely reccomend this hotel to anyone looking to travel on a budget. It was well worth the 44 euros a night.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank JKNordlie
Reviewed 11 December 2009

This hotel was only one step above a hostel in our estimation and but was priced like a much nicer hotel. No/minimal toiletries. Rooms not consistently cleaned. Breakfast included but not very high quality. We did like the location, near the Cuypmarket, Heinekin Brewery and an easy walk to many locations once you got a feel for the layout of the city.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends