“Good but pricey”

Sara's Boutique Hotel
Ranked #239 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Overall, the hostel was good. Clean linen, towels provided, helpful staff and nice reliable, warm showers. However, there was a lack of common room, and we felt it was slightly overpriced given the location (about 40 minute walk from the train station)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anthony L

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We got there a 10 am and they made us wait until 3 pm to get to our rooms because the were '' cleaning''. Once in the room we found lots of hair in the shower, absolutely revolting. Two days later we found three mice in our room (room 3).So we went to complaint, and the employee found it normal, thank god we could change rooms, but once again they made us wait until 3 pm to get to our new room.The first thing we did is check if there were any mice in that room (luckly there wasn´t). The only good thing about this hotel is that its at good location. But i really do not recomend!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tina G
Reviewed 31 May 2014

first, the good things about the hotel: the location is good. you can take tram 1 from central station and then walk 5 blocks to the hotel. you can also walk very easily to all the tourist sites in the center city. there is a lidl grocery store 2 blocks away which is very cheap. there ares some english tv channels including bbc and cnn. breakfast is from 8-10 and was fine: cols cuts and cheese on bread, cold cereal, milk, juice and coffee. the men at reception were always responsive and helpful and pleasant.
the bad: hotel is in disrepair and i never saw maintenance or cleaning staff. the toilet is in a tiny closet- i can't imagine how a tall or big person could possibly fit in the room. and the toilet seat was broken off completely- too bad if you're a woman!! there was no soap in the liquid soap dispensers in the room, toilet or shower room- bring your own soap and shampoo!! there's no wardrobe, no place to put your suitcase, no in-room safe as advertised- only 3 hooks on the wall, no hangars. no chair or desk in the room- just 2 single beds and a sink. my window was broken as was the handcrank. there was hair on the pillows and trash had not been emptied. there's no daily maid service or change of towel. the rug was filthy, wallpaper peeling, dim lights,thin walls.
the rate was good enough.

2  Thank whomever
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Do NOT BOOK this hotel. They do not accommodate people according to their booking. I was asked to leave the hotel to find something else. They had 3 people to compete for one room! Scammers!!! Horrible experience for me and three other men. Where we could complain? Never use their web-site to book this hotel!

1  Thank 268Karl_2014
Reviewed 29 May 2014

No problems with this place. Clean and quiet and a good location, and good price. The stairs are quite steep to get up and down, but this is common in Amsterdam. I spent my last night in the dorm which I wouldn't recommend because it's right next to the lobby and breakfast area so noisy in the early morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I booked this hotel with a fully refundable deal if cancelled ahead of the time. I cancelled my booking a month prior to the check in. What do I see? Charges on my credit card. More shocking was the amount on my credit card. They charged me the double of the whole stay! No contact to my emails.. I am going to sue them. Do not book this hotel. Pile of scammers.

2  Thank UCertel
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The best thing going for this hotel is the location, right outside the inner canal loop. I was aware and prepared for the steep steps, shared facilities and no lift. The single room I was given on the fifth floor was updated and even roomy by European standards. The bathrooms were clean and the water was hot. When we arrived, however, they were remodeling the lobby, taking out the breakfast room to make more rental rooms. Breakfast was disappointing, and they wanted me to carry a plate with some cookies and a slice of cheese and hot coffee up those 4 flights of very steep stairs to eat in my room, haha. the advertised back patio was closed, and when I went looking for it, the older gentleman at the front desk very rudely told me I was not allowed back there. He was the only rude one though, the younger employees were very awesome and helpful with recommendations and even helped with the bags. It worked for the 2 nights I was there, but just next door was the Jupiter. I'm sure the rooms and situation is very similar, but the owner allowed us to come in and take a look and her property was so much nicer. She had an actual, and very beautiful, breakfast room and patio with gorgeous plants and flowers, and if it wasn't already full, I would have tried to move.

Room Tip: they advertise shared facilities, but really only one person at a time uses the facilities, there is...