Shelter City Hostel Amsterdam
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$307
US$273
US$258
US$205
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$163
  • Bar/Lounge
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$276
US$262
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$130
US$315
US$279
US$323
US$225
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$130
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe red light districtfree breakfasthot breakfastfridge and microwavebed dormsafe place to staycleaned dailylocation is amazingperson roomsleep qualitycentral stationnon smokingreception desknice staybeds were comfortabledam squarechecking out
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Shelter City. We had a 4 bed room to ourselves which was clean, warm and had plenty of storage (ie. 4 large lockers) and contrary to other reviews, we had 2 power outlets too. Showering and toilet facilities were clean and functional too although there was a bit of an overpowering smell of sewage in the corridors! Breakfast was very good too and the cafe had a lovely warm atmosphere to it. There is also a fridge and microwave that guests can use which was handy.
The hostel is very central although we naively did not realise that it is in the middle of the red light district. It is very safe, however, so this didn't matter one bit.
We thought it was excellent value for money and would definitely come back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

So I stayed at this hostel in summer of 2010, it was very clean the staff was friendly... enough, awesome location and weird at the same time. The hostel is right at the edge of the red-light district and a square with lots of coffee shops and cafes. if you have a problem with religion you probably shouldn't stay here

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a christian hostel, not a party hostel which they were very clear about. The place was VERY safe, clean and I found it to be pretty roomy (probably 3 times roomier than the other hostel I stayed at in Amsterdam). Computers were always accessible and the internet worked well. The staff was very friendly. I did end up going out and getting high and drunk but I made sure to straighten out before coming back to the hostel so no one gave me any problems. I had to check out at 4AM and they accommodated me. The location was PHENOMENAL. For the price it was unbeatable ,but dont expect to stay here with a bunch of friends and go out to get wasted at night - I would imagine the staff would intervene. They are clear about what they are at booking though.

Room Tip: I can vouch for the dorm rooms - they were much roomier than other hostel in Amsterdam I stayed in and paid more for.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul P
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Not bad but the dorms have alot of people in them and 13beds was a little much for me.
Shower was ok but not great.
They did give a free breakfast of pancakes every morning which was probably the best thing about staying here.
Good location a short work from the centre

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel. It's a hostel. It serves it's purpose. The location is great and the people are friendly. I only stayed in two rooms: an 8 bed room and a 12 bed from but I have no complaints about either. I was able to sleep confortably in both. I forgot to mention that it is one of, if not, the best prices for a hostel.

Room Tip: The 12 bedroom room I stayed in was off the court yard so it wasn't facing the street. Therefore, there was no street noise. The 8 bedroom room was facing the street so it was a little more noise. It also depends on the people who are staying in the room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo