“Noisy and dirty”

Ranked #217 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Perth, Australia
“Noisy and dirty”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

When we arrived we were under the impression we had our own bathroom - unfortunately it was a shared bathroom and toilet. the toilet was located in a tiny space behind a door with a far amount of loo paper on the floor - you really couldn't move in it. As for the shower, when you opened a door in the hall the shower curtain was right in your face. To have a shower you had to get undressed and dressed in the shower cubicle and hang your clothes on a small hook with your towel and hope they wouldn't get wet!! The rooms were small and very drab and worn really turned up disgusting carpet. We were kept awake all night by the people in the next room smashing their doors closed and stomping around the room. A most unpleasant stay - Never again!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevin_ward63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Hotel is located within the city center and can easily be reached by foot from Centraal Station. A direct bus to Shiphol is located at 150 meters from the hotel. Close to several companies that do canal tours. Also close to the RijksMuseum as well as a Park.
The hotel is in an old building which makes it interesting, and the stairs are so steep, a real experience. Since this is not something that can or should be changed in order to keep the character of the house, I'm not at all complaining about it but you should be warned that the stairs are very steep. And there is no elevator.
What bothered me was the lack of hygiene, the poor quality of the room, old non-matching towels, tine bathroom where you have to sit sideways as you won't fit in, loose electrical sockets, window that couldn't close, generally run down. There doesn't seem to be pride of ownership or a handyman around as with some effort all these issues could easily be addressed.
We did think that breakfast was good and there were sufficient options.
There is internet in the hotel - however, we were not made aware of it so didn't use it.

In all, good location but very little quality with regards to the room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sunseeker1062

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Livingston
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Was not happy with the booking process as we were mucked about and did not get the room we wanted. Staff were fab very friendly and helpful when approached, excellent breakfast but room not cleaned regularly and had to ask for clean towels, room tiny, very hot unable to close window and bed was a torture rack very small had to sleep side ways with legs and feet resting on a chair so there was sufficient space for both of us to fit into what was supposed to be a double. Pillows awful. Good shower. May possibly go back if I was assured of a room with decent space and a good bed as staff and owner very nice. Excellent location very central with good transport links to any where in city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I booked this hotel via Bookings.Com for myself and a friend for a visit to Amsterdam for 2 nights - we just wanted something basic and clean.

Lets start with the positives - modern room, very clean, nice bathroom, good shower, superb location - within walking distance of everything in Amsterdam. As for price, you couldn't beat it in the centre of Amsterdam and the room quality.

Now - my only issue with this hotel was a lady who I assume was the owner. On arrival she shouted out from the office - "tell those Irish boys they are in a double room". Now considering I had specifically requested in my booking that I wanted a twin room I was slightly surprised. I was told by another member of staff that those are only requests and cannot be guaranteed and that I should have emailed them in advance to confirm, despite them having received the booking and indeed having highlighted the request for a twin room - what was the point in emailing too? After some discussion I was met with about shout from the office (this lady clearly liked shouting as customers rather than dealing with them professionally) that if I didn't like it I could go somewhere else and get my money back.

I find it interesting that a lot of the responses to feedback on TripAdvisor that the owner suggests that customers should come and talk to her directly - well, based on my experience I wouldn't bother unless you want to get shouted by a very rude woman.

That said, I'd stay here again and simply ignore the owner as the other staff (particularly the young dutch fella) were great, very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sannat, Malta
Reviewed 12 September 2013

great location and very cheap. the problem is that we only had our rooms done only twice in 7 days. however the owners are very sweet and helpful. cannot complain. the 5 bed room although very tight, it had a shower as well.

Room Tip: good for people who seek to be on bed and breakfast whilst being out all day.