“Really loved it.”
Review of Kooyk Hotel

Kooyk Hotel
Ranked #238 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 August 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for four nights at the end of June, in a fantastic ground floor room - Number 12. It was lovely and big with two chairs and a table, comfy double bed and french doors leading out into the small courtyard garden at the back.

We had stayed in a budget hotel near the Kooyk previously in the year and the Kooyk was cheaper, nearer to the action (it is a fantastic location - although it looks quite far on the map it is only a 20 minute walk from Centraal Station. You don't need to take the tram just have a good map with streetnames on it.) and very welcoming indeed.

The staff were very helpful and kind, particularly the owner. Although he never saw my fellow at breakfast -he's not a morning person! - he kindly let me take a glass of juice into our room for him.

Also because the hotel is non-smoking (as all are now due to changing smoking laws) we enquired whether we could smoke in the garden and they were very accomodating despite the fact it wasn't just tobacco. It was a pleasure to have this private smoking area - coupled with the TV which we had set to comedy central at night!

It's not the Ritz - but seeing as it is a budget hotel it would be foolish to expect otherwise. I thought it was excellent value for money and I am hoping to return again next year.

Thank you all at Kooyk.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 5 August 2008

We stayed in the family suite with 6 single beds. The hostel is really run down and really old, however the male manager there was so helpful and lovely it kind of made up for it.

There are some funny smells around the place, especially in the showers, it smelt a bit like sewage. There were 2 showers upstairs and 1 shower downstairs. There never seemed to be a line for the showers which was quite amazing considering there seemed to be so few.

The breakfast was really nice. It consisted of ham, eggs, cheese, juice, tea, coffee.

Even though this place is really old, the location is fantastic and definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Even though it has been a long time since we stayed (Summer of 2005), it was memorable enough to say that what I do remember is the tightness of everything. I realise Amsterdam mostly only has narrow stairways, but this one took the cake!!

The security was pretty good with the card, the breakfast was okay but in clean surroundings, the bed was okay for the price, the location was a little of track, but lots more to see when you aren't straight in the heart of things.

Would probably not stay here again though.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Dirty, Ugly, Unfriendly - the worst Hotel and the smallest room I have ever been in.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank lisa1973
Reviewed 21 March 2008

After reading some terrible reviews I was worried about staying here but it turned out to be an excellent hotel. My partner and I paid 120 pounds for three nights so it was really really cheap. We were given a room on the ground floor so I don't know about the lethal stairs but I was suprised at how big our room was compared to the other hotels in Amsterdam. It was a sweet room with nice comfy double bed, sink and TV. We had a wardrobe and two comfy armchairs. The toilet was fine, the shower room was just a tiled room with no windos but you only spend 5 minutes in there and it does the job.
The breakfast was great; meat, eggs,cheese, jam, toast, coffee, juice. All the usual stuff. Really pretty breakfast room too.
the rooms were cleaned everyday and new towels were put in everyday too.
The owners and hotel staff were lovely, even borrowing us an adapter for our stay as I'd forgotton ours.
Best of all was the location. Overlooking a canal and 30 seconds from the lively Leidseplein area. I don't know how people can complain about this hotel. Yes it's not 5 star but it's really cheap. If you are looking for a cosy B&B which is clean and friendly then this is a great option.
Sometimes I think people just complain about the smallest things and they are always the people who pay hardly any money and expect the Ritz. I haven't got my photos to upload now but I purposefully took some of the room to put on here as I couldn't believe what a great deal we got.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2008

As most people would have done, me and my four friends opted for this establishment because of the cheapness of the rooms to help save pennies for expensive Amsterdam.
My first impression was that the hotel looked the type of place that would be owned by a stuffy pensioner who would want everyone in their beds by 11pm - however we were greeted by the very friendly and genunine woman at reception (probably the owner). She had a good sense of humour, pointed out some Amsterdam sights on the map and knew that we would be out until the wee small hours!
After hiking up the EXTREMLEY narrow and steep staircase we found some very oddly decorated, but very spacious rooms. The place looks like somehting that wouldn't look out of place in a horror movie but for some where cheap to put down your head - it does the job.
I can't comment on the food because I didn't get up early enough to sample the breakfast.
The only grumbles that I would have is that it's quite a long way from the main areas of Amsterdam if you plan to walk everywhere and having to leave your room for the loo or shower can be a bit of a pain in the backside.
However it's ideal for the money. A friendly man even happily cleaned up my friend's sick in the middle of the night after he vomited outside the front entrance of the hotel after a heavy session - that's service for you!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2008

This place was ridickerous!!! (as in AWESOME)

First, to even enter the place, you need the magic password to bypass the office lady. But once payment was completed, she informed us of our freaking awesome luxury 6-bedroom apartment, which was awesome. She took us up stair cases imported from mount everest (if you're more than 19 stones, stay off the stairs and probably the floor).

Before going on your voyage, you MUST makes sure to take a douche and only pack one pair of clothes because you won't have time to douche or change. Also, the schitter's all backwards, son!!!!
If you're confused by this point, you should make a booking now, and experience it for yourself.

Freakin' Awesome!!!