“A Kooky Perspective”

Ranked #215 of 369 Hotels in Amsterdam
WNC
“A Kooky Perspective”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Simply put------the Kooyk Hotel is a VERY challenging place to review.
On one hand, it offers up a totally-serviceable/adequately-clean/well-located/lower-budget stay IN Amsterdam--------On the other hand, organizational and hospitality shortcomings are unfortunate burdens which seem to get in the way;
I was initially a bit put off by a delayed final confirmation of my reservation--even after a series of follow-up calls----Seems that only the owner could firmly acknowledge reservations. Upon our early arrival, we were (understandably) told that the room wasn't as yet available----luggage storage was offered with a rather terse mention of the fact that they're not responsible for the belongings. Now, I know this is a standard (hotel liability) condition---it was the condescending tone of the mention that was notable-----a tone that seemed oddly to recur.
Our late afternoon formal check in (by an older gentleman night clerk) felt like being booked at the local Police Precinct. An immediate cash payment for our full 4 night booking was demanded----We were more than willing to pay for a 2nd night, along with the one night deposit that had already been processed--with the full balance to be paid the next day! ---- But his acceptance of this reasonable arrangement came only after a prolonged period of badgering.
During this gentleman's check in spiel----a clear mention was made of the inclusive breakfast, and it's serving times. The next morning, while having our (very decent, by the way) "included breakfast", the owner abruptly approached our table, notifying us that this breakfast was NOT included, due to having negotiated a very low price on the room (which I do/did acknowledge). Now, I will stop here by mentioning that, as she indicated, there was a small note of this on the e-mail confirmation which I belatedly received after my travels had begun---i.e. hadn't an opportunity to make note of it. But, the fact that the breakfast was clearly offered as inclusive at check in would seem to override, or at least confuse the conditions.
Bottom line is that I had no problem in acknowledging that it was an obvious misunderstanding---the issue is that the owner exercised no etiquette at all in loudly announcing that we would be charged 7.50 Euro each for (our almost finished by then) breakfast. After a bit more conversation and calm assertions (on my part)-----She did return to graciously/appropriately offer THIS breakfast at no cost.
The owner does seem to have a genuine desire to provide a decent accommodation at a fair price----I believe the hospitality etiquette issues could be easily overcome.

After all this is said ---- and albeit being somewhat "kooky" --- would have to admit that the Kooyk does have a lot going for it ---- We got a no frills/comfortable & clean enough/low cost room WITH A DIRECT CANAL VIEW! Walkably-convenient to everything Amsterdam has to offer. Very Close to transit lines if you're tired or lazy.
And, believe it or not, I would/will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank VagaBob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights.. I booked double room with separate beds but I got double bed in very small room without wardrobe. Horrible Wi-Fi connection, we had separate private bathroom - it was clean and nice, but room wasn't so clean..
Really good location in city centre where you can find everything. Nothing to eat in breakfast time, well I can eat sandwiches but not every day with the same sort of ham and cheese.. No fruits, just simple black tea and black coffee, home made butter, 2 sort of bread, tomato..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lina K
kooyk, Eigenaar at Kooyk Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
dear sir/madam,
thank you for your review.
I would seriously worry if I was to stay 6 nights in a hotel, free breakfast included, and that the hotel was not to your satisifciation.Why did you not come and see me during your stay? Surely we could have recitified your problem... I cannot accept that the room was not clean, I superivse the rooms myself.I happen to have two cleaners who take pride in their work. I can only apologise if it was not to standard as you had one of our newly decorated rooms with a private bathroom for your own use beside the room. These rooms are very nice indeed. . You could have come and we would have gladly given you a refund but again, no comunication.It is so very easy to say these things when you have said thank you and left our establishment.I would like to point out a few facts.
This hotel was newly decorated, and was totally refurbished. I fail to see your point.
You chose the shared bathroom option, you could have also booked a private ensuite room. but you did not.
As for your review of my breakfast, you have here one of the best breakfasts in amsterdam including all fruits eggs coffee with milk and juices, included in your rate, who to please you?? the answer impossible.

I will totally stand behind my product.Value of which you will not recieve here anywhere else on this street, The other hotels have ex breakfast rate, and prices are at least 25% more than mine..

I wish you good luck with your future research to accomodation, This is very dissapointing after all our good work.

With kind regards
MF Moonen
Owner.

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 April 2014

basemt room , no wifi at all only avaible if you sit in reception, brison bed ( I am not joking) , 1 tiny old towel , the breakfast has to be sen to be believed, 1 tiny piece of ham and cheese and 4 cheap slices of bread , only good point great location, DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Brighton
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Me and my Girlfriend went to this hotel for a few nights and it was just what we wanted! It's a family run hotel and they are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was a buffet, all you can eat so suited me just great (I love eating!). The room and bathroom was very clean and modern, the "superior double". The only things that weren't that great were that our double bed was two singles pushed together (plus two single duvets) and we couldn't get a decent wireless connection from our room so had to go into the breakfast area for reception. We had everything we needed! We'd definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Maybe try asking for an actual double bed if they have one???
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I booked here before reading the reviews on here and we were frightened as to what "horrors" we would find so I rang for some reassurance. A lovely lady (Mary) answered and reassured me that the reviews were out of date and that it's a lovely hotel. When we arrived a jovial man (Pierre) helped us to our room which was all newly refubed with a beautiful on suite. The rest of the staff were eager to help anyone who needed it. Would definitely recommend this hotel & defo going back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This hotel is situated right by a canal in the heart of the city. It is a 10 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum and the Concert Gebouw, as well as the largest park in Amsterdam. It is also convenient to many shops, restaurants, the canals and other sights and museums. Also, the tram runs on the main street about 5 minutes away and you can get to Centraal Station and anything in the centre of the city in about 15 minutes. We booked our room online a few days in advance and it went through and was paid for before we arrived. The hotel as a whole was very clean and the room itself was large and clean with a TV, and a nice large bathroom and shower. It had big windows facing the front for a great view of the canal. The bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and we spent time having an enjoyable chat with the owner and her son as well as the staff. Also we were happy that breakfast was included. Our only concerns would be that, although the food was delicious, it was limited to basically bread or toast with different types of sliced meats and cheese, or peanut butter and jam. We would have liked to have seen a wider variety; say, cereal, oatmeal etc. Also, although we had asked for a double bed as a married couple, we instead got two single beds pushed together which, while comfortable, was not the most ideal for us. All in all, though, a great hotel and we would definitely stay there again when we return to Amsterdam, which we intend to do some day.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front facing a main canal and the hotel is near other hotels and a club/theatre...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Mary and Pierre are lovely people. Its a pretty basic hotel but its very clean, beds are really comfy, people have respect for others here. Its small, cozy, and Mary and pierre's staff are fantastic. Love em all and I'll be returning for many years to come.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends