“Extremely disappointed in the way I was treated”
Review of Kooyk Hotel

Kooyk Hotel
Ranked #217 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Calgary, Alberta Canada
“Extremely disappointed in the way I was treated”
Reviewed 9 November 2004

I thought I'd post a review to inform tourists to be wary when booking their accomodations while abroad based on my own unpleasant costly experience while in Amsterdam. Although my experience is not at all reflective at all of Hotels in Amsterdam, this is written to advise fellow travellers/tourists to plan extensively and with caution.

I don't have the good to excellant experiences reported by other's who stayed at the Kooyk Hotel. Unfortunately, due to an imminent European Union rail strike in October 2004, I was forced to cancel my reservations at the Kooyk Hotel. Cancelling those hotel reservations proved to be a very unpleasant costly experience, made worse by an extremely hostile hotel keeper! I was not given an opportunity to explain my situation because I was advised "I'm sick of you people who book over the internet and change your mind at the last minute". I was further advised that I would be charged 100 % at full room rates for the 4 nights I booked, plus a cancellation fee because I was not able to give the whole weeks notice. I attempted to negotiate, compromise, and had a valid excuse, however was strictly informed to "read" the terms and conditions.

Fortunately, I was able to book a room at another Hotel on very short notice and was treated royally!

6 Thank niheyiwe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 October 2004

I had the worst experience of my life at this hotel. Me and my mom were going to stay at this hotel in August 2003. Even though I had a confirmation of booking by email (which I still keep to show anyone interested), on our arrival to the hotel, the lady at the desk told us that there was no booking, which latter was understood that they did not know how to use their computers so they did not put the booking into their notebooks and basically forgot about it. This was the busiest time of Amsterdam, where there was even nowhere to walk. I mentioned to the hotel owner's wife that they have to give me a room since I have the booking confirmation and there is no possibility that I can find another hotel at that point. Even though, it was their own fault, this unpleasent hotel owner had the courage to throw out my and my mom's luggage! I have travelled a lot and have not seen any person in my life who is so shrew. It is a place that definetly should be avoided.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels