“Threadbare but Friendly” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #223 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago, IL
“Threadbare but Friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2004

I stayed at the Kooyk during a one-night layover in Amsterdam in December 2004 (there's no bad time to go to Amsterdam--the weather was mild and there were fewer other tourists to contend with). The pluses of this family-run hotel: A fantastic location just steps off the Leidseplein and easily accessible by tram from Central Station; very friendly reception by the owner; clean room with crisp white sheets on the bed; nice breakfast in a cheery breakfast room; low price in a town where hotel costs can be excessive. The minuses: My room was furnished with odds and ends, looked out on a gloomy air shaft, and had an overall threadbare appearance; paper-thin walls between rooms; no hot water in the room sink in the morning. In short, although the room might be a bit depressing if you were in town for a week or more, it was fine for a night or two, and the superb location and friendliness of the management go a long way to make up for the shortcomings.

4 Thank JerryinChicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Alberta Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2004

I thought I'd post a review to inform tourists to be wary when booking their accomodations while abroad based on my own unpleasant costly experience while in Amsterdam. Although my experience is not at all reflective at all of Hotels in Amsterdam, this is written to advise fellow travellers/tourists to plan extensively and with caution.

I don't have the good to excellant experiences reported by other's who stayed at the Kooyk Hotel. Unfortunately, due to an imminent European Union rail strike in October 2004, I was forced to cancel my reservations at the Kooyk Hotel. Cancelling those hotel reservations proved to be a very unpleasant costly experience, made worse by an extremely hostile hotel keeper! I was not given an opportunity to explain my situation because I was advised "I'm sick of you people who book over the internet and change your mind at the last minute". I was further advised that I would be charged 100 % at full room rates for the 4 nights I booked, plus a cancellation fee because I was not able to give the whole weeks notice. I attempted to negotiate, compromise, and had a valid excuse, however was strictly informed to "read" the terms and conditions.

Fortunately, I was able to book a room at another Hotel on very short notice and was treated royally!

6 Thank niheyiwe

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2004

I had the worst experience of my life at this hotel. Me and my mom were going to stay at this hotel in August 2003. Even though I had a confirmation of booking by email (which I still keep to show anyone interested), on our arrival to the hotel, the lady at the desk told us that there was no booking, which latter was understood that they did not know how to use their computers so they did not put the booking into their notebooks and basically forgot about it. This was the busiest time of Amsterdam, where there was even nowhere to walk. I mentioned to the hotel owner's wife that they have to give me a room since I have the booking confirmation and there is no possibility that I can find another hotel at that point. Even though, it was their own fault, this unpleasent hotel owner had the courage to throw out my and my mom's luggage! I have travelled a lot and have not seen any person in my life who is so shrew. It is a place that definetly should be avoided.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member