“Previous reviews of Owner's temper scared me off!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Kooyk Hotel

Kooyk Hotel
Ranked #222 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Previous reviews of Owner's temper scared me off!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2005

I must admit that I have not stayed in this hotel, but I had reserved a single room in this hotel for 6 nights in September of 2005 based upon the general description of the hotel given on the various hotel booking websites.

However, upon reading some of the reviews from this website that described the Owner's overly tempermental reactions to apparently justifiable complaints (reviews from Nov. 9 2004, especially Oct. 25 2004, and March 4 2003) I decided that I did not want to try my luck with such a hotelier, and booked the same 6 nights for 20 euros less with Hotel Abba instead, whose numerous positive reviews on this website tipped the balance of chance in favour of a better overall experience. (Someone needs to tell this guy that he's being reviewed and it's not all good!)

I have been to Amsterdam many times. Travellers from the States (I'm American by the way, living in the UK) should understand that in general, these budget hotels are situated in very old (hundreds of years in many cases) buildings and that the general architecture of these row houses is vertical (very vertigo staircases) with extremely small (by modern standards) rooms! They do what they can with what they've got. So please don't have culture shock in this regard. If you're coming to Old World Europe, there's bound to be Old World character!

However, rudeness by current Owners, saggy beds, and general uncleanliness is avoidable, and I choose to avoid these types of confrontations. I'm sure the breakfast is lovely, but if something goes wrong, I wouldn't want to have to approach an indignant and tempermental Owner, no matter how little I'm paying for the room!

I think this type of review process is very helpful.

Stayed June 2005
7 Thank cmv56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2005

Amsterdam is a lovely city with many, many hotels. I would advise that you find somewhere else to stay than the Kooyk Hotel. The service and accomodations were sub par, and certainly below the standards of most decent youth hostels in Europe. Decidingly NOT worth the €70 price.

Reservations: Our confirmed canal view room was unavailable at check in due to "flooding" and a ground floor garden room substituted. We were also told that there was a 5% surcharge for using a credit card--information not revealed when making the initial reservation.

Room: The room was spartan and dingy, with a strong odor of cleanser attempting to cover the pervasive smell of mildew. The sink didn't drain properly, and the other bathroom facilities did not fare much better. Although the room seemed superficially clean, I remained unconvinced that it was actually clean. Security was also somewhat sketchy.

Experience: Our room was very noisy, despite the hotel's location on a quiet canal. Other guests caused disruptions throughout the night, which were not addressed by the absent hotel staff. We avoided our hotel as much as possible, and would have moved to another hotel if it wouldn't have involved forfeiting the entire €70 price.

Just not worth the hassle and pain. Spending an extra €10-20 gets you a far nicer place--it'll be worth it.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank CT2DC

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2005

I have just returned from The Kooyk hotel, Amsterdam after spending the weekend there. It was part of my travel A- level course to book a group trip. There were 15 of us in total. The owner was very helpful and emailed us with details of how to get to the Hotel and great places to eat that evening. We managed to book a nice italian restaurant in advance for the fri night called 'Fantasia Pizzeria' REALLY close to the hotel.
The rooms were ok, but what can you expect from a budget hotel?!!! We had clean sheets, hot and cold water in rooms and they provided us with towels. Fortunatly we did not discover any bed bugs ear wigs or other insects of that sort as written in previous reviews! However we were shocked on arrival to find a mouse trapped in a bin in the corridor, but that was the ONLY one we saw. The toilets were all in working order and the showers were fine.
The loction could not have been better! Just a 3 minute walk from Leidspleine, where there are loads of shops, bars and cafes etc. Our room had a great veiw of the canal.
Breakfast was good, however the toast was cold! There was plenty of choice though. I would DEFFINATELY reccomend this hotel for travellers on a budget. We had an amazing weekend and i would not change anything. the hotel was better than i thought

Stayed April 2005
7 Thank Katie312741
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2005

The Kooyk Hotel is a Budget 1 Star Hotel but don't expect 4 star, It is a clean and very nice hotel run by Pierre and Family who always give a welcome to die for, they really make you welcome. I have always felt at home here and it is perfect for getting around Amsterdam and all it has to offer. I was at the Kooyk in September with 15 friends and we had a great time. This hotel is always full because it is such good value for money. People expect to much some times from a 1 star hotel. Food is excellent, as well believe me i know because i eat loads and there is always plenty of great food on offer at breakfast. I said earlier that the staff make you welcome well you can ask Pierre and his staff for anything and they will do there upmost to oblige, they will even take your passports and valuables and put them in there safe for you. So if you have had bad times at hotels around Amsterdam give the Kooyk a chance. It is in a great area and you won,t be dissapointed. But if you are unhappy go to Pierre there is nothing he can,t sort out and always has a ear for suggestions. All i would ask is if you are going to post information on here please be fair just remember that Amsterdam is an old city with loads of history and some of it's buildings are old. Yes they may smell different to what you are used to but that does not make them dirty or even damp which the Kooyk is not. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2004
3 Thank brynrob52
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2004

I stayed at the Kooyk during a one-night layover in Amsterdam in December 2004 (there's no bad time to go to Amsterdam--the weather was mild and there were fewer other tourists to contend with). The pluses of this family-run hotel: A fantastic location just steps off the Leidseplein and easily accessible by tram from Central Station; very friendly reception by the owner; clean room with crisp white sheets on the bed; nice breakfast in a cheery breakfast room; low price in a town where hotel costs can be excessive. The minuses: My room was furnished with odds and ends, looked out on a gloomy air shaft, and had an overall threadbare appearance; paper-thin walls between rooms; no hot water in the room sink in the morning. In short, although the room might be a bit depressing if you were in town for a week or more, it was fine for a night or two, and the superb location and friendliness of the management go a long way to make up for the shortcomings.

4 Thank JerryinChicago
Calgary, Alberta Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2004

I thought I'd post a review to inform tourists to be wary when booking their accomodations while abroad based on my own unpleasant costly experience while in Amsterdam. Although my experience is not at all reflective at all of Hotels in Amsterdam, this is written to advise fellow travellers/tourists to plan extensively and with caution.

I don't have the good to excellant experiences reported by other's who stayed at the Kooyk Hotel. Unfortunately, due to an imminent European Union rail strike in October 2004, I was forced to cancel my reservations at the Kooyk Hotel. Cancelling those hotel reservations proved to be a very unpleasant costly experience, made worse by an extremely hostile hotel keeper! I was not given an opportunity to explain my situation because I was advised "I'm sick of you people who book over the internet and change your mind at the last minute". I was further advised that I would be charged 100 % at full room rates for the 4 nights I booked, plus a cancellation fee because I was not able to give the whole weeks notice. I attempted to negotiate, compromise, and had a valid excuse, however was strictly informed to "read" the terms and conditions.

Fortunately, I was able to book a room at another Hotel on very short notice and was treated royally!

6 Thank niheyiwe
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2004

I had the worst experience of my life at this hotel. Me and my mom were going to stay at this hotel in August 2003. Even though I had a confirmation of booking by email (which I still keep to show anyone interested), on our arrival to the hotel, the lady at the desk told us that there was no booking, which latter was understood that they did not know how to use their computers so they did not put the booking into their notebooks and basically forgot about it. This was the busiest time of Amsterdam, where there was even nowhere to walk. I mentioned to the hotel owner's wife that they have to give me a room since I have the booking confirmation and there is no possibility that I can find another hotel at that point. Even though, it was their own fault, this unpleasent hotel owner had the courage to throw out my and my mom's luggage! I have travelled a lot and have not seen any person in my life who is so shrew. It is a place that definetly should be avoided.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member