“Fab location, friendly staff, clean!!”
Review of Hotel Iron Horse

Hotel Iron Horse
Ranked #27 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights, we couldn't believe how great the location was! Just a five min walk from leidsplein and 15 mins to Dam square (although it doesn't feel as long due to all the shops that are scattered along the way). So location is brill. The rooms are clean and the bathroom was modern. The beds did let the hotel down - it was twin beds as opposed to a double which was annoying as I fell down the middle a couple of times; also - request a 2/3rd floor room - the ground floor was very noisy!!!! But we didn't mind as it was just for the few nights - otherwise I would have asked to change. Reception staff are super friendly and we got almost all directions from them! Transport is easy to use and they also have a wide knowledge of that. The free coffee machine is a great idea and we made much use of it! Overall fab stay! (Quick note: the supermarket next to the hotel only accepts card which seems strange to me, be warned to avoid embarrassment)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kayz213

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at Iron Horse in January. The place was lovely: quite, warm, very clean, close to the centre with friendly and relaxed pesonel. Special thanx to girl at receprion Ausra ( hope I spell it right). She helped us a lot with advise where to dine and was really patient and friendly! Free coffee and tea in the room and reception is a great extra in the winter :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Good things first: Excellent location just around the corner for Leidseplein. Free coffee and tea in the reception. Kettle with tea bags in the room. The room was very quiet, as requested.

Not so good: The far from romantic bed configuration; the beds were placed after another with a wall between. This configuration would probably suit two friends better than a couple. The corridor outside our room was used for storage (might be temporary).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JohnLackland01
Reviewed 14 February 2014

So had this hotel booked way in advance from when we were going....booked through Booking.com (who will also be getting a review written). I got an email advising my booking had been cancelled..so called up booking.com..all they did was call through to the hotel who said they were to busy to to deal with it.. booking.com advise i try call hotel direct myself...which I did and was also told they were to busy..and that i was to send an email to them to remind them. Which I did. So next day I call booking.com 3 time..each time saying they have called the hotel..again they are to busy. I called the hotel myself pleading with them to try look at my booking as wanted to get my plans sorted and also because i didnt want to miss out. Nope they were still to busy saying they had customers coming in and out all day...I did mention that i was a customer but this didnt seem to matter. Any way...i ended up leaving it in the end and booked a lovely hotel (Art Hotel Dulac) :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jabsyb
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was an excellent hotel! I would definitely recommend it and would stay here again.

Things I liked:

ROOM
-very clean
-everything was new, crisp, uncluttered, modern
-bright, light, and huge!
-very warm and comfortable, despite other reviews claiming cold

LOCATION
-location is on a major street that is easy to find
-located in the Leidspleine area (popular and well known shopping), 5 minute walk to museums and Vondelpark, 15 minute walk to Dam Square (go through all the shops and sights to get there!)
-it was close enough to walk everywhere (yet glad not to be in the midst of busy Dam Square!)
-supermarket is next door for fresh juices and other quick items
-many tram lines stop out front

STAFF
-staff was very kind, friendly, welcoming and SUPER helpful with directions and anything else you might need
-helped me carry down my heavy luggage, gave out maps, held luggage, called museums for me, changed reservations for me!

OTHER
-complimentary teas and coffees in lobby

Room Tip: Our room faced Overtoom and was bright and had a great view of the main street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed one night in this hotel. We arrived at 10 pm, there was no electricity, they asked us to pay in cash because of a problem with their computer. Then we went in the room, it was very cold because of the electricity problem. The soap was empty.
And the heating wasn't working.

Then at 6.30 am water felt from the roof near our bed, so it has awakened us.

We asked for a gesture of goodwill, but the receptionist told us she couldn't do anything, because this is how they work. We were very shocked because, we were pretty sure that she knew that there was a problem in this room.
Then we let our luggage during the day.
When we came back before taking our train at 6pm, we tried again to have a commercial gesture with another receptionist. And when we were waiting, 3 couples were asking to change their rooms due to problems they faced the last night.

Finally we succeeded to have a reduction, they transferred us 25 euros.

So we are honest we describe what happened. But they weren't friendly at all, and we heard the receptionist telling to a man working for the motel "I thought the leak problem on the roof was over". So it wasn't new, and they knew that.

Just don't go to this hotel !!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clement c
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights, the rooms were clean, comfortable and very affordable. The hotel is in a better location than I had expected we must have walked miles exploring the city. Over all a great place and would recommend for a cheap comfortable stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple