“A memorial place”

US$35.90*
Amsterdam: Canal Cruise and Jewish Cultural Quarter Tickets
Ranked #122 of 532 things to do in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Before I bought my ticket I was told that this is not a museum but a memorial place, with just a small exhibition.
The former theatre had been converted into a prison for thousands of Jews, who have been jammed together in the courtyard, waiting for their deportation to a concentration camp.
There is a wall with the names of those people...
A man told me that there are people from all over the world who visit this memorial site because they have lost a family member or friend during that time.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Old theatre building set on a main square. The best thing about this place is the tourist information and the last minute tickets. Go there and see tickets reduced by 50% for that evening. Just take a lucky dip and enjoy a discounted evening.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I can't believe this place is called a museum. It was once a magnificent theatre until it was demolished in the 1960's for what? For the sake of names on a wall and an ugly black stone?The exhibition was down right infantile and it was in Dutch. Not worth a cent!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I went here with bigger expectations than I should have but it was still worth a visit. There isn't too much to see. The thing that made it a good visit for me was the film I got to watch at the end. They also have an interactive name list. You hold a device that looks like a camera over a name on the wall and it will give you some history the family with that name. I also got to see the court yard with the original walls from the theater and the memorial in the yard. Again, it was the film that did it for me and the significance of the building and the history behind it. I was glad I visited it. I only gave it three stars because there is not a lot to see.

1  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 27 October 2013

There was one display room with artifacts, photos ect All displays were not followed with a description so grab the note card outside the door to get the details on what you are looking at. The courtyard has some of what seems to be the original structure still intact