“Very impressive for the price”

MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West
Ranked #116 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Very impressive for the price”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

A colleague booked this hotel for our overnight business trip but when I heard how much they paid (33 Euros from memory), I assumed the worst. However I was pleasantly surprised...the room was small but clean.
The most impressive part was the excellent bathroom (well, shower room), which looked brand new and something out a 4*.

Located right next to the train station, it is only 15 mins to Schiphol airport and not far from Amsterdam Central.

In the bar area, left in a bowl, you can obtain free Wifi access codes that give you a few days access (take one per device) - a great value add for a hotel of this price.

Although the snacks are limited, the reception staff recommended a local takeaway and arranged delivery.

The breakfast was great, with plenty of choices from cereal to yoghurt...to cheese...plenty of coffee on tap as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Very clean, haven't seen any bed bugs; quite helpful staff. Hotel is about 30mins away from Schiphol airport by bus, and about 15-20mins on the train. Its a big hotel with lots of rooms and dorms - both mixed and female. Free wi-fi and a lovely cafe.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank julie m
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my friends and group of students for three nights. The rooms were not luxurious but the breakfast was great. The staff was very helpful, I'd love to stay in other hotels of this chain.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We arrive in Schipol Airport at 8AM and take the train to Sloterdijk from that station is only 2minute walking distance, very convenience and easy. We have to wait to check in until 3pm and it was very tired since we have travel from London early in the morning. For visitor that choice this hotel make sure you arrive here almost 3pm or later as their check in time is late. Our booking is for triple room but granted quad room, more space. They have left baggage facility is convenience for those have big bag. From this hotel you can take bus or train to Amsterdam Central is only 5 minute by train to Amsterdam Central.
The breakfast that serve is value for money cost us Euro 5.90 per-person all you can eat, is buffet breakfast. Room is very clean and spaces for the price that we pay is excellent. Highly recomended to budget traveler to Amsterdam.
Wifi is Free in this hotel and strong signal in every room no problem.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ahmatnajah
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed here with my hubby n 2 kids in summer 2013....
The hotel was easy to find from the Sloterdijk Station....
Lobby was clean...lots of tourist info card around....Kitchen/bfast area looks new n clean....
Room was great...clean...not much rooms for 4 ppl with 3 big lugages...but other than that..everything was super great.
We stayed there 3 nites and no complains at all......
Will definitely stay here next time we're in Amsterdam

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The hostel is modern, not very far from Centraal Station. The breakfast is great and the receptionists are quite nice. But I have to warn you: I got BEDBUGS, small insects that were hidden in my pillow and my bed.
During only one night, I got more than 25 bedbugs bites all over my face, my neck, my hands, even one on my foot. I smashed 2 of them, full of blood :(
I think it is not the first time they had complaints cause of the reaction of the staff when I asked to change my bed.
Despite all this, it is still a good hostel. I hope they will fix this quickly.

Room Tip: Not on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sonia d
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Location may not be central, but it's close enough to the centre (5-20 minutes, depending on where you're going and what mode of transportation you take) that it's not a problem. The hotel is right next to Sloterdijk station - you can get off the train and see the sign through the glass, and when you're outside you just turn right, walk down the steps and there it is - and therefore you have good access to trains, trams and buses.

Rooms are fantastic, with spotless, comfortable beds in the dorm rooms that come with their own reading light and plug. Lockers are available, though if you're shorter you will struggle to reach the upper ones, and if you have your own lock you can easily lock away a backpack or a very small suitcase. There are also hooks and hangers for jackets, a small table, and a TV. The girls' dorm has an ensuite toilet and shower, both of which are again spotlessly clean, and the shower (separate from the toilet) has hooks and a towel bar. The mirror and sink are in the room, between the ensuites, and a hairdryer, plug, and liquid soap are available. At this time of year, the hotel isn't as busy, and in my six-bed female dorm there have been varying numbers of guests - though on the first night there were six of us, last night there were two, and tonight it looks like it will just be me!

Facilities are in general quite nice; though there is only one washer and one dryer for the whole building, they are free to use, as is the kitchen, which comes with microwave, kettle, stove, dishes and a fridge for food storage. The lounge/bar area is full of tables, so lots of space to eat. Elevators are fast, large and new. Staff will print any documents you need for free at the reception desk.

I can't commend the staff more at this moment - the staff at reception are friendly, efficient and eager to help, and are always available to answer any questions. One of them noticed that I was unwell earlier (i.e. about to pass out) and three of the staff members quickly came to where I was sitting with my head between my knees, asked me what was wrong, and helped me recover from what turned out to be hypoglycemia (I hadn't eaten much because I had been curled up with cramps for most of the day from that time of the month, and I had been in fact on my way to the kitchen because I knew I needed food). They quickly brought me some juice, an apple, and some dextrose tablets, and within ten minutes I was feeling much better. They also offered to help me back up to my room, but once I had recovered I was able to return on my own. I am incredibly grateful for the attentiveness and kindness of the staff at reception, and I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough, particularly for people like me who are travelling alone!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo