“Youth hotel, acceptable locatiob”

MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West
Ranked #119 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bucharest, Romania
“Youth hotel, acceptable locatiob”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is a youth hotel; if you are over 30, you will feel a little awkward, being surrended by hundreds of kids, adolescents and very young adults.
Anyway, even this was strange for us in the begining, this hotel offers clean, convenient sized rooms with clean and well equipped bathrooms. The location is convenient, about 10 minutes by train to Central Station and about 20 minutes to Shippol Airport. Overall, I liked it.

• Stayed May 2014
Meininger H, General Manager at MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you very much for your comments, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again at the Meininger Hotel in Amsterdam!
Your Meininger Team Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Meininger Hotel Amsterdam City West during a short stay in Amsterdam for King's Day. As it was King's Day the price was higher than normal but still pretty cheap. We were a party of five with two rooms.

Location:
We got the Megabus and had to get a tram and train to the hotel but from Amsterdam Central it is one stop which took about 7 minutes and from Amsterdam Sloterdijk station the hotel is about a 2 minute walk which is perfect. You can't miss the hotel as soon as you walk out of the station you can see the hotel sign on your right. Amsterdam Sloterdijk station also has trams that will take you to Amsterdam Central, Museumplein and many other places around Amsterdam.

Rooms:
We had two rooms and although we requested two rooms next to each other with our booking agent we arrived at the hotel to find we had rooms two floors apart, as it was King's Day weekend I can only assume the hotel was pretty much fully booked but the staff were so helpful and very friendly they gave us rooms on the same floor and only three rooms apart which we were very happy about! One room had two single beds and a bunk bed the other room had two single beds and a I believe a shelf like bed.

The room with the single beds and bunk bed had a separate shower and toilet with a open plan sink in the middle of the two meaning you had to brush your teeth in front of everyone but on the plus side if you're in the shower someone else can use the bathroom. There was shower gel and hand wash provided. The other room had a full bathroom with sink and shower in one. Each bun bed had its own socket and light so you wouldn't keep others awake. Both rooms came with a TV where you could watch BBC news and some other okay channels. The room was spotless and I could easily say it was as clean as some 5* hotels I have stayed in. The maid came both days of our stay and did the basics of making the bed, changing the bins and giving us new towels/tissue.

Storage:
We decided to keep our luggage in storage on the day of arrival and the day we left as check in isn't until 3pm and we checked out at 10am but had 11 hours till our coach home. To access the storage room they give you a key which you then have to give back once you're done, they also give you a little card as proof you have something in the storage room which you then swap for the key when you want to get your items back out. Both times we made sure we locked our cases with padlocks (you can buy them in the vending machine if you forget to bring some). Nothing got stolen, or even moved an inch.

Other information:
It cost about €30 for a taxi from Amsterdam Central to the hotel at night, they work on a meter like black taxis in London.
You can get a tram/bus/metro pass from reception for €17 for 3 days which helps you get around.
There is a vending machine by reception that has many essentials that you may need. From padlocks to deodorant.
We didn't eat at breakfast or anything else so we can not comment on food, but I ordered a vodka from the bar where I was charged more than the price stated on the menu until I brought it up and the price was then changed and the service was very slow, like the barman thought I was standing there to hang out not to order.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and can't wait to go back to Amsterdam and I'd 100% stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Meininger H, Front Office Manager at MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for taking out the time to write your review. We are very happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcoming you here again in the future!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here in May as part of a 16 man group on a visit to play in The Amsterdam Open football tournament. Only a 15 min train ride from Schiphol Airport to Sloterdijk Train Station and the hotel is a further five min walk from there. Friendly staff welcomed us and went through the check-in procedure quickly with minumum fuss. Unfortunately only one of our four rooms was ready but we were happy to relax in the bar area as the other rooms/dorms were prepared.

Once in the rooms it was a mixture of single beds and bunk beds, but they were comfortable enough for our requirements. The toilet, wash-up area and the shower room were all modern and most importantly clean.

We had pre-booked breakfast and there was a good amount fruit, cheese, meats, breads, juices etc on offer.

The hotel isn't too far from Central Amsterdam, only a ten minute ride from Sloterdijk Train Station. It was approx 20 euros for a taxi if you returned after the trains stopped at 1am.

All in all the hotel is in a good location, the staff are excellent, rooms are comfortable enough as long as your not expecting too much. The hotel seems to be geared towards larger groups, and bus tours etc, and it was adequate for our needs. I would have no problem recommending it to other travellers

Room Tip: If you like your sleep, ask for a room on a higher level, as the bar area can get quite noisy, espec...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review! We are a combination of a hotel and hostel so have a big variety of guests and facilities.

Thank you for recommending us, we hope to welcome you at Meininger again in the future!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I like the concept of this hotel, but I won't be back. Everything is straightforward and you pay for what you use-like 10 Euro for a 2pm checkout. The staff is direct, engaged and helpful. The single rooms are tiny (think EasyHotel), but with enormous bathrooms. For connectedness by train to all parts of the NL, this is one of the best cheap options (though Qbic hotel near Amsterdam Zuid is a much better value if that's what you're looking for).

Now the bad.

1. I was there for three days, and the Wi-fi never worked properly. Staff (though still friendly) were unable to help people I overheard saying it didn't work for them either. Don't come here if you absolutely need internet access.

2. The walls are paper thin. You will hear your neighbor's conversations, snores, sighs (yes, even sighs) and anything else they might get up to. I've been around a while, and I've never experienced cross-room noise anything like this.

3. The train noise is very present, even on the top floor, at least on one side of the hotel. This, however, is nothing compared to the neighbors noise.

4. When big groups arrive, there can be a long wait for the elevator.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank mayziehead
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking out the time to write your comment here! We really appreciate the feedback and are very aware of our wifi problems. We are working on them at the moment so we hope it will be improved soon.

Thank you again!

Kind regards,

Pirkkala, Finland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our group of 26 people visited Amsterdam some weeks ago. We stayed 3 nights in Meininger Hotel Amsterdam City West. It was a fine place for us. Our trip from Schiphol Airport took only 15 minutes and we reached Main Railway station only in 10 minutes.
The personal of hotel was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, our beds comfortable. and the breakfast diverse and tasty.
I can with pleasure recommend Meininger Hotel Amsterdam City West

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review! We are happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay here and would like to recommend you any one of our other Meiningers in Europe!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a very busy hotel, clean , modern design.
Near to Amsterdam Sloterdijk Train station which can access to Amsterdam Central or Airport easily. Provide Amsterdam map and a lot discuss card.

We reached hotel early in the morning and so we temporary put our luggage at hotel free luggage store room with card access. My laptop was in my big luggage bag with lock. I feel it is quite secure since the luggage room is just beside the reception and need card to access. (tie on a big piece of wood).

However when the day we leaving, we check out earlier and again we put our luggage in their luggage store room. This time I put my laptop in my backpack. Three days in Amsterdam, this city give me a very good impression. I didn't think too much when I left my things there and this cost me lost my laptop and all souvenir that I bought in past three days.

When the time we return to hotel, I found out that my backpack lost! We went to reception and I saw my backpack there however everything inside gone! Receptionist told me that my bag was found in hotel public toilet and they offer to help me to call police (he told me this morning police came before and just left). I would like to thank him (I was too shocked and forgot to ask his name) to help me to call police and explain what happened to police and allow police to check back their CCTV. Amsterdam police are good too, they know I rushing time to airport they promise after key in report to system will post me English version report to my country for me to claim from insurance. (I update lost asset to Dell and Dell request police report too. )

From CCTV we saw that, just right after we left, the thief follow one of the hotel guess go in the store room and pretend busy, after the guest left he start to search from our bag and end up took away my bag. Anyway, I don't think the thief is insider. Hotel staff are helpful in this case. However my dad suspect that one of the long shape black colour bag inside the store room maybe is a device that can detect electronic device in the store room, due to we put our luggage there earlier in the morning and the room was empty except that bag and we saw that bag was there three days ago. I email hotel to let them know what we suspect and they promise will investigate to prevent next victim.

Conclusion, I admit I'm too careless in this case. I got good impression on this hotel and the city and nobody warn me cannot left any valuable things in their store room so I pre-set in mind this is safe! I think this maybe just a special case, I'm careless and too unlucky. I still recommend this since the location consider good and good value. The reason I wrote this case here just to remind everyone always keep in mind don't put any valuable things in public area even it is lock and look secure.

Room Tip: Don't put any valuable things in hotel luggage store room even it is lock.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank YF_84
Meininger H, Front Office Manager at MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking out the time to write your review here. We remember your stay here and are very sorry about the unfortunate event of having your belongings stolen. We hope that you are still able to look back on a nice stay in Amsterdam and hope to welcome you here again!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night. At first it looked like far from everywhere. But it was just 1 train station to Centraal.
The room was clean and spacious with sofa. The interior was nice, very young design.
Breakfast was worth the money. I love this hotel and would like to stay here again!

Stayed May 2014
Meininger H, General Manager at MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your review, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you once more at your next stay in Amsterdam.
Your Meininger Team Amsterdam